help installing fission

rockshox

Reaction score
There's your problem. That file is definitely not correct. Go ahead and delete that and try re-downloading it. Check the file size when it's done because it should definitely be much larger than that.

OP
D

droid2lb

Reaction score
Ive tried downloading it several times and they are all only 1kb. I must've done something wrong along the way?

rockshox

Reaction score
Sounds like it. Looks like the Team Defuse (Fission) website is down again right now. I was going to try downloading it from there and see if it was working but am not able to get the pages to load. Maybe try downloading it again later.

rockshox

Reaction score
Of course now the page loads. There website has issues. The "Lite" version download works just fine. Try downloading the Lite version and see what happens.

*Edit* Looks like Angdroid just tweeted that the site was back up a couple seconds ago. Must have been doing some maintenance on it. Good to see he's alive and tweeting also.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
It sounds like you downloaded the link to download FRM, but not FRM itself. I thought this was the case after a few posts but wanted to make sure first...

sid_wisc

Reaction score
The instructions below are fro, Fission website (http://www.teamdefuse.com/)

Pre-Installation Tasks:

You must have root. You can download our 1 Click root HERE.
You must have Koush’s Bootstrap program for your device. Download from Market or check HERE.

Installation Process

1. Open Droid 2
  2. Tap "Bootstrap Recovery"
  3. Tap “Allow” if asked to grant SU Persmission
  4. Tap “OK’ on “Success” screen
  5. Exit Droid 2 Bootstrapper
  6. Download Fission ROM Manager and place it on your SD Card
  7. Install the program by selecting it using Files or Astro File Manager application
  8. After installing the app, open it.
  9. Enable WiFi on your phone (helps in fast download of the ROM or other things).
  10. After the program opens, choose List Downloads in the bottom left corner.
  11. After the list is loaded, select the latest version of Fission by tapping it on the list.
  12. It will prompt if you want to download. Select yes.
  13. After it completes, the version you downloaded will have a check near it. Tap the selection again and it will prompt if you would like to add it to the install queue. Select yes.
  14. Now to install the new version, the install queue at the bottom of the screen is now enabled. Tap that. A new screen will show.
  15. Create a back-up by checking the option at the top of the screen.
  16. Tap the pull down (which says don’t wipe), it will will expland, choose wipe cache+data.
  17. Now, choose install at the bottom left corner. Your phone will reboot and begin the install process.
  18. After the install process is complete, the phone will reboot again.
You should be done now.... Keep playing with the Fission ROM manager cause it has some kool things in there like few themes and different (several) boot animations and some extra features...

rockshox

Reaction score
You need to download it from a computer. I was just playing with it on my phone, and if you download it from the phone, the popup window is messing with it somehow and I only get the html file also. Probably some sort of script to stop the direct linking to the download.

OP
D

droid2lb

Reaction score
You need to download it from a computer. I was just playing with it on my phone, and if you download it from the phone, the popup window is messing with it somehow and I only get the html file also. Probably some sort of script to stop the direct linking to the download.

Thank you so much ill try this when I get home tonight

OP
D

droid2lb

Reaction score
i have fission rom manager downloaded on my computer and its 60 kb, how do i transfer it over to my phone?

rockshox

Reaction score
Plug in the USB cable that should have come in the box. Then go to My Computer. The phone will mount as a drive, just like a thumb/flash drive does. You then use the standard copy/paste to copy the file to the flash drive.

OP
D

droid2lb

Reaction score
I got fission up and running on my droid but alot of my apps and almost all my contacts were lost. Also, what things can I do differently now that I have fission?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Flashing a rom does that- deletes any locally (internal memory) stored applications and contacts. if your phone was syncing properly, your apps should be remembered and auto-downloaded by the market. Your contacts though, are a different story.

What you can do for contacts, well there are a few options.

You can go to your contacts, go to settings and export the list to your sd card, to be imported later (say if you flash anotherr rom, go back to stock, or when/if you decide to go to gingerbread)

You can log on to your gmail account, preferably on your computer, and edit your gmail account to include your contacts. This way, when you sign in to gmail after first flashing the ROM, they will all be auto-added.

Or, and Im not experienced with this, log in to your verizon account sync online and back them up manually BEFORE flashing, and then sync them afterwords.

Either way you will need to add all those contacts manually at this point, unless I am mistaken. I flash between stock, fission, and d2 roms constantly and I always have to ask people for their numbers over and over again since I dont do those methods. Exporting to the sd card can be shoddy at times, just so you know. I would recommend editing your gmail contacts AND doing the account sync thru a PC just to be sure

OP
D

droid2lb

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. In terms of just customizing and appearance what can I do now with fission that I couldn't do with launcher pro?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Fission still uses the stock home app. If you were using LP, you may have to set it up again unless it has a backup/restore feature like adw ex