Help! Noob installed liberty 2.0.1 on D2G and have no cell signal!

Aces

Reaction score
So I'm a complete noob with rooting and all this phone stuff. Basically, I downloaded liberty for my droid 2 global and I can't get a signal. Wifi works, but it will not let me configure network settings for verizon, and keeps putting itself into airplane mode. I did not back up any other roms or the original system, I looked thru everything on the reboot with bootstrap in my sd card files, just liberty.. What can I do to either make liberty work right on this phone or get back to stock or another rom so I can use my phone again?

ksjanes

Reaction score
Install D2G_Romer_v7.zip

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
A

Aces

Reaction score
Ok so like I said I am a noob. I am terrible at this stuff. I tried to get that rom for it on there and either it didn't work or I didn't do it right. I basically got frustrated and formatted/deleted everything I could, now when my phone starts up there is a purple diamond and then an infinate amount of popups saying nothing properly loaded, and the only way to get it to stop is to take out the battery.

Am I at the point of no hope for return for a working phone again by basically destroying it internally? Or do I have a chance at restoring it if I take it to someone who knows what they are doing?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is why you need to do research before doing anything to your phone! Did you do any reading before flashing liberty? You needed to use the v7 rommer tool. You should have made a backup first after rooting and now you'll need to sbf which you should have learned how to do before you even rooted. Not trying to be a douche but cmon man. I would start checking into sbf asap.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remember the d2 and the d2g are very different phones!

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Looks like you'll need to SBF.

I would recommend spending a good part of a day reading before you do ANYTHING on your phone related to rooting and ROMing.

OP
A

Aces

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely didn't do enough research, and thought there was hardly a difference between D2 and D2G. So yeah, I'm gonna read what I can and hopefully comprehend something about sbf, just take my time and try to restore my phone to working order. Thanks for replying though, I'm sure I'll have questions about the whole sbf process soon.

OP
A

Aces

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global SBF File (2.4.29) Full and RSDLite

So after reading this article, I have a couple questions. Can I do this all just from my phone, or do I need to use my computer too? Also for the sbf files, do I only have to download the first one, or both that and the sbf mirror? This stuff is just all so confusing to me I'm sorry I have to struggle to comprehend this stuff, I just want to have a solid understanding so I can have a solid, working phone.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK. You will need the full sbf file (the mirror is just another link to the same file. You will need rsd lite 4.9 (install this on your computer. Once the sbf file is dl, extract it to the desktop (rsd lite won't recognize it unless it's unzipped). Make sure you have the latest moto drivers (this will let your phone communicate with the computer). When ready open rsd lite 4.9, and click the box with (...), find and select the full sbf file. Put your phone in bootloader mode by holding power and the up key on the keyboard. It will be a black screen that says ok to program etc.... plug your phone into the computer and it should show up in rsd on the left window (its ok if it says s flash) now hit start and let it do its thing. When it's finished your phone will reboot and you should be good. I'm happy to talk you through it if you want. Let me know and I'll send you my phone number

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
ldopa has you on the right track on the SBF part. It is also imperative that you do research before you make any kind of big change to your phone. I know others have already told you but when I say it is "imperative" I mean it is no joke and no short-cutting it. There are way too many D2G users trying to do the same exact procedures as what DX and D2 users do and they can't be doing that.

While you are right that D2 and D2G are very similar, they are still different in many ways and require separate porting such as themes, ROMs, and anything else.

You also need to keep in mind that not ALL ROMs that work for D2 or DX is automatically going to work for D2G. So, you need to keep that in mind and check to see if the newer ROMs are compatible for the D2G (ported over). As far as I know, anything from Liberty 2.0.1 and downward will only work on the D2G with the help of Git R Done Rommer.

Before you even think about installing and flashing ROMs and themes you need to ALWAYS have a means of getting your D2G back to stock or any files/tools to help the process in going back or fixing a critical error.

So yes, before you get to flashing a ROM, research and get familiar with the process of rooting, process of SBF, process of using Git R Done Rommer and what ROMs it will support and anything else associated with what I mentioned. It also doesn't hurt to read through various threads talking about issues and such. You can really benefit from those kinds of threads and other threads talking about fixes, work-around, extra features, etc. That way you'll know if you run into something you'll be like "hey I saw a thread talking about this issue I'm having, I should go find it and solve my problem."

Good luck with the SBF.

OP
A

Aces

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help guys, I actually found somebody around here to fix it up for me. Its still rooted but seems pretty much stock, and its running smoother than it was before I started messing with it. Now I can breathe and will think carefully and read a lot more before I take action so I don't panic about the possibility of not having a workable phone.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 for swagger. I'm glad you got it all sorted but it really is a good idea to learn how to do these things yourself. It brings a level of confidence and responsibility, where having others do it for you just keeps you in the dark and dependant on them. Nevertheless im happy you're back online