Help me choose between rooted and not rooted phone

rodmar

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my first smartphone, a Droid 2. I am trying to choose between used phones from two reputable
sellers. Since I am a newcomer to using the Android system, would it be better to purchase the phone that has been
rooted or not been rooted? I don't know whether there would be a steeper learning curve with a rooted phone and greater ease of use with a non-rooted phone. My cell phone plan also has very limited data. Would I be able to manage the data usage adequately on a phone that has not been rooted?

TheCometRider

Reaction score
You probably don't need to worry too much about the difference in the learning curve. The two phones will both look exactly the. Same (software wise) to you. The only difference is that with the rooted phone you would be able to tweak more things in the future. However, that also means that you could screw it up.

I would personally be more worried about the intelligence of the person who rooted the droid that I was considering. Did he use the root privilege responsibly? Specifically, with the droid 2, did he overclock the heck out of it and do physical damage to the processor?

Almost any software problem can be fixed by a sbf (I stress the "almost" here). I am of the opinion that you should not have root privileges unless you know how to use them. If you were to purchase the unrooted phone and decide that you wanted to root it, you would be able to read a guide here on droid forums and root you phone all within an hour. That would also give you the background knowledge that you need to understand what the rooting is really all about.

In conclusion, because of the possibility that the owner of the rooted phone may have caused internal, phisical damage (I say the just because he had the ability through the root) and because you could root the other phone with ease, I would recommend that you purchase the unrooted phone. Once you know how to use it the way it is and want to branch out a little, then read o guide on rooting and root it yourself. You will find that the root access is much more useful to you that way :)

Sent from my XT862 using DroidForums

OP
R

rodmar

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you so much for your quick reply and your insight. I have felt vaguely uneasy about a rooted phone, and your explanation helped me understand the issues involved.

Thanks,
Marcia

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You probably don't need to worry too much about the difference in the learning curve. The two phones will both look exactly the. Same (software wise) to you. The only difference is that with the rooted phone you would be able to tweak more things in the future. However, that also means that you could screw it up.

I would personally be more worried about the intelligence of the person who rooted the droid that I was considering. Did he use the root privilege responsibly? Specifically, with the droid 2, did he overclock the heck out of it and do physical damage to the processor?

Almost any software problem can be fixed by a sbf (I stress the "almost" here). I am of the opinion that you should not have root privileges unless you know how to use them. If you were to purchase the unrooted phone and decide that you wanted to root it, you would be able to read a guide here on droid forums and root you phone all within an hour. That would also give you the background knowledge that you need to understand what the rooting is really all about.

In conclusion, because of the possibility that the owner of the rooted phone may have caused internal, phisical damage (I say the just because he had the ability through the root) and because you could root the other phone with ease, I would recommend that you purchase the unrooted phone. Once you know how to use it the way it is and want to branch out a little, then read o guide on rooting and root it yourself. You will find that the root access is much more useful to you that way :)

Sent from my XT862 using DroidForums

Well said and agreed!

Sent from my Untouchable TB using some form of Xparent Tapatalk ;)