Handcent SMS

Droyd

Reaction score
Now that I have downloaded Handcent SMS for text messaging, how do I get rid of the default android texting app that came with the phone. I can't find where to get rid of it on there.

Thanks........

Last edited:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you are rooted you could just delete the Mms.apk file, however either way I hear this is a BAD idea. I have heard that some people have nasty issues after getting rid of the stock MMS app, maybe its ties into the system and killing it makes the droid unhappy.

Still, I use handcent and I dont care that the stock one is there, it doesn't do anything anyway having it there...

warrior21

Reaction score
Now that I have downloaded Handcent SMS for text messaging, how do I get rid of the default android texting app that came with the phone. I can't fing where to get rid of it on there.

Thanks........
Just go into the stock messaging app and disable the notifications.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Now that I have downloaded Handcent SMS for text messaging, how do I get rid of the default android texting app that came with the phone. I can't fing where to get rid of it on there.

Thanks........
Make certain you disable the notification in the notification bar as well.

eversonsc

Reaction score
I dont think you want to totally delete it. You can't send pics with Handcent because it has a size limit For that you'd have to use the regular messaging app.

skaman9876

Reaction score

Thanks........
Make certain you disable the notification in the notification bar as well.

How do you go about disabling the notification in the notification bar??? I was trying to figure it out trolling the forums and can't figure it out. Every text i get there is the stock mms notification and the handcent one. I thought i turned off all the notifications and then even removed the stock mms app hoping that would fix the issue. I was sorely mistaken.

dfitz

Reaction score
I would not suggest deleting even if you are rooted...I did with one of my previous roms and my messages would not stay saved. I'd receive a message and if I didn't read the notification it disappeared.

Last edited:

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think all the answers needed have been covered already.

If you think I was helpful, please donate.

:blink:
laughAt.gif

skaman9876

Reaction score
I think all the answers needed have been covered already.

If you think I was helpful, please donate.

:blink:
laughAt.gif

How about an answer for me???? I have been unable to find an answer anywhere.... I have disabled all the settings including the notification setting in the stock mms app and even tried deleting the stock mms app and played with all the settings on handcent, but i still get double notifications in the notification bar on ALL txt's received... Am I the only one?? I'm about to wipe and clear cache and re-install and pray. If anyone else experienced this or knows how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Disabling it in the stock app should do it.

Have you power cycled the Droid to see if it makes a difference at all?

c10d21l

Reaction score
How about an answer for me???? I have been unable to find an answer anywhere.... I have disabled all the settings including the notification setting in the stock mms app and even tried deleting the stock mms app and played with all the settings on handcent, but i still get double notifications in the notification bar on ALL txt's received... Am I the only one?? I'm about to wipe and clear cache and re-install and pray. If anyone else experienced this or knows how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

this same thing is happening to me

rosko

Reaction score

this same thing is happening to me

same here, disabled notifications, all that. still getting 2 notifications each time. along with that, hearing "DroiDroid" each time is getting a little annoying...

skaman9876

Reaction score
So I reached my boiling point and decided to find a solution since everything else i tried didn't work. I ended up backing everything up with titanium and a different program for calender and settings and all that good stuff. Went ahead and wiped/clear cache and re-flashed with BB 1.0Ghz Nextheme ROM. Issue has been resolved I no longer get dual notifications and I'm back to being a happy camper.

EbbieDeb

Reaction score
I love this App for text messages, however, when I have this app downloaded, I end up getting 'two" notifications each time I get a text. A little black envelope, and the Handcent SMS app icon in the notification bar.

I have looked ALL over and in all of the settings that I can think of to try and turn off the Android Text notification and just have the Handcent Notification notify me.

Anyone else have this problem with this app? I love it otherwise, its just annoying to have my phone go off twice for one message.

rkeller62

Reaction score
Open the stock messaging app, select menu, settings and disable notifications. This will turn off notifications from the stock messenging and you should only receive one now.