Helix Launcher Bugs?

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
I searched a bit for this but didn't see anything. I switched from DxTop to Helix it seems much slower than Dx. When I go to home screen from apps, etc it takes a couple of seconds for the apps and widgets to appear. I have had a few force closes and other buggy behavior.

Has this been the case for others? Is it my phone? I still have DxTop, switched back and had no problem at all. I want Helix to work because of the extra screens.

uscjoel

Reaction score
i have been noticing the same kind of stuff as well...

droidoes

Reaction score
I searched a bit for this but didn't see anything. I switched from DxTop to Helix it seems much slower than Dx. When I go to home screen from apps, etc it takes a couple of seconds for the apps and widgets to appear. I have had a few force closes and other buggy behavior.

Has this been the case for others? Is it my phone? I still have DxTop, switched back and had no problem at all. I want Helix to work because of the extra screens.

Word for Word the exact same Problem i am having with my Droid. Along with wanting the extra screens I am unable to do font customizations. Helix is certainly slower than dxtop and when I switched back to dxtop its faster. Hoping to find another app on the market with 7 screens and works as good as the open / home theme.

J

Johnly

I can only compare helix with home++, but Helix has been flawless for me. If dxtop is blowing helix away as far as performance, maybe I should give that a go?

masterxchief

Reaction score
I think the performance issues of Helix can be attributed to the Android's memory management system. Since Helix is using a lot of memory and is an app, Android kills it when it needs more memory. This causes Helix to be reloaded most of the time when you press the home button. Try cleaning up your original home screens of icons and widgets to reduce the memory imprint of it.

If you are rooted then you can delete the original home launcher and just use Helix which boosts performance greatly.

serveitup911

Reaction score
I have these bugs also. I am rooted, so I did the following to try to improve performance:
1) completely removed all other launchers
2) using CyanogenMod, so in spare parts, I use the option to keep launcher in memory
3) Running a bare-bones setup (almost 200 MB of internal storage available)
4) Not using any task killers or autokillers
5) Overclocked up to 1 GHz
6) I also went from 7 screens down to 5 screens (no help)

I have timed my wait at up to 15 seconds to render my home screen after exiting a memory intensive app. There is always a delay of at least 5 seconds.

ShowTime

Reaction score

I've never had a force close with Helix, but occasionally I do get the bit of lag when returning to the homescreen that you described. Nothing else buggy about it as of yet though (in 3 weeks+ use). FYI I'm unrooted but did completely clear the stock Home from every widget/icon it had and only have about 15 total apps.