How do bad esn's work?

Psj77

Reaction score
If I was to buy a phone off of ebay with a bad esn, would it always have a bad esn or would that eventually go away?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No it is always bad.

Unless you get someone in Verizon willing and able to take it off the list, it is a phone that is considered lost/stolen/broken.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Bad ESN's are never (99.999%) able to be activated.

Trenton

Reaction score
So I bought a droid x on Craigslist back in November... I decided to activate it before I gave the guy my money....1st call to Verizon, they said "sorry this phone is activated on another line bla bla bla" I was pretty sure it was stolen or something after that...2nd call " where'd you get this phone from?" Me: " I bought it from a friend" she hung up on me and the phone was activated with my number.....

Just thought i would share... i don't know for a fact it had a bad esn but....seems like the Verizon rep did me a a solid since she thought I bought the phone from someone..

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I bought a droid x on Craigslist back in November... I decided to activate it before I gave the guy my money....1st call to Verizon, they said "sorry this phone is activated on another line bla bla bla" I was pretty sure it was stolen or something after that...2nd call " where'd you get this phone from?" Me: " I bought it from a friend" she hung up on me and the phone was activated with my number.....

Just thought i would share... i don't know for a fact it had a bad esn but....seems like the Verizon rep did me a a solid since she thought I bought the phone from someone..
I don't quite understand your last paragraph at all. From sitting in the call center a few years ago for VZW I can tell you if the ESN is bad, it cannot be activated. So, apparently the second call you made the person made good on a payment is my guess sometime between the first and second calls.

If an ESN is bad, and suddenly it is able to activate again, the circumstance I can think of most is the person didn't pay the bill and their phone was put on the bad ESN list. If, suddenly a phone is able to be activated again, that person was sent to a collections agency and they paid the bill.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
A phone can have a bad esn because of an unpaid outstanding ballance on the original account as well. If your willing to pay off someone else's bill for a phone that's always an option too.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums