Help with PDANet

PatG

Reaction score
I just downloaded PDANet to my phone (Droid 1, Version 2.2) and installed the PC component on my Windows 7 (32 bit) laptop. Everything seems to have worked, but I can't access the internet. The PC connects to the phone, no problem.

The only problem I see is that a PDANet puts up a window saying "Setting up broadband". Then the program seems to hang since the window does not go away. I still can access the icon, and connect / disconnect.

When trying to access the internet, nothing happens. The display on my phone says 0 bytes send / received.

I have USB Debugging set to on. Is there anything I am missing here?

Thanks.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Bump...

Still can't get it to work. Turned off / on USB debugging, connected first to the PC before turning on tethering, turned off WiFi on my laptop... nothing works. I know that for most of you everything works, but what exactly is supposed to happen after the connection from the PC to the phone is established?

Is Firefox or IE just supposed to work? Just as simple as that?

jacobrv

Reaction score
After the connection is established it should "just work." Make sure both the phone and computer have the same version. Try uninstalling the PC one and reinstall with admin privileges (right click -> run as admin). Did you restart the computer after installing? Umm, idk, that's all I can think of at the moment.

PS. If you are rooted I would just get wired tether for root users. It's like PDANet but does not need a computer installed part. It works with standard ethernet drivers that should be installed in every modern computer already.

Last edited:
OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Did you start pdanet on the phone?

I assume so since the screen showing bytes send / received came up. Unfortunately those numbers stayed at 0.

My Droid is also not rooted.

_Mario

Reaction score
Did you start pdanet on the phone?

I assume so since the screen showing bytes send / received came up. Unfortunately those numbers stayed at 0.

My Droid is also not rooted.

Yea, if it shows that it means you turned on the USB tethering. It might sound basic, but did you make sure that the PDANet PC application is running? And if it is running, did you right click on it and click connect after plugging your phone into your computer?

Ya never know if something small like that might be what's holding you up.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Yes, I made sure everything is running. The PC application came up; I hit connect, and that's when the window showing bytes transmitted / received came up on my phone. However, still no go. It must have something to do with my laptop. I even tried other USB ports with no luck.

Interestingly enough, I brought up the SMS service and tried to send out a text message. That worked!! So the PC is talking to the phone and able to send out messages. Also, when I do a ipconfig in an MS Dos window it does not come up with a valid IP address for the PC. However, I suspect that may be normal.

soatari

Reaction score
Yes, I made sure everything is running. The PC application came up; I hit connect, and that's when the window showing bytes transmitted / received came up on my phone. However, still no go. It must have something to do with my laptop. I even tried other USB ports with no luck.

Interestingly enough, I brought up the SMS service and tried to send out a text message. That worked!! So the PC is talking to the phone and able to send out messages. Also, when I do a ipconfig in an MS Dos window it does not come up with a valid IP address for the PC. However, I suspect that may be normal.

Does the message on your computer still say "Setting up broadband"? I found that the application is very sensitive when you install it. I suggest uninstalling the windows application, and make sure that when you start to install it again that your phone is not plugged into your computer. Go through the install process until it prompts you to plug back in. Then it will automatically finish. I have found that to solve the stuck on "Setting up broadband".

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Does the message on your computer still say "Setting up broadband"? I found that the application is very sensitive when you install it. I suggest uninstalling the windows application, and make sure that when you start to install it again that your phone is not plugged into your computer. Go through the install process until it prompts you to plug back in. Then it will automatically finish. I have found that to solve the stuck on "Setting up broadband".

I uninstalled and installed the PC application 3 times. Same result. Everything installs just fine. The phone connects to the computer, but it is stuck on "Setting up broadband"

ffej89

Reaction score
Another thing you can do is try Easy Tether. If it works then its a pdanet issue and if not then its something else.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Another thing you can do is try Easy Tether. If it works then its a pdanet issue and if not then its something else.

Already tried that right after PDAnet wouldn't work. Same Result with Easy Tether, it did not work. So I think it has something to do with my PC. Maybe the Virus protection or some Windows 7 setting.

REMilk

Reaction score
When I installed PDANET last winter, I encountered a similar problem. After researching on the PDANET set, I found the following which fixed my problem; I think you should try this.

Disconnect the phone for the PC/Laptop, then on your Droid,

Settings/Applications/Development/

Make sure there is a check mark in "USB Debugging"

Start PDANet
Connect the Droid to the Computer with the USB cable
On the computer connect using the PDANet icon

You should be connected.

For Easytether:
Connect Droid to laptop
Using the Easytether icon, connect

You should be connected.

I have both on my Droid (stock 2.2) and laptop (Windows XP) and they co-exist fine.

Good Luck,
Bob

Judi421

Reaction score
Me too!!!

I am having the same problem too. Just got a Dell mini 1012 running windows xp and can't get PDANET or Easytether to work. Droid connects just fine to my regular laptop running windows 7. I get the "Setting up broadband" message too and I have to right click and click on Exit to get it to stop. I also get SMS messages while attached but no internet connection! Have you found a solution yet?

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
I am having the same problem too. Just got a Dell mini 1012 running windows xp and can't get PDANET or Easytether to work. Droid connects just fine to my regular laptop running windows 7. I get the "Setting up broadband" message too and I have to right click and click on Exit to get it to stop. I also get SMS messages while attached but no internet connection! Have you found a solution yet?

No solution. I have tried connection, disconnecting, rebooting, uninstall, etc. It always is the same. Phone connects great, but it is stuck on the "setting up broadband" message. I wish there would be some type of debug log that the windows application generates or something else to look at. But at this point I have pretty much given up.

Lamini

Reaction score
BUMP

same issue here. FYI this use to work (pdanet). only thing i can remember was updating to latest firmware for phone.

installed w7 x64 version of pdanet on computer, and did the pdanet thing from droid market as well. after enabling on phone, setting usb to usb mass storage (not that I havent already tried all the other modes already - (they dont work either). Then run it from the computer, stuck on "setting up broadband...". Was there a resolution or fix to this that I missed? Thanks! Yes, uninstalled, reinstallled, latest versions, bla bla bla.