How bright..

Silver Member
Reaction score
auto.

choosing a setting drives me nuts. there's nothing more frustrating than having it at its lowest setting, in bright sunlight, and then trying to figure out where on the screen will turn the brightness back up.

auto ftw.

Auto is a nice feature but you will see it eat more battery life up. Albeit i'm not saying it will be like OMG BATTERY DEAD. But it does make a difference. I set mine to 25% and it seems to work fine, even when i had it set at 35%-40% i could see it more then well enough in the sunlight, at 25% sometimes it's alittle harder.
if you were to use your phone for 2hrs straight, say playing a game, or surfing the web, what would you say the phone says your display usage is after that time?

i know with auto, it's the top-most resource in the list, but it's barely aboe 20% and rarely above 30%.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
auto.

choosing a setting drives me nuts. there's nothing more frustrating than having it at its lowest setting, in bright sunlight, and then trying to figure out where on the screen will turn the brightness back up.

auto ftw.

Auto is a nice feature but you will see it eat more battery life up. Albeit i'm not saying it will be like OMG BATTERY DEAD. But it does make a difference. I set mine to 25% and it seems to work fine, even when i had it set at 35%-40% i could see it more then well enough in the sunlight, at 25% sometimes it's alittle harder.
if you were to use your phone for 2hrs straight, say playing a game, or surfing the web, what would you say the phone says your display usage is after that time?

i know with auto, it's the top-most resource in the list, but it's barely aboe 20% and rarely above 30%.

Good point, I'll have to remember that. Just d/l some emulators and was going to fire them up after lunch.

To the OP it will also depend on where and when you use it. I'm constantly going from inside to outside and from well lit to poorly lit rooms. So not dealing with changing it manually is worth the little battery drain. If you have a more stable light source (i.e. you're always at a desk or something) then manual may not be as bad.

strobez395

Reaction score
I keep it at zero, i have the brightness widget so if I go into sunlight and need to do something its easy enough. I had it on auto for a while but it eats at the battery too much when I can't be near a computer/power source

Silver Member
Reaction score
i probably get a hard 4+ hrs of gameplay with the emulators on auto brightness before i need to start worrying about the battery. i usually try to limit myself to 1-2 hours as i tend to play the games after the phone has been off of the charger for a few hours.

OP
Edmvr6

Edmvr6

Reaction score
Does anyone keep it at the brightest setting all the time?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i have it at lowest settings i'd say about 80% of the time. When there is a glare i bump it up to medium and that's plenty bright. Saves alot more battery than Auto setting too, imo.

scully

Reaction score
I keep mine at full brightness all of the time. It does tend to eat the battery a little quicker than if it was lower, but I enjoy how it looks at full brightness.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Full Brightness here during the day.....On low during the evening hours.:motdroidvert:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
auto.

auto ftw.

I've usually never had it that high before, i've played gem miner for awhile before, but that was also while the phone had been off the charger for awhile, so the % wouldn't have truely been accurate, but when i set it to 25-30% i did see a big difference in the % used in the battery usage though. When using auto i always noticed that it always set it alot higher then "I" needed it to be. I know some people are different so to each their own :)

Moondonkey

Reaction score
I keep mine at like 25% most the time.

I bump it up to 100% if I am going to be driving for a while and have it plugged into my cigarette lighter and car dock. It makes it easier to see the song titles on Pandora.

mark1wat

Reaction score
I keep it at zero, i have the power widget up so if I need to, I just turn it up real quick. I like the brightest setting, but I like the longer battery life more. Plus, I got used to it and it I don't even think about it anymore.