Helix Launcher locking up phone

Norm2000

Reaction score
I installed Helix launcher 1.2 (mostly from frustration with the news that 2.1 will not expand the number of screens). I was looking in the configuration settings for Helix and noticed that the screen resolution can be changed (setting defaults to 3; I tried 2, then 1). The 2 setting worked but I was a bit confused with a reduction in available number of screens. I tried the '1' setting. At that point, once the app reset, I get a force-close immediately when the app comes up. Unfortunately, when I initially brought up the application, I checked the box for Helix to default-load. So now, I can't do anything. When I click 'force close' on the error message, it immediately comes back up. I have tried removing the battery and thus rebooting, etc. but nothing works to allow me to close Helix. I'm just hoping someone has an idea. My (optimistic) hope is that I don't have to do a master hard reset and loose all my settings, apps and data, but I don't even know how to do that under the circumstances. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Can you do a long hold on your home button, and get into Settings or Market? If you could, you could then try uninstalling it, and then doing a Power Off and rebooting. Something like that worked for me when this program also froze, as I think it conflicted with Home++ which I also have and subsequently returned to.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ha..I just went through this about 5 minutes ago...except my fix was easier. I did not have the default box checked and had helix but wanted to try helix2. Even though it says it is for the nexus and is beta. I saw comments saying it ran on bugless beast so thought why not.

Anyways...nonstop FC's but I managed to click the home button between them and click the helix to get out of helix2's loops.

Be patient and try to get to settings and pick something else to be your default home. You can go to settings/apps/manage apps/helix2/clear defaults. Just keep trying buttons between fc's.

Let us know if this works.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you do a long hold on your home button, and get into Settings or Market? If you could, you could then try uninstalling it, and then doing a Power Off and rebooting. Something like that worked for me when this program also froze, as I think it conflicted with Home++ which I also have and subsequently returned to.

I thought of the uninstall...but thought it would be less clicks to fire up a different home launcher. scrolling through apps to get to helix might take a while. Back to the market might be easier if it lets you uninstall something that is trying to run. Good idea if it gets around that.

OP
N

Norm2000

Reaction score
Didn't work

I tried many times using the suggested methods to get around the FC and just couldn't get it to interrupt Helix. So I followed instructions I found on the web to master rest - turn on while holding the slide-out keyboard 'X'; then scroll down a menu that comes up to master reset.

Since I had checked the box to backup my settings to my Google account (I had forgotten I did that), it was easy to re-setup the phone. In about 15 minutes, I was set back up again. I was afraid the Helix would fire back up but it didn't. It showed installed, but was not coming up by default (thankfully). I uninstalled it. Guess I'm going to just live with the three screens - unless someone has a validated suggestion of an app that really works and provides more screens.

THANKS for the responses and suggestions. These forums are really valuable in collaborating and sharing.

funkdoctor

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me with the same result. I had a nandroid backup I loaded, but helix definitely has a few bugs. I also have issues where helix will freeze when the phone is locked and I get a text message...I have to slide out the keyboard for the lock screen to appear.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I tried many times using the suggested methods to get around the FC and just couldn't get it to interrupt Helix. So I followed instructions I found on the web to master rest - turn on while holding the slide-out keyboard 'X'; then scroll down a menu that comes up to master reset.

Since I had checked the box to backup my settings to my Google account (I had forgotten I did that), it was easy to re-setup the phone. In about 15 minutes, I was set back up again. I was afraid the Helix would fire back up but it didn't. It showed installed, but was not coming up by default (thankfully). I uninstalled it. Guess I'm going to just live with the three screens - unless someone has a validated suggestion of an app that really works and provides more screens.

THANKS for the responses and suggestions. These forums are really valuable in collaborating and sharing.

Glad this worked out for you. I'm going to reference the fix you have in this thread: The DroidForums Solutions Thread !http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-solutions/30276-droidforums-hacking-solutions-thread.html. I've got a rooted phone and I see two Helix Launchers in the market. HelixLauncher2 did the same thing to my phone. You could try the other if you do see both. It really is a great launcher. I've used home++ and it offers 3-7 screens for stock phones as well. There are other home app launchers available as an option for you as well.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
Just a quick question...you DID remove all apps and widgets from your original home screen before you tried to expand the Helix screen to 3 or 5 or whatever, right?

solorca

Reaction score
I'm stuck in this right now. I have tried HelixLauncher a few times and have had nothing but trouble. It looks like I'm going to have to do a complete reinstall...I've tried everything and can't manage to get it.

solorca

Reaction score
Whew! I finally managed to make it to Home Switcher (thank god I saved the application on one of my screens). I am officially done with trying to get HelixLauncher working. It's been nothing but trouble everytime I've tried to use it.

I'll be fine with my five screens, thank you very much.

Radchel

Reaction score
Wait! Wait! Wait!

Okay, I have had the exact same problems with my helix launcher (the force closes, the locking up my home screen). So, I have been reading all of this and do NOT want to have to reinstall my phone, instead, I did this:

My phone was still allowing me access to the outside buttons on my screen (volume control, power button, camera). So, what I first did was pressed and held my camera button (the stupid force close thing will pop up, but if you select the "force close" option, the camera should appear behind it). When I got to my camera, I tapped the search button on my phone (the magnifying glass that's always on the phone's bottom screen), then I typed in settings and my phone's setting's appeared, so I selected it, went to applications, then manage applications, and it shows a list of all your applications, you find helix, and uninstall!

I think I'm rather genius.

king kumo

Reaction score
had this problem a few mins ago and started freakin out coz my phone was practically useless with the looping force close. but i found a solution.

Boot into safe mode (Power + Menu button on keyboard until Droid eye vibrates). Go into settings>applications>manage apps and then uninstall it.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
If you followed the instruction to get rid of any apps other than the home apps you should be fine. In the 3 days of having the 2.1 ota, lwp, and helix 1 running I have only experienced one fc in landscape. Just out of curiousity why would you want less home screens?