Help: choosing first Verizon Android device asap

rawr33

Reaction score
Retiring my Dinosaur...
I am ready to upgrade from my broken dumb phone (LONG overdue, I know...) to a smart phone and am tied to Verizon. Thus, am trying to choose from the best available options within the next few weeks and I need help.

X2 sounds interesting, don't know enough about the new LG, and I'm not a gamer so Experian sounds silly to me. Incredible 2's speakerphone wasn't powerful enough in my in-store test. Charge was too clunky and the screen's colors are too cartoonish (distorted still-life image's color).

So... if you were desperate to upgrade from a dinosaur to your first Android on Verizon within the next few weeks, what would you choose?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. great to have u. if u like touch screen then I say try out the new X2. if u have small fingers and like keyboard and touch screen, try the Droid 2. in fact the Fascinate is still a solid device. u may wanna check that out instead. its all about fitting you and not the other way around right...lol...good luck

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
I thought about the D2G's physical keyboard, but think I'd prefer to trade it for the larger screen of the X or X2.

It seems to me that the X and X2 are better choices than the Fascinate. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input... keep it coming!! :)

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
the X is a great device, lots to do with it. the X2 maybe better because of the upgrade they made to it. IMO it really depends how ur gonna use ur device. what customization u intend to do whether ur into rooting and changing ROMs. wait for the X2 and see how u like it. im curious

smokeelaa

Reaction score
I just upgraded from my OG Droid to a Thunderbolt and have no complaints.

Big and bright screen, 4G. Plus comparing it to my wife's Droid 2 Global, Sense definitely seems to have a leg up on Motoblur if you are gonna keep the phone stock.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
I've not yet researched enough to really understand when and why I'd want to root or change ROMs. I'm not really sure what those are yet... but I may want to make use of those. I don't know enough to say for sure yet. :p

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
I just upgraded from my OG Droid to a Thunderbolt and have no complaints.

Big and bright screen, 4G. Plus comparing it to my wife's Droid 2 Global, Sense definitely seems to have a leg up on Motoblur if you are gonna keep the phone stock.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

How's the battery life on the Thunderbird?

I'm not yet familiar with the differences between Sense and Motoblur; I understand them to be the manufacturers' modifications of the Android OS.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
as of right now lots of issues but IMO battery issues are on all devices. but there are ways to help resolve them

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 global, x and fascinate in the house. I love my global. Its fast has s keyboard and sturdy. My wife has the droid x. It is nice but all touch screen does not fit me. The facinate is nice almost comparable to the x but plastic. Feels cheap.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

kparks

Reaction score
lots of great info in this thread and welcome! i have a thunderbolt and its awesome if ur in 4G i would go with that if ur not.. def get the DINC 2 that phone is sweet!! also i would avoid samsung phones.. moto make's good devices i would not mind buying one, but HTC is #1 in my book.. and when it comes to phone support and update's and they are important its HTC and MOTO leading the pack... hope i could help u should go and play around with them in the store but my money is on the DINC 2

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 global, x and fascinate in the house. I love my global. Its fast has s keyboard and sturdy. My wife has the droid x. It is nice but all touch screen does not fit me. The facinate is nice almost comparable to the x but plastic. Feels cheap.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

love the global as well. never had any issues other than battery in the beginning.

smokeelaa

Reaction score
I have been running Liquid Thundersense 1.45 since the day I got it and have been getting around 12-14 hours of battery on moderate to heavy use with the phone overclocked to 1.4 Ghz. I can't speak on the stock battery life since I rooted and installed Liquid the same day I got it.

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
lots of great info in this thread and welcome! i have a thunderbolt and its awesome if ur in 4G i would go with that if ur not.. def get the DINC 2 that phone is sweet!!

I've played with phones in the store; unfortunately the speakerphone on the Incredible 2 is insufficient for my needs. (Speaker/call quality was markedly inferior to the X, Charge, and iPhone).

OP
R

rawr33

Reaction score
kparks- How's your thunderbolt's battery life? What level of use does it get and have you done any rooting or other mods?

Hawaiian Princess- You say you had battery problems at first but not now? What changed?

smokeelaa- What difference do you think Thundersense is making? As I've not even owned a droid yet, I'm not sure that rooting and running a different rom would be right for me. I'm open to the idea, if I see enough upside to offset the potential risks and warranty voiding. (if I understand correctly)

...so, if you three love your Thunderbolts so much, why do you think the guys at the Verizon store were so quick to tell me to forget about it due to battery (and other issues)?

Thanks!
Super-newbie

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Like any new device, battery is a bare minimum. U have to use ur phone at heavy usage to kick in the full potential. So the first week it was barely 8 hours. I drained it till near 15% before charging, made some modifications and used an app juice defender. Some has diff opinions on it but I customized it to my needs. This was all before root. Keep in mind ROOT does not fix every issue a device may have but it can have useful tools to make ur device smoother. After rooting I kept my JD and still use it today, I also use an overclock app to help it further. I can again customize it to my needs as to what my phone is capable of handling. U can also underclock with ultra low volt to save battery tremendously. What used to be approx 8 hours now gets me anywhere between 18-24 hours. Depending on my phone usage. I don't use any ext battery, for me its not necessary.
Just keep in mind any phone u get, there will be battery issues but u can work around it.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA