Help! 4th replacement going on #5!!

xan

Reaction score
when i finally get the time to swap for number 6 im taking the box into VRZ and having them boot it and check it out first, thats for sure.

i think moto mostly makes good stuff, i also think the certified program is nothing more than shoving out returned phones without really checking them well first. it sure seems to me like the lemons just keep making the rounds and never get taken out of warranty rotation.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I am pretty sure if you select ANY phone and lurk on their forums, you'll find plenty of people saying the same things about those phones no matter what. I have not yet been able to figure out if all the postings are true or just perpetrated by competitors trying to make the competition look bad. It's true of phones, cameras, TVs, computer motherboards, etc. So I always take some comments with a grain of salt.

That being said, I too believe it's unlikely that one person would get 4 or 5 phones in a row that are all equally bad. Motorola was one of the first companies to go what's called Six Sigma which is a level of quality that is exceptionally difficult to achieve. Their products are very good no matter how you slice it. So for you to have so many phones that are total crap is definitely odd. There's got to be something you are loading that's causing the issues or you yourself are magnetic and are affecting the phone!

I suggest taking your current phone to a local Verizon store and show them what's going on. Even though store people are traditionally lame, you might actually get a good one who can help. It's worth a shot.

Definitely do a factory restore on the phone and don't load anything on it for a few days. Just use it stock and see how it works. If it has the same trouble, well, send it back. If it doesn't, load up one app at a time and use it for a day and see how it works. Continue on and see where the problems start to occur and then DON'T USE THAT LAST APP YOU LOADED.

Good luck.

Except for the fact that these are certified, and guaranteed to work exactly as advertised. So when every one else can run an app fine, and this one phone cannot, it's not the apps fault, it is a faulty phone, therefore qualifying for another phone to be sent out.

People don't buy phones to work around the issues of a phone, thats not how they are marketed or sold. We buy phones and expect them to work as they say they are going to work, and when they don't, you deserve a replacement.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE DARN PHONES!!!!

I had an incredible for about 8 months, then it started to not pick up cell service, and wi fi networks. so I ordered a "certified" POS. That one kept rebooting and rebooting and never even got to the main menu. then I ordered ANOTHER one, and that had a blown speaker, and hardly any of the programs actually functioned, then I said, ok, look, Give me an X, because It might just be the type of phone with all the problems. So, I get my X yesterday, and all it does it suprise itself with random reboots that get even more frequent as time progresses. It ate through an extended battery in 2 hours. Now, I have yet ANOTHER phone coming again on monday, another X...I'm just so tired of these stupid things.

Any idea on why the X is doing this? I already cleared the cache and factory resetted it.

However they are shipping you the phone's seem to be the problem. Maybe something like a pcb board bending, or scanning device corrupting the OS.
Have you tried going to the store to get it?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Reboots are a known problem on dx/d2's while stock. It seems to be something with MotoBlur not liking something else thats stock because with an aosp rom they dont have many (if any) random reboots.....

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Reboots are a known problem on dx/d2's while stock. It seems to be something with MotoBlur not liking something else thats stock because with an aosp rom they dont have many (if any) random reboots.....

You know, I'd say this post is only so much Greek to me except I know a little Greek. But I guess I can say that of all my phones from a Moto V60 to this current D2G I've never had one mindlessly reboot on me. I always that I was unlucky. I guess not.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

You know, I'd say this post is only so much Greek to me except I know a little Greek. But I guess I can say that of all my phones from a Moto V60 to this current D2G I've never had one mindlessly reboot on me. I always that I was unlucky. I guess not.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Lol. I havent had any problems after getting away from stock. I had several issues (like random reboots) before though.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Except for the fact that these are certified, and guaranteed to work exactly as advertised. So when every one else can run an app fine, and this one phone cannot, it's not the apps fault, it is a faulty phone, therefore qualifying for another phone to be sent out.
It's apparently not just one phone though. It's 5. I seriously doubt anyone would see 5 totally stock phones of any make/model do exactly the same things for one user and not everyone else. Sure we've seen random reboots, force closing, Wi-Fi, issues which are evident on probably 90% of Droid X phones. The OP however seems to have a much larger issues on 5 phones so far which just makes no statistical sense to me given Motorola's general quality.

I just don't see 5 phones that are purported to be certified refurbished phones all being crap if the user is not inadvertently doing something wrong. Thus my suggestion to keep it stock and work with it that way to see if he/she can test it at each step to see where the problem first occurs.

Sure, I don't doubt there may be a bad run of chips here and there or there are some runs that were made on a particularly bad Friday but for one random user to get all 5 of them from that bad run, that's extremely unlikely.

People don't buy phones to work around the issues of a phone, thats not how they are marketed or sold. We buy phones and expect them to work as they say they are going to work, and when they don't, you deserve a replacement.
My 75 year old parents maybe but, in today's technology age, one can surely peruse the forums of any item out there and discover post after post on how that printer is garbage, that flashlight needs to be held a certain way for it to work right, or this or that phone needing to be lovingly coaxed into working right.

Unfortunately, the days of buying an item and expecting flawless operation are over and every purchase is a crap shoot. You can believe it all you want but the reality is likely something more grim and less satisfying than you or I would like. No purchase is flawless and, given the rapid advances in and relatively early state of the technology of smart phones, we are only in the infancy here and we are all early adopters whether you see it or not. I'd LIKE to expect things to work as you suggest but I've seen more failures than successes in the last 5-10 years.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
It's apparently not just one phone though. It's 5. I seriously doubt anyone would see 5 totally stock phones of any make/model do exactly the same things for one user and not everyone else. Sure we've seen random reboots, force closing, Wi-Fi, issues which are evident on probably 90% of Droid X phones. The OP however seems to have a much larger issues on 5 phones so far which just makes no statistical sense to me given Motorola's general quality.

I just don't see 5 phones that are purported to be certified refurbished phones all being crap if the user is not inadvertently doing something wrong. Thus my suggestion to keep it stock and work with it that way to see if he/she can test it at each step to see where the problem first occurs.

Sure, I don't doubt there may be a bad run of chips here and there or there are some runs that were made on a particularly bad Friday but for one random user to get all 5 of them from that bad run, that's extremely unlikely.

My 75 year old parents maybe but, in today's technology age, one can surely peruse the forums of any item out there and discover post after post on how that printer is garbage, that flashlight needs to be held a certain way for it to work right, or this or that phone needing to be lovingly coaxed into working right.

Unfortunately, the days of buying an item and expecting flawless operation are over and every purchase is a crap shoot. You can believe it all you want but the reality is likely something more grim and less satisfying than you or I would like. No purchase is flawless and, given the rapid advances in and relatively early state of the technology of smart phones, we are only in the infancy here and we are all early adopters whether you see it or not. I'd LIKE to expect things to work as you suggest but I've seen more failures than successes in the last 5-10 years.

I completely agree with you that product quality has gone to the wayside now, but my point still remains. They tell you it works fine, so when they send you one that does not, you deserve a replacement. So if he is having random reboots, or some wifi or cellular problems, which might not be enough of a problem for some, he deserves a replacement or a refund.

My phone would reboot randomly maybe once every couple days, but it never bothered me. But if it bothers him, he should get one.

Thats all I was trying to say, not that everything is going to work perfect every time, just that if they say (A) and you get (B), you get the option to replace or refund. (Or at least it should be that way)

charklos

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how the people who haven't had the misfortune of crappy replacement phones are so quick to blame the user, or insinuate that there is just NO WAY he could have had 5 bad phones in a row. Well I'm here to tell you I too had a similar problem. I had an Incredible about 11 months before the micro usb port stopped recognizing connections, so I sent out for a certified replacement which turned out to be crap. The screen was responsive SOME TIMES and I was amazed that I got such a "lemon" because I loved my Dinc. So I sent out for another one which ended up having the reboot loop issue right out of the box. I couldn't even reach the activation screen. I was irritated, so they switched me to a DROID X. First droid x I get is possessed. Screen jumped around like it was on crack, I couldn't accurately touch anything on the screen b/c it was always moving around or typing things on it's own. FINALLY they overnight me ANOTHER droid x and so far so good. It's been about 2 weeks and I love my phone, but what a joke that certified replacement program is. So it IS entirely possible to get 5 crap replacements in a row, with no fault on the user. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
C

camaroguy93

Reaction score
I think I'm more likely to win the lottery tonight without even having purchased a ticket than you are to have 5 bad phones in less than a year, and it being the fault of every one of those phones.

Technically not outside the realm of possibility, but the odds...damn. Lol.

Yea, Excuse me, but it is NOT my fault with these phones. the reason they have been sent every day is becaus they have overnight shipping, and the problems are SO OBVIOUS that I call them up after 10 minutes of using it. I tell them, I send it back. Today I was supposed to get accessories for the droid X that I have now that is toast and needs to get sent back...but UH OH!!! the sent me DROID PRO accessories. **** verizon!!! RAAAA!!

If you are such a strong disbeliever, would you like me to post a picture of 3 droid incredibles side by side, then tomorrow 2 droid X's side by side when I get it in the mail? that might make you a little bit happier.

OP
C

camaroguy93

Reaction score
I think most of the issues concerning random reboots and such are more then likely an app that's causing an issue and can be fixed if you took a few seconds to do a Factory Data Reset before sending it back. Get rid of task killers before doing that and you may have a good working phone.

Every time somebody starts one of these threads it's an opportunity for everyone who's had an issue to say me too.

no. I did a factory reset and cleared its cache...so everything was stock.

OP
C

camaroguy93

Reaction score
However they are shipping you the phone's seem to be the problem. Maybe something like a pcb board bending, or scanning device corrupting the OS.
Have you tried going to the store to get it?[/QUOTE]

They cannot ship it to the store, I asked the Rep. that. Only to a residence.

OP
C

camaroguy93

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how the people who haven't had the misfortune of crappy replacement phones are so quick to blame the user, or insinuate that there is just NO WAY he could have had 5 bad phones in a row. Well I'm here to tell you I too had a similar problem. I had an Incredible about 11 months before the micro usb port stopped recognizing connections, so I sent out for a certified replacement which turned out to be crap. The screen was responsive SOME TIMES and I was amazed that I got such a "lemon" because I loved my Dinc. So I sent out for another one which ended up having the reboot loop issue right out of the box. I couldn't even reach the activation screen. I was irritated, so they switched me to a DROID X. First droid x I get is possessed. Screen jumped around like it was on crack, I couldn't accurately touch anything on the screen b/c it was always moving around or typing things on it's own. FINALLY they overnight me ANOTHER droid x and so far so good. It's been about 2 weeks and I love my phone, but what a joke that certified replacement program is. So it IS entirely possible to get 5 crap replacements in a row, with no fault on the user. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROIDX
Thank you Charklos

OP
C

camaroguy93

Reaction score

So...doing something wrong is turning on the power button, and dialing *228 to program it....then try to call someone? or text? or just flat out use the dam thing? Yea, totally user error on that one. I told others that I will be posting 2 pictures of the 3 droid incredibles that I had all at once, and the two droid X's when it arrives at my door tomorrow morning.

OP
C

camaroguy93

Reaction score

IMG_1990.jpg

The 3 droids

220926_1969373118759_1375914996_2250321_187604_o.jpg

The Droid X

218865_1974241680470_1375914996_2257973_4450453_o.jpg

And what I wrote on all of their return boxes.