Horrible camera, need solution.

iPirate

Reaction score
OP
Neko

Neko

Reaction score
Steve H: Everything I seen was pretty much set on "Auto"

adrynalyyne & gentlefury: You both have very nice photos.

Cowpoke: AMEN!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Auto is bad news for this camera. The app isn't smart enough to use correct settings for the situation.

hacku

Reaction score
I understand that people might not be 100% satisfied with the quality of the pictures the phone takes, especially when compared to other camera phones. But the thing you have to realize, is that it's a camera phone. If you take A LOT of pictures and they are that important to you to have a good image quality, then buy yourself a compact point and shoot camera and use that instead. Problem solved... ;)

butch350

Reaction score
I love taking photos just like anyone else but I NEVER seen a camera phone so horrible!

Is there an app that can help take better photos? If they did a software update to the Droid to make the camera better, that was a joke. What can I do or download?

Have you tried using the camera settings menu to adjust for various
shooting situations?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It sucks because they went for marketing rather than quality. a 5 mp camera grabs everyones attention, but trying to shove 5 mp into such a small sensor gives you crappy quality, especially in low light.

Also, they seem to combat the low light issue by using a high ISO. This keep lets you take pictures in low light with a faster shutter speed so that you dont have to stay perfectly still. The trade off is the horrible grainyness (Noise).. I don't know why we cant select which ISO to use.

Had Motorola just used a 3 mp camera we would all be plenty happy with the pictures.

I think the only fix could be if they give us control over the iso, and include some sort of high quality noise reduction.

I had a samsung sync before this, i think it was 3 mp, and it took very nice pics. These are very poor for such a large phone.

I agree, the photos on my LG voyager were much better. But just tried the camera magic as recommended above and does seem to help.

OP
Neko

Neko

Reaction score
hacku: Your reply "If you take A LOT of pictures and they are that important to you to have a good image quality, then buy yourself a compact point and shoot camera and use that instead. Problem solved..."

Hmm, not so sure about that. I wasnt due for an upgrade so I paid over $500 for my Droid, well even if I paid $100 I would expect to get at least good photos I'm not saying "The Best" photos, just good ones, nice lighting, no graininess etc. It's a shame now that I know I HAVE to take my phone and my camera if I go anywhere because I shoot photos all the time. I shouldn't have to do that.

butch350: I have tried many camera settings pics are pretty much the same. My cats are running away from me now taking to many photos, I think they might see me as a "paparazzi".

spazma7ik

Reaction score
This argument that "it's camera phone, don't expect much" is horribly overplayed and annoying.

Like others have posted, my enV Touch, Chocolate 2, and LG Dare (all LG phones lol) have taken AMAZING pictures, and 2 of those were 3.2 MP and one was 2.0 MP. It has nothing to do with it being a camera phone, paying this much should yield great pictures, especially if they are advertising it with a 5 MP camera.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Are you comparing them on the phone or full size?

Because I will be frank:

My LG Dare took crappy pictures, but they looked great...on the phone anyway.

spazma7ik

Reaction score
Regardless of whether they were on the phone or not, they looked better. Maybe you got jipped on your Dare? Did you go in and get all of the software updates for it? I don't know, but the quality was overall better looking.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Lets think about this for a minute. It matters quite a bit if they were on the phone or not. Throw a Droid taken photo on your Dare and then compare how it looks. I bet it looks pretty good.

As for me being jipped....if you say so. There are many a thread on the craptastic camera on the Dare. I wasn't the only one.

Why does everyone think if you disagree with their opinion, that you got jipped, or your phone is broken, etc, etc?

gentlefury

Reaction score
Are you comparing them on the phone or full size?

Because I will be frank:

My LG Dare took crappy pictures, but they looked great...on the phone anyway.

WHAT? My dare was one of the best cameras until I got my droid!

San Diego Zoo taken with my Dare:

0803081115c.jpg

0803081653.jpg

0803081654.jpg

Panarama stitched internally with the Dare!

Maybe you people just dont know how to take a picture...

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Maybe you people just dont know how to take a picture...

My Tour took pictures a lot better than that.

Maybe you should respect others opinions instead of insulting them?

OP
Neko

Neko

Reaction score
Believe me I can take a photo...

Your Dare pics are nice, the tortoise is so cute I wish I could throw him a head a lettuce :)