Horrible camera, need solution.

nyijedi

Reaction score
Those shots are consistent with the pictures I get on both my Droid and my wife's Droid. Grainy in imperfect light situations and blurry (even with autofocus) if there is any movement.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Those shots are consistent with the pictures I get on both my Droid and my wife's Droid. Grainy in imperfect light situations and blurry (even with autofocus) if there is any movement.
Yep , have to agree , terrible picture quality , I had a cheap LG 3.2mp phone that would take better pictures than the Droid .

OP
Neko

Neko

Reaction score
I just checked.... auto focus enabled!

Is there something we can do about this, something we can get from the Market?

OP
Neko

Neko

Reaction score
Those photos from the Tours are wonderful! Now I'm really jealous :mad:

I wouldnt complaint about the camera to much but I do use my camera "a lot". I have 7 cats and I love taking photos of them, losing out on a precious photo of one of my cats swinging from the drapes or sitting in the garbage can, and of course my favorite pix are when then get a hold of a roll of TP and string the house with it! I DONT want those photos to be dark, grainy, and blahhhh.

nyijedi

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much we can do about this. It's more a limitation of the camera hardware than a software problem.

iPirate

Reaction score
Camera Magic works wonders...Love the pictures it takes.
Just tried camera magic. It was useless....

I took pictures but it didnt save them? It turns on my GPS but doesn't use it? :icon_eek:

Cowpoke

Reaction score
It sucks because they went for marketing rather than quality. a 5 mp camera grabs everyones attention, but trying to shove 5 mp into such a small sensor gives you crappy quality, especially in low light.

Also, they seem to combat the low light issue by using a high ISO. This keep lets you take pictures in low light with a faster shutter speed so that you dont have to stay perfectly still. The trade off is the horrible grainyness (Noise).. I don't know why we cant select which ISO to use.

Had Motorola just used a 3 mp camera we would all be plenty happy with the pictures.

I think the only fix could be if they give us control over the iso, and include some sort of high quality noise reduction.

I had a samsung sync before this, i think it was 3 mp, and it took very nice pics. These are very poor for such a large phone.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Google is the reason we don't have control over the ISO settings, not Motorola.

gentlefury

Reaction score
2009-12-31%2021.29.16.jpg

That's a night shot.

2010-01-23%2014.03.04.jpg

That's a pretty lowlight day shot.

Don't forget it is a phone...but it does a damn good job!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This is easily the best camera phone out there. I don't know what this guy is talking about.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what this guy is talking about, hmmmm I'm not a guy I'm a girl :)

Anyhooo here are some photo comparisons and the poor quality of the camera in my opinion.

Photo-1

I took my kitty to the vet, the vet's place is very bright and the photo is dark.

Landisatvet.jpg

Photo-2

My Alaskan Malamute taking a nap. He moved a little but photo is horrible, Grainy, Dark and the lights were on.

jalbum_1
shilohdroid.jpg

Photo-3 "Taken from my LG Voyager"

This is me :)

3.jpg

I did not take shots outside yet with my Droid, I am to sick to go outside. But I'm guessing the results might be the same? Grainy? Etc???

Here is a shot from mine. Its rainy and miserable outside, but anyway....

Steve H

Reaction score
Neko

Have you gone thru all the settings? The cat picture seems to have the white balance wrong and the dog pic may have been better if you had the camera set for "action".