Home screen lag

SmD71nG

Reaction score
This issue is getting really annoying...I searched to see if it was addressed before and found nothing. But every so often (more often than not) when I exit out from an app with the home button or even just exiting backwards or even selecting exit from within an app, all my shortcuts don't show up and the screen doesn't respond from anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
This is my 3rd Droid 1 within 8 months and I have to say next to the screen dying on me twice before, this has to be the biggest pain in the ass thing about the Droid!
Anyone have this same issue and if so anyone manage to increase the refresh time on the home screen.

My Droid is a stocked Droid 1 running froyo 2.2 FRG22D. Hope I gave a detailed enough description. Thanks for the help in advance.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Fonzz

Reaction score
Same stock phone, same issue. I have not tried anything to "fix" it though, I just find something else to do/wait.
Will be watching this thread for any solutions.

OP
S

SmD71nG

Reaction score
One thing I found that helped reduce the refresh time is doing a long press on the home button to the recent used app screen. But that is still not a consistent fix it only reduce the amount of time slightly.

aethies

Reaction score
Yeah. I have been having this same issue more and more, longer and longer. It is getting to the point that I am ready to get off of MOTO Droid completely.

mikemags

Reaction score
i am having the same issue i am thinking about taking the phone back in and have vzw look at it

husker_fan

Reaction score
Bump

Same problem, same phone, don't get it, this phone has always been fast, but this issue sucks

OP
S

SmD71nG

Reaction score
The update to 2.2 froyo is what made the issue more prominent. It wasn't this bad at all on 2.1 so I don't think Verizon can do anything, it seems more like a goggle issue.

turdbogls

Reaction score
it is an OS issue. basically since the Droid 1 only has 256mb RAM, the launcher is being killed off by the task killer to open up space. not a whole lot you can do unless you are rooted (search screen redraws for fix)

one thing you can do is get launcher Pro, Download Folder organizer, put all apps in a folder, make your "launcher icon" the folder with all the apps, then go into general settings, hidden apps, and hide all apps.
i did this yesterday and i have not had a single redraw....now i am rooted, Overclocked, and i have applied the data/local.prop "fix" already, but another guy seems to have had good (not perfect) results doing this while stock.

BigZig

Reaction score
Yes this is a problem in the OS. I know people are scared to root but its really not that hard and the pros out weight the cons by a long shot. I just installed Steel Droid 2.0.0 and chevy has cut down the size of the stock launcher and I have had no re draws at all and I have 7 widgets on 5 screens with 2 app shortcuts on each screen. Worth the risk.

jcolt

Reaction score
I have had this problem as well, although my Droid 1 is rooted and OC. I use LauncherPro and have 7 screens and a probably 4-5 widgets. Any time I would leave an app I had horrible lag or "redraw issues." It could take minutes for my home screen to come back. I came accross this post early this week and it has solved all of my issues (however, I believe you will need to be root to apply this).

Directions are as follows: Credit to samsonite801

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal,

type su and enter.
Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter.
Then reboot.
Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag.

If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/ local.prop

pdc419

Reaction score
I don't know if this would help, but go into launcherpro preferences and in the advanced settings there are memory presets. Try playing around with those. I have the paid for launcherpro app, so I'm not sure if you can do it in the free one. Good luck

maverick31210

Reaction score
I have had this problem as well, although my Droid 1 is rooted and OC. I use LauncherPro and have 7 screens and a probably 4-5 widgets. Any time I would leave an app I had horrible lag or "redraw issues." It could take minutes for my home screen to come back. I came accross this post early this week and it has solved all of my issues (however, I believe you will need to be root to apply this).

Directions are as follows: Credit to samsonite801

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal,

type su and enter.
Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter.
Then reboot.
Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag.

If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/ local.prop

Will try right now, what exactly does this do though?

OP
S

SmD71nG

Reaction score
I think it only works for rooted droids.