Hot Reboot- Taking The Time Out Of A Restart

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;3L-2Rz5Rb3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-2Rz5Rb3o]YouTube - Hot Reboot for Android, Cuts Reboot Time in Half[/video]

We are all power users here, we restart our phones quite often and that is not a problem. The problem is when you restart your phone a lot... It takes too much time, and usually we are in a hurry (well I always am). Now you do not have to worry about that with Hot Reboot, an application that made it to the app store and is for rooted devices that want a quicker boot time.

The video shows this speed in great details, and even goes the extra steps to compare it to the new Droid 2.

When you get this keep two things in mind.
1) You will not get the speed the Incredible or Desire has that was ported from the Desire HD
2) You will have to be rooted, but by now... I am sure we all are.

So if this is something your interested, hit the talk button on your device and get it from the app store.

Via: Droid-Life

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Funny thing is, I only boot my phone once a week at most. And gee whiz...I can actually tolerate waiting! Talk about "short-attention-span" society. :)

-Matt

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
YouTube - Hot Reboot for Android, Cuts Reboot Time in Half

We are all power users here, we restart our phones quite often and that is not a problem. The problem is when you restart your phone a lot... It takes too much time, and usually we are in a hurry (well I always am). Now you do not have to worry about that with Hot Reboot, an application that made it to the app store and is for rooted devices that want a quicker boot time.

The video shows this speed in great details, and even goes the extra steps to compare it to the new Droid 2.

When you get this keep two things in mind.
1) You will not get the speed the Incredible or Desire has that was ported from the Desire HD
2) You will have to be rooted, but by now... I am sure we all are.

So if this is something your interested, hit the talk button on your device and get it from the app store.

Via: Droid-Life

I don't think I need an app that's going to reduce the boot time by about 30 seconds, and that would only be used if you are doing a reboot. If your phone is turned off in the first place that app doesn't help at all. Plus as he mentions you have to be rooted to use the app, many of us are not.

Interesting app however, just not something I would use. I liked quick boot when I was rooted because that would allow me to boot into recovery or to reboot. Didn't make booting any faster but having to not hold down the X key to reboot into recovery was nice.

Another thing too….coming from the Blackberry Storm world where a reboot takes almost 5 minutes it seems like every boot on the Droid is quick anyway. :) Now that was a slow boot time.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think I need an app that's going to reduce the boot time by about 30 seconds, and that would only be used if you are doing a reboot. If your phone is turned off in the first place that app doesn't help at all. Plus as he mentions you have to be rooted to use the app, many of us are not.

Interesting app however, just not something I would use. I liked quick boot when I was rooted because that would allow me to boot into recovery or to reboot. Didn't make booting any faster but having to not hold down the X key to reboot into recovery was nice.

Another thing too….coming from the Blackberry Storm world where a reboot takes almost 5 minutes it seems like every boot on the Droid is quick anyway. :) Now that was a slow boot time.

I'm with you, Hook. It looks like all this does is respawn the GUI. It's not a "true" reboot. It's more akin to typing "startx" at the Linux command prompt on a Linux box. Of course, the Linux kernel IS designed for 24/7 uptime; so this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just that when I reboot my Droid, it's worth the few extra seconds to me to ensure i'm fully rebooted.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
On the other hand... if you are rooted and do a lot of app testing, tickering, apk swapping, and/or use MetaMorph much all all etc , etc it is VERY handy to "refresh" the system to see the changes you made.

Typically you would have to do a full reboot everytime you do anything like that to see these changes. Plus when booting like this you also don't have to wait for the increased time Froyo takes after normal reboots to scan the SC card for apps installed there.

AND, if you do stuff like that dozens and dozens of times a day...it is a MAJOR time saver.

Last edited:

jmed99

Reaction score
What;s the difference in a hot reboot and a battery pull? When would doing a hot reboot be as good as a battery pull (or a normal reboot)?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
What;s the difference in a hot reboot and a battery pull? When would doing a hot reboot be as good as a battery pull (or a normal reboot)?

Battery pull is a FULL Reboot, no different from powering the phone down and then turning it on again.

Thsi "Hot Reboot" is for lack of a better term a "half" reboot. The reboot starts where the Boot Animation begins on a Normal full reboot...instead of the very beginning. Basically it doesn't refresh the "core system" of the phone, just the "upper layer" (apps etc ) of the system.

everstar80

Reaction score
The booting time on my lg ally was over two minutes while the droid 2 takes only thirty seconds so it soulds like a cool app but it wouldn't do much for me. As long as it is less than fourty five seconds.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I still want an app for the Droid like QuickPull for the Blackberries, so I could schedule it to do that everyday before I wake up.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just give me hibernation already. Why does cvpcs have to be so tied up in working on Obsidian...