Had the Eris a few days...Now a few questions

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
First let me say I like this phone alot. Coming from a Samsung Impression "dumb" phone on the AT&T network with limited 3G, I am plenty happy with the speed of the phone. No worries about lagging here. Still learning the in's and out's of it. This is my first smart phone so there is alot to learn. The only thing that has me a little hesitant about keeping it is the keyboard. Or lack of one. I have never been good with touchscreen qwerty boards.

With that being said I do have a few questions. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

First I tried the phone with Sense disabled. I found that I could get around the phone alot easier. Is there any advantage to running Sense other than eye candy??? Am I missing anything with it disabled??

The browser. Is there an easy way to close it out completely w/o going into the application management and force closing it?? While I am on the browser how do you bring up the address bar to manually enter in a web address. The only way I found is to hit the menu button. Also refreshing. Any way other than long touching the screen.

Is there any way to get the spell correction and predictive text in other areas that require typing besides the compose text window.

How exactly do I find out what programs are running all the time. Haven't downloaded a task manager yet as I am still looking. Deleting programs and widgets??? How is that done???

Pop-up notifications for text and missed calls available???

Sleep mode. Guess I am a little confused on this. Is this were you press the call end button???

That should be it for now. I'm sure I will have more.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
First let me say I like this phone alot. Coming from a Samsung Impression "dumb" phone on the AT&T network with limited 3G, I am plenty happy with the speed of the phone. No worries about lagging here. Still learning the in's and out's of it. This is my first smart phone so there is alot to learn. The only thing that has me a little hesitant about keeping it is the keyboard. Or lack of one. I have never been good with touchscreen qwerty boards.

With that being said I do have a few questions. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

First I tried the phone with Sense disabled. I found that I could get around the phone alot easier. Is there any advantage to running Sense other than eye candy??? Am I missing anything with it disabled??

The browser. Is there an easy way to close it out completely w/o going into the application management and force closing it?? While I am on the browser how do you bring up the address bar to manually enter in a web address. The only way I found is to hit the menu button. Also refreshing. Any way other than long touching the screen.

Is there any way to get the spell correction and predictive text in other areas that require typing besides the compose text window.

How exactly do I find out what programs are running all the time. Haven't downloaded a task manager yet as I am still looking. Deleting programs and widgets??? How is that done???

Pop-up notifications for text and missed calls available???

Sleep mode. Guess I am a little confused on this. Is this were you press the call end button???

That should be it for now. I'm sure I will have more.

First, download and install Advanced Task Killer. MUST HAVE FOR ALL ANDROID PHONES!! (You can then use this to kill the browser without going into App Management.)

Deleting programs and widgets, I assume you me off the home screen and not a complete uninstall. Hold down the screen on the widget/shortcut you want to delete. When REMOVE comes up at bottom (where Phone usually is), drag it down there to delete.

Sleep mode is tapping the power button.

Don't know about not having Sense. Not sure about pop-ups for text and missed calls. The notifications are pretty cool though. On a home screen, press at the top and drag down to open the notification drop-down.

That is all I can help with. ENJOY!

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Deleting programs and widgets, I assume you me off the home screen and not a complete uninstall. Hold down the screen on the widget/shortcut you want to delete. When REMOVE comes up at bottom (where Phone usually is), drag it down there to delete.

Actually I did mean a complete unistall. I know how to get them off the home screen. Bu if I d/l something from the marketplace and don't want it anymore is it possible to delete it??

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Yea. But you do have to do that from app management.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure they will! :biggrin:) - I think if you go into Market and hit My Downloads, you can do an uninstall from there...

Very good. Thank you. I just went back into the marketplace and there is an uninstall option under each of my downloads.

While talking about the task killer is there anything that I should not kill?? When I just woke my Eris up there was a list of about 10 apps to kill.

Any input on my other questions???

lowtech

Reaction score
Yea. But you do have to do that from app management.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure they will! :biggrin:) - I think if you go into Market and hit My Downloads, you can do an uninstall from there...

Very good. Thank you. I just went back into the marketplace and there is an uninstall option under each of my downloads.

While talking about the task killer is there anything that I should not kill?? When I just woke my Eris up there was a list of about 10 apps to kill.

Any input on my other questions???

I just kill everything on that list and later open anything that I need. My battery life has improved since doing that... as well as just from use I believe.

That will take care of the browser by the way, which was one of your questions...

Little icons will pop up on the top of the screens that will indicate emails, etc.... to see what they are, hit Menu and then Notifications (or drag that bar down from the top of the screen - either one works).

Last edited:

Dallasguy7

Reaction score
As mentioned above this is a must have.
'Advanced Task Manager' in the Market has a nice little feature.
You have the ability to close one task at a time or.................
You can set it up so that when in ATM you just give the Eris a little shake and it closes all apps.
The app also includes a tab for one touch uninstall of other applications.

lowtech

Reaction score
As mentioned above this is a must have.
'Advanced Task Manager' in the Market has a nice little feature.
You have the ability to close one task at a time or.................
You can set it up so that when in ATM you just give the Eris a little shake and it closes all apps.
The app also includes a tab for one touch uninstall of other applications.

Now I have learned some good things! I love the idea of a little shake to close all apps... obviously I am not using this to full potential! :)

Oh wait... you said Task Manager... I use Advanced Task Killer... very good as well - but no shake. :dry:

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
You really don't need to kill apps as the Android OS allows apps to stay open without using any memory until needed.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
You really don't need to kill apps as the Android OS allows apps to stay open without using any memory until needed.

The problem is that some apps will wake up to do things and therefore use battery.