My droid eris keeps force closing!! Help!!

LoveSnoopy628

Reaction score
Any experts who can tell me how to fix my Eris.. I am so frustrated I could destroy this phone! One day my phone just stopped working. I turn it on and it will shoot the screens all the way to the left and get stuck there.. Someone suggested it was my trackball but I NEVER use it and it's not the only problem.. So the screen will be to the far left and even when I hit the home button it will not work. Then I get a" HTC force close" error.. Then say I want to send a text message.. same crap.. I will attempt to type the message and nothing will show up then after the phone freezes for a few minutes then it will also force close in the message program.. Then google force closes, my internet browser force closes ( dolphin browser) Facebook doesnt work 90% of the time and will force close, my pictures and video's that are on my phone wont open or they take forever to do so! I have tried deleting apps and I am constantly turning the phone off to get it to work and most of the time that doesnt even work. I almost forgot that DIALING the pone is rediculous too.. Half the time I cant even use the phone.. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Can you get to the settings to do a factory reset?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
L

LoveSnoopy628

Reaction score
Hi Brett,
I havent done a factory reset yet because someone told me that it would delete all my contacts.. Would they still be in my google account or would they be deleted from there too?

Reaction score
Yes everything will be deleted but as long as you have google account sync checked everything (contacts, apps, etc.) Will be restored upon re-entering your google account sign in. it will take a while for it to reinstall the applications so be patient.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before you factory reset, try to open one of your contacts and see if it is listed as a Google contact or a local contact first. Local contacts will be deleted, but Google ones will be restored.

fingaz

Reaction score
yeah.. I had a problem like this. one day I went to use the phone and with everything i did, i would get a FC message. I ended up just starting the phone up in bootloader, wiping my data and cache and then doing a factory reset.

All GOOGLE CONTACTS are synced and APPs are restored.

Also, depending on what programs/ROM's are installed, you may be able to save your settings/screen layouts.

Hyposprayer

Reaction score
Strange. I had a similar problem when I first got my Eris. It would only do that while it was plugged in and charging. Doesn't do it anymore, no clue why. I would suggest trying to let the battery run its course and then charge it back up to full power...stupid answer, but hey, it's a guess.

OP
L

LoveSnoopy628

Reaction score
on a good note, I backed up all my contacts in google format ( thank you Bob!) and backed up all my pictures and videos onto my computer.. I also formatted my SD card.. Hopefully victory is in sight!!dancedroid Onward with the factory reset! Thank you everyone for all the suggestions I will let you know how it works out.

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
on a good note, I backed up all my contacts in google format ( thank you Bob!) and backed up all my pictures and videos onto my computer.. I also formatted my SD card.. Hopefully victory is in sight!!dancedroid Onward with the factory reset! Thank you everyone for all the suggestions I will let you know how it works out.

I would also use Astro File Manager to back-up all your apps, if it isn't too late.

emilyrb

Reaction score
this same thing happens to me!!!! I guess i will run the factory backup, but if i have a backup software such as lookout, will that save my contacts ? if not how can i make my contacts google contacts so that they save, because most of mine aren't save as google contacts, but local contacts.