Help from Hacked Section

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Charles told me to post here if I was still confused. At the moment, I have Cyanogen 5.0.5.7 installed, but somehow it removed root. I'd like to keep using Cyanogen but fix the root. Here are the instructions:

You still there. What happened was it broke your root probably. Seen it happen to many people. How much do you know about the rooting process. I will give you what to do. If you need more help post in RS section and we will walk you step by step.

1) install UD 9.0 Ultimate Droid 9.0.0 Update.zip (Updated - can be used with both SPRecovery AND ROM Manager)

2) rename it update.zip (just name it update for windows 7 users)

3) mount your droid

4) put it on the root of your sd card (that mean it do not go in to any folders

5) reboot into recovery (clockwork should look like this
main.png

6) click apply sdcard update.zip
7) wipe data
8) wipe cahce
9) reboot

Reading through this I have a couple of questions.
1) First thing I would have to do would be a nandroid restore, right? To get back to 2.0.1 with root? Because right now I can't use ROM Manager because it doesn't consider me having root even though the ROM is installed.

2) Doing this method I'll have UD, correct? Is there any way I could do it and have Cyanogen?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I could be wrong, but the only way to nandroid back to having root access is to nandroid to a backup you made when you still had it...

Have you tried the process of rooting again? How did you initially root? Manually or through sholes/droid mod?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
I have a nandroid backup where I'm rooted. The first time I rooted, it was through DroidMod. Then I heard you had to uninstall DM to go to a 2.1 ROM, so I uninstalled it and did a root method from the people that do a ROM Manager tutorial on Youtube (boot into recovery, install their update.zip).

After that, I installed Cyanogen through ROM Manager, and lost root. I didn't think that you could root 2.1? Maybe that doesn't apply to custom ROMs?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok...Chris is coming in to help us out too. I was stabbing in the dark with the nandroid idea, but he reminded me that nandroid require root access as well. That's why DMupdater roots the phone first, THEN flashes recovery...At least, we're pretty sure that's the case...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My understanding of this whole "lost root" thing is this:

Even though you may have a good nandroid recovery file that has a rom, with your settings, and with root access, you can't install it. You need to be rooted to do so.

I'm guessing Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator, Metamorph, or SetCPU indicated you no longer have root access?

We've tried to get people to apply root again using dmupdater, first set of steps in link 1 of my signature, etc and we haven't had much luck.

We still don't know what makes root go away. The superuser app is there, but no root access.

Link 3 in my sig works. It puts you back at a stock 2.01 phone. Then you can root again using dmupdater or the first link in my signature. Then you can use sprecovery to restore your good nandroid recovery file. Or skip the recovery file and apply the Cyanogen rom file that you wanted.

Let us know how you make out and what you decide to do.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok...Chris is coming in to help us out too. I was stabbing in the dark with the nandroid idea, but he reminded me that nandroid require root access as well. That's why DMupdater roots the phone first, THEN flashes recovery...At least, we're pretty sure that's the case...

Correct.
1) root (manual steps or with dmupdater)
2) replace bootloader with clockwork or sprecovery
3) back up your current stock rom with all your apps and settings, which btw is now rooted
4) apply the rom of your choice and go from there

if on a 2.1 stock phone you need to insert as a first step the 3rd link in my signature.

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score

Even though you may have a good nandroid recovery file that has a rom, with your settings, and with root access, you can't install it. You need to be rooted to do so.

Last time I tried to install Cyanogen and realized root was gone, I was told to reflash the ROM. I booted into recovery and ClockworkMod let me go back to where I was before I used RM.

I'm guessing Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator, Metamorph, or SetCPU indicated you no longer have root access?

Correct.

We've tried to get people to apply root again using dmupdater, first set of steps in link 1 of my signature, etc and we haven't had much luck.

We still don't know what makes root go away. The superuser app is there, but no root access.

The superuser app actually isn't there. No ninja in my apps list.

Link 3 in my sig works. It puts you back at a stock 2.01 phone. Then you can root again using dmupdater or the first link in my signature. Then you can use sprecovery to restore your good nandroid recovery file. Or skip the recovery file and apply the Cyanogen rom file that you wanted.

Let us know how you make out and what you decide to do.

I tried that, actually. This is my second time installing Cyanogen, and both times root was removed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, if you can get into recovery and install a nandroid, you might as well give that a go and see if it brings root back...Or, if droidmod is still 2.0.1 based (Not sure, I think they released something new), you could try flashing IT so that you're 2.0.1, and then use dmupdater to try to re-root.

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Yup. The first time that I installed Cyanogen, I used recovery to go back into standard 2.0.1 root. No ROMs. I was rooted after the recovery. Then I tried Cyanogen again, and the same problem happened.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Last time I tried to install Cyanogen and realized root was gone, I was told to reflash the ROM. I booted into recovery and ClockworkMod let me go back to where I was before I used RM.

You want to try that first then? What rom did you have prior to this? I'm guessing it isn't cyanogen.

You could try to apply it without RM, no? Something is removing root from you and others from time to time and it appears to occur while folks are using RM, clockwork, Cyanogen and not other times (correct me if I am wrong folks!). I don't know what is making it happen though. Do you wipe cache and data?

Whichever path you want to take, we'll follow along.

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Prior to this I was using DM. I'll go ahead and go back to the backup I made after I make a plan of attack.

I could try to apply it without using RM, but I'm pretty uneducated on the whole issue, which is why RM was such an appealing application. When installing through RM, it asked if I wanted to backup and/or wipe, and I chose just to backup. Could that be the problem?

(oh and by the way, thanks a lot for your help. Haven't said that yet.)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Prior to this I was using DM. I'll go ahead and go back to the backup I made after I make a plan of attack.

I could try to apply it without using RM, but I'm pretty uneducated on the whole issue, which is why RM was such an appealing application. When installing through RM, it asked if I wanted to backup and/or wipe, and I chose just to backup. Could that be the problem?

(oh and by the way, thanks a lot for your help. Haven't said that yet.)
Try wiping cache and data. I haven't swapped a lot of roms but the posts I've seen indicate that helps when switching between different roms moreso than sticking with the same rom and just using a newer version.

And you're welcome!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Although it's a pain sometimes, data/cache wipes do a GREAT job of cleaning things up, especially when changing so many system files at the same time. Inevitably, when you switch roms (and sometimes when you upgrade) things will get left behind that don't need to be there. Those things can cause some tiny issues you'd never notice just as easily as they can cause BIG problems...

Even the stock 2.1 update that came OTA has some issues that are fixed with a factory reset.

And, although we appreciate your gratitude, no thanks is necessary! This type of thing is exactly what we're here for!

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Alright... I'll do a restore to no-ROMed root, then try Cyanogen one last time through RM and do a data wipe. I'll report back with how it turns out.

OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
It worked! Running Cyanogen with the ninja there. Now it's time to get my phone back to the way it was before, because I was stupid and forgot to use Titanium like someone recommended in another thread. Thanks for your help!