GS3 or GN?

spillner

Reaction score
Ok the question is simple, i'm planning on replacing my D3. I've wanted to grab a Nexus for a while now but now Samsung has just announced the new GS3. The rumor mill has the verizon version running on a dual core and not the quad core.

Question
1} how many of you are truly happy with the GN? If you're not, what's the problem?

2) should I just wait for the GS3 since it'll be the next big thing?

Thanks for the help

rayhodge02

Reaction score
I love my GN...never had any problems but I'm still interested in the s3 might buy it for my wife...(shes has a bionic now)

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
As with almost anything, it comes down to personal preference. Having said that, here is my take on it.

Hardware - With the rumors of it being a dual core stateside, that means it won't be much better than the GN, if any better at all. The screen size realistically isn't that much different, 4.8" compared to 4.65". I would guess the camera would be an upgrade, but I am not much of a photographer.

Branding - The SGS2s in the US weren't much like the SGS2s in other parts of the world. But it is even different in the US, as carriers want differentiation between other carriers. So Samsung makes the phones different for each carrier. There have been ones with keyboards, ones with different sized screens, ones with slightly different internals....etc

Release date - When will the SGS3 come to Verizon? The SGS2 took a while to hit the US after the SGS2 release across the pond. Verizon tends to lag behind other carriers so, it could be a while.

Price - More than likely the SGS3 will be rather pricey when it comes out, the GN isn't too expensive anymore (depending on where you shop at least).

Updates - While I know the GN on Verizon is lagging behind on updates, Samsung devices in the US tend to be some of the worst devices about getting updates in a timely manner regardless of carrier.

Dev community (for rooters) - While I am sure the SGS3 will have a great community, the GN already has a strong one established.

I am not overly impressed with the SGS3, or any other new phone for that matter. No phone has wowed me away from the GN. Nothing they do my GN can't already do just as well, for my needs at least. Had I not already had the GN, and had the choice, I still may choose the GN just based on price per performance. Also I like the software softkeys, over the hardware softkeys. I am not saying that the GS3 is a bad device, but I am not completely sold on it, but then again I haven't held one in my hand yet either.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
cupfulloflol said:
As with almost anything, it comes down to personal preference. Having said that, here is my take on it.

Hardware - With the rumors of it being a dual core stateside, that means it won't be much better than the GN, if any better at all. The screen size realistically isn't that much different, 4.8" compared to 4.65". I would guess the camera would be an upgrade, but I am not much of a photographer.

Branding - The SGS2s in the US weren't much like the SGS2s in other parts of the world. But it is even different in the US, as carriers want differentiation between other carriers. So Samsung makes the phones different for each carrier. There have been ones with keyboards, ones with different sized screens, ones with slightly different internals....etc

Release date - When will the SGS3 come to Verizon? The SGS2 took a while to hit the US after the SGS2 release across the pond. Verizon tends to lag behind other carriers so, it could be a while.

Price - More than likely the SGS3 will be rather pricey when it comes out, the GN isn't too expensive anymore (depending on where you shop at least).

Updates - While I know the GN on Verizon is lagging behind on updates, Samsung devices in the US tend to be some of the worst devices about getting updates in a timely manner regardless of carrier.

Dev community (for rooters) - While I am sure the SGS3 will have a great community, the GN already has a strong one established.

I am not overly impressed with the SGS3, or any other new phone for that matter. No phone has wowed me away from the GN. Nothing they do my GN can't already do just as well, for my needs at least. Had I not already had the GN, and had the choice, I still may choose the GN just based on price per performance. Also I like the software softkeys, over the hardware softkeys. I am not saying that the GS3 is a bad device, but I am not completely sold on it, but then again I haven't held one in my hand yet either.

From what I heard last, the sgsIII won't come to Verizon until almost fall, which by then you might want to be on the lookout for the next nexus device running jellybean rather than just ics
Also yes, the sgs2 came in all different forms for different carriers in the us so who knows exactly what you might be getting if it comes to Verizon (compare the att sgs2 and the sgs2 skyrocket)
And finally, if you plan to unlock, root and install custom roms (lots to choose from) then having the latest ota updates isn't such a big deal, 4.0.4 roms have been out quite awhile now and 4.0.4 isn't even out yet for Verizon

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Well im definitely gonna wait. Engadget has an article ( Google reportedly planning stable of Nexus devices with Android 5.0, will sell 'em direct -- Engadget ) stating google will be making a nexus phones and selling them around thanksgiving. I made the mistake of jumping the gun on the D3 when the GN was only a few more months away, this time im gonna wait

If they are selling them directly, that means that the chances of it being on Verizon probably aren't good.

[semi-off topic rant] I don't believe in waiting for a device if there is one out now (or coming really soon) that interests you as a worthy upgrade. Especially if that device is just a rumor, a twinkle in someone's eye. Who knows what the device will be like by the time it comes out. It could be something totally different than what you want. Maybe it is a 5.5" phone (I wouldn't be super surprised with the way phones are going), which maybe you would think is too big. Maybe it will have some sort of flaw, or lack some feature you like that other devices may have. Also, with the rate that technology changes, that by the time you wait for the new Nexus, the SGS4 will be right around the corner, or the HTC Triple X or whatever else companies will be working on. I mean sure, hold out as long as you want/can. But waiting for the best, is going to keep you waiting forever. [/rant]

DAVID2010

Reaction score
I know the waiting argument about waiting for ever because devices are always coming out. The device here is the Galaxy Nexus has been out about 7 months now.
The Galaxy S 3 has some nice upgrades. Even of its the Qualcomm S4 processor in it it is an upgrade over the processor in the GN. And when the device gets rooted and roms come, and they will come. The performance and improvement will be even bigger.
It depends on when you can get the Galaxy S 3? Do you get it in a couple weeks by importing it? Activating it on a GSM network. Go for it, the quad-core version your importing would be a huge upgrade over the gsm Galaxy Nexus. Or wait for Verizon to get a version. If it is months away for you then I don't know. I will say, I would in no way get a contract for a 7 month old Galaxy Nexus. I love mine. Its one of my favorite devices. But I got mine about half a year ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Coming from the D3 as well, the GNex was an awesome upgrade. I don't think there's a better phone on Verizon yet. However, I'll likely be getting the S3 when it comes out to give into the hype. :p But, rumors are that it is going to be released during the Olympics or something or another, so.. it may not be released till July or later. So depends on if you want to wait or are going to switch to AT&T and get the GSM quad-core version instead.