Hi Guys

potownrob

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just picked up a Droid (the original one) and have been having fun with it. Had a Blackberry before this and dumbphones before that; this seems a lot better though I'm still getting used to the interface.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome to the forums......

I still own the Droid 1 and still appreciate it as I did when I bought it almost a year ago.

Enjoy it and the forums.

Great to have you here!

Sent from my Droid

OP
potownrob

potownrob

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad I got that Advanced App Killer - it's amazing how many things run on their own and stay running on there. Of course, the Blackberry wasn't much better in that regard...

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure app killers do more harm than good

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
potownrob

potownrob

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure app killers do more harm than good

seriously?? well, i changed it so it shuts itself down along with the other programs/apps, in case it's a memory hog itself. angry birds await my return...:laugh:

Feathersnpaws

Reaction score
How did you change it so it shuts itself down?
Why is ATK more harmful than useful?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Search "task killers, the answer from google and the developers" i'd post a link but I'm at work.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Feathersnpaws

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you! Getting rude of task killer now. Verizon Rep installed mine when I bought it. Figures.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Never let a VZW Rep touch your Droid - No good can come of it :D

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

OP
potownrob

potownrob

Reaction score
Get rid of the task killer.... you're putting the equivalent of a pace maker in a healthy heart.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html
are you saying the droid closes things you leave open or that open themselves for notifications etc on its own?? that's not what i'm seeing when i open ATK, and the droid does get slower the longer i go without killing the apps...to have ATK close itself when it closes other programs, just leave the check marked next to ATK in the kill list.

OP
potownrob

potownrob

Reaction score
Get rid of the task killer.... you're putting the equivalent of a pace maker in a healthy heart.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html
are you saying the droid closes things you leave open or that open themselves for notifications etc on its own?? that's not what i'm seeing when i open ATK, and the droid does get slower the longer i go without killing the apps...to have ATK close itself when it closes other programs, just leave the check marked next to ATK in the kill list.
ok, i actually read the link this time and it makes some sense. i changed the settings so it doesn't auto-kill but i will probably still have to use it to keep the droid from running slow.

OP
potownrob

potownrob

Reaction score
what are you seeing when you open ATK?
it depends on when i go into ATK. I usually see at least Voice Search, News and Weather and Visual Task Switcher, which i think i have either as widgets or on the home screen. If I leave the phone idle for a while or in some other cases, I come back to find other programs open either from being polled for notifications or things I used and am no longer using but didn't close properly (sometimes I can't figure out how to close programs). I now understand why it keeps things open but, realistically, at least the way my phone is set up, it will slow down a lot if I don't kill the apps. When my phone sits idle and I come back to it, it usually runs slow until I kill things :unsure:. Thanks for your help and advice guys and I like how cool this forum is :gotmyvote:.