Help! Weird Battery issue

MyDroid23

Reaction score
The last two roms I've had running ran into a high display % draining my battery and not charging. My first rom I experienced this with was BB1.1. After running BB1.1 for about a couple of months I left my phone on the wall charger overnight>woke up to see my phone did not charge and it was really hot. I tried charging my droid on the laptop and car and both failed. Keep in mind I did a battery pull and that didn't help either. So, I let the phone drain all the way down till it powered itself off and tried charging again on the wall charger. That helped for a day. Frustrated to the point of going insane I decided to try another rom. Downloaded froyo kangerade v1.0 and that seem to have solved the issue. Moving forward one week the same thing just happened to me. Left the phone connected to the laptop to charge overnight and it didn't charge and its failed to charge all day today.

Anyone else having this issue?

F.Y.I I have noticed under settings>about>battery usage>my display is abnormally higher like 55% and higher. It's higher than everything else using up battery.

Thanks in advance

brando56894

Reaction score
Let the screen auto dim? Turn GPS off? Sounds like something is draining the battery faster than it can charge it....

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
The screen is always going to drain the bulk of your battery ;)

At any rate, I got your problem solved. A while back I tried running a custome rom with a custom kernel. The phone wouldn't charge at all, even when I plugged it up. Turns out, both the custom rom and the kernel need to be 100% compatible.

Try a different rom yet again, and be sure its 100% compatible and stable, and that the dev says explicitly that nothing is broken. I know a lot of people had sucess with kanged stuff, while others didn't. My fix for this issue: I downloaded rom manager and rom manager premium, then went with simply stunning rom and kernel. Noob fix I know, but hey, it worked, and absolutely everythig works on my phone.

OP
MyDroid23

MyDroid23

Reaction score
The screen is always going to drain the bulk of your battery ;)

At any rate, I got your problem solved. A while back I tried running a custome rom with a custom kernel. The phone wouldn't charge at all, even when I plugged it up. Turns out, both the custom rom and the kernel need to be 100% compatible.

Try a different rom yet again, and be sure its 100% compatible and stable, and that the dev says explicitly that nothing is broken. I know a lot of people had sucess with kanged stuff, while others didn't. My fix for this issue: I downloaded rom manager and rom manager premium, then went with simply stunning rom and kernel. Noob fix I know, but hey, it worked, and absolutely everythig works on my phone.

Exactly, my phone wouldn't charge at all plugged in. I don't understand why this is happening with a rom/kernel config I've been running for more than a week?? the same battery problem happened to my bb 1.1 install a month after running it with 7slot 1.0gh kernel. I haven't installed a different kernel besides the one Kangerade v.1 comes with and I'm starting to see history repeating itself. :icon_evil:

OP
MyDroid23

MyDroid23

Reaction score
Let the screen auto dim? Turn GPS off? Sounds like something is draining the battery faster than it can charge it....

That's not the culprit. My gps and auto dim have been on since day one out of the box. Never had any issues with that setting or a rom and all of a sudden it starts to act up. Does this sound like a warranty claim?? I hope not

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
No, it really doesn't explain why it would start happening out of the blue like that; but it is an avenue that you may want to look down. to be honest, I'm not sure there is an explanation as to why it would start doing that, heres my mode of thinking:

You where running a rom before, and the issue occured.
To fix the issue, you changed your rom and that worked.
That leads me to think that its a software issue, and not a hardware issue.
Now, after resolving the issue through this method, the issue is starting to reoccur.
You should be able to fix it the same way?
I'm thinking that something changed in your software environment to make your OS not recognize that its being charged. Maybe a new app? (Which, to the best of my knowledge the JVM shouldn't alow for that) Or perhaps a change to the core system, i.e. a new kernel or something.

So lets try the easy button, before we try the hard button. If this fix resolves your issue, then we're golden. If not, post back here with your exact ROM version and kernel version numbers and we will go from that. :) Hope tis works bro.

OP
MyDroid23

MyDroid23

Reaction score
No, it really doesn't explain why it would start happening out of the blue like that; but it is an avenue that you may want to look down. to be honest, I'm not sure there is an explanation as to why it would start doing that, heres my mode of thinking:

You where running a rom before, and the issue occured.
To fix the issue, you changed your rom and that worked.
That leads me to think that its a software issue, and not a hardware issue.
Now, after resolving the issue through this method, the issue is starting to reoccur.
You should be able to fix it the same way?
I'm thinking that something changed in your software environment to make your OS not recognize that its being charged. Maybe a new app? (Which, to the best of my knowledge the JVM shouldn't alow for that) Or perhaps a change to the core system, i.e. a new kernel or something.

So lets try the easy button, before we try the hard button. If this fix resolves your issue, then we're golden. If not, post back here with your exact ROM version and kernel version numbers and we will go from that. :) Hope tis works bro.

Baseband version C_01.43.01P

Kernel version 2.6.32.9-g103d848
android-build@apa26 #1

Build number Froyo Kangerade V1.0 running blueberry, no setcpu, and adwlauncher.

My phone is fine today :) Battery indicates I've been unplugged for 11hrs 42min with 80% left. That's what I normally get from Kangerade v1.0. I'm worried it might be an app I have that's running in the background with it not showing in running apps. Would that be possible?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Your using a task killer correct, or even an automated task manager? If your using a typical task killer, then every user app that loads into the JVM will show up there, and can be killed. Some task killers even allow rooted users to see system tasks and kill some of those as well, even though I wouldn't recommend it because most will just reload, and they don't tax the system to terribly bad to begin with.

Do you use juice defender. If not, I think you would like it. To the best of my knowledge some of the functions wont be available to you due to the rom your using, but the features that are available to you are what the app really shines for. It can greatly add to your battery life, currently it tells me that I'm getting about 1.8% more charge than I would typically. It does so by automatically turning the APN on and off based on brodcasts from the system. For instance, when the screen is off, it turns the APN off.

OP
MyDroid23

MyDroid23

Reaction score
Your using a task killer correct, or even an automated task manager? If your using a typical task killer, then every user app that loads into the JVM will show up there, and can be killed. Some task killers even allow rooted users to see system tasks and kill some of those as well, even though I wouldn't recommend it because most will just reload, and they don't tax the system to terribly bad to begin with.

Do you use juice defender. If not, I think you would like it. To the best of my knowledge some of the functions wont be available to you due to the rom your using, but the features that are available to you are what the app really shines for. It can greatly add to your battery life, currently it tells me that I'm getting about 1.8% more charge than I would typically. It does so by automatically turning the APN on and off based on brodcasts from the system. For instance, when the screen is off, it turns the APN off.

I have apollo task manager on my sd and decided on not installing it with my curent rom. You sound like a juice defender sales guy pitching...haha. Is it free? Looking it up now.

Happy 4th of July! Be thankful we live in the greatest country in the WORLD.dancedroid

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Yeah, wish I got some commision though lol

But there is a free version and a pay version, unless your running cyanogen I would recommend the free version. In the free version you only have a few options available like I said, and you cant configure the settings; but the settings that it comes loaded with are just about right anyway.