Help: choosing first Verizon Android device asap

kparks

Reaction score
I unhooked my phone at 3pm yesterday at 97 percent and it was dead by 830 lol but that's with me on it non stop and its hard to judge by what ppl say medium usage to one person would be light usage for someone else... but the battery on the bolt is comparable to all other phones give or take a little in short they all get poor battery life.. I'm going to have to check this dinc 2 speaker out myself u sure it was not just the video? What will u be using your phone for and are u in or will visit a 4G area often? O and I'm all stock at the moment

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I unhooked my phone at 3pm yesterday at 97 percent and it was dead by 830 lol but that's with me on it non stop and its hard to judge by what ppl say medium usage to one person would be light usage for someone else... but the battery on the bolt is comparable to all other phones give or take a little in short they all get poor battery life.. I'm going to have to check this dinc 2 speaker out myself u sure it was not just the video? What will u be using your phone for and are u in or will visit a 4G area often? O and I'm all stock at the moment

5 hours and dead? LOL good grief u are a heavy user. how's ur eyes? Lol jk. I juggle between my Global and my Xoom so my battery is def lasting.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

kparks

Reaction score

5 hours and dead? LOL good grief u are a heavy user. how's ur eyes? Lol jk. I juggle between my Global and my Xoom so my battery is def lasting.

Yea that was just that day but usually I only get like 7 hours most pf the time :)

smokeelaa

Reaction score
smokeelaa- What difference do you think Thundersense is making? As I've not even owned a droid yet, I'm not sure that rooting and running a different rom would be right for me. I'm open to the idea, if I see enough upside to offset the potential risks and warranty voiding. (if I understand correctly)

I would say that you may want to use the phone stock first then decide based on your experience and what you see in the forums as to whether issues, if any, you have with the phone are resolved by and worth running a custom ROM.

When I first got the OG Droid, my battery life was horrible and I had a need to tether. That is what led me to root it and then run custom ROMS. My main reasons for rooting and running LTS on the TB were to remove system apps I didn't want (Blockbuster,V-Cast, etc.) and overclocking the phone. I also like the LTS theme a bit more than stock.

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
Like any new device, battery is a bare minimum. U have to use ur phone at heavy usage to kick in the full potential. So the first week it was barely 8 hours. I drained it till near 15% before charging, made some modifications and used an app juice defender. Some has diff opinions on it but I customized it to my needs. This was all before root. Keep in mind ROOT does not fix every issue a device may have but it can have useful tools to make ur device smoother. After rooting I kept my JD and still use it today, I also use an overclock app to help it further. I can again customize it to my needs as to what my phone is capable of handling. U can also underclock with ultra low volt to save battery tremendously. What used to be approx 8 hours now gets me anywhere between 18-24 hours. Depending on my phone usage. I don't use any ext battery, for me its not necessary.
Just keep in mind any phone u get, there will be battery issues but u can work around it.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA

So, that first day had the worst battery life, eh? Is it true that draining the battery completely the first few times can extend battery life? It sounds like that, along with some app adjustments you made did the trick.

I don't know what a JD is. Is "ultra low volt" an app?

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
smokeelaa- What difference do you think Thundersense is making? As I've not even owned a droid yet, I'm not sure that rooting and running a different rom would be right for me. I'm open to the idea, if I see enough upside to offset the potential risks and warranty voiding. (if I understand correctly)

I would say that you may want to use the phone stock first then decide based on your experience and what you see in the forums as to whether issues, if any, you have with the phone are resolved by and worth running a custom ROM.

When I first got the OG Droid, my battery life was horrible and I had a need to tether. That is what led me to root it and then run custom ROMS. My main reasons for rooting and running LTS on the TB were to remove system apps I didn't want (Blockbuster,V-Cast, etc.) and overclocking the phone. I also like the LTS theme a bit more than stock.

Thanks; that's good input about using stock first before needing to decide whether to root. I don't like bloatwear, but don't know how much it will bug me (though I definitely don't want "Blockbuster" on my screen; that would piss me off as I'm not a huge fan after working for them back in my college days). :p

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Like any new device, battery is a bare minimum. U have to use ur phone at heavy usage to kick in the full potential. So the first week it was barely 8 hours. I drained it till near 15% before charging, made some modifications and used an app juice defender. Some has diff opinions on it but I customized it to my needs. This was all before root. Keep in mind ROOT does not fix every issue a device may have but it can have useful tools to make ur device smoother. After rooting I kept my JD and still use it today, I also use an overclock app to help it further. I can again customize it to my needs as to what my phone is capable of handling. U can also underclock with ultra low volt to save battery tremendously. What used to be approx 8 hours now gets me anywhere between 18-24 hours. Depending on my phone usage. I don't use any ext battery, for me its not necessary.
Just keep in mind any phone u get, there will be battery issues but u can work around it.

So, that first day had the worst battery life, eh? Is it true that draining the battery completely the first few times can extend battery life? It sounds like that, along with some app adjustments you made did the trick.

I can't say its true for all phones. sometimes it does have a mind of its own. Lol. its like a baseball glove when u first buy it. its stiff and needs conditioning. so in a way it should be used to its full potential to get it where it should be. as for JD its an app called Juice Defender. u don't need to be rooted to run JD. again ppl opinion may differ. as for ultra low voltage, its not an app. the app is called DroidOverclock by JRummy16. u overclock to make ur device faster than intended. underclock is the opposite. and using its scaling frequencies such as low voltage, medium voltage, etc helps ur battery to not use so much power because ur using it at a low frequency. there's more to it. if this makes sense at all....

kparks

Reaction score

U will hear a lot of stuff if u stick around.. I did drain mine but I don't think it makes a difference the batteries don't have a memory like the older ones but its not a big deal to do so I do it when I get a new phone.. and I would stay away from bump charging if I were u... Have u got a phone yet? And for the block buster app don't use it don't even click on it and any Verizon app that's pre loaded for that matter lol u won't even know its there and there are a lot of battery saving tips that u can do with out rooting...

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
Thanks. Appreciating all the replies.

I think my decision may be coming down DX vs Thunderbolt. Not sure about Revolution...

DX seems to have equally good screen (I presume) and better battery life, while the Thunderbolt has more speed (there's some 4g here, and more by year end) and an FFC.

Think I'm missing any major pros/cons?

kparks

Reaction score
Thanks. Appreciating all the replies.

I think my decision may be coming down DX vs Thunderbolt. Not sure about Revolution...

DX seems to have equally good screen (I presume) and better battery life, while the Thunderbolt has more speed (there's some 4g here, and more by year end) and an FFC.

Think I'm missing any major pros/cons?

Con=MOTO BLUR Haha....... Go with the bolt

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
kparks- How's your thunderbolt's battery life? What level of use does it get and have you done any rooting or other mods?

Hawaiian Princess- You say you had battery problems at first but not now? What changed?

...so, if you three love your Thunderbolts so much, why do you think the guys at the Verizon store were so quick to tell me to forget about it due to battery (and other issues)?

Thanks!
Super-newbie

Yes root does void your warranty but with recovery files out there and UNROOTING methods you can basically get away with it. if you ever run into problems with ur phone just restore it using the correct method to remove root

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums