GPS Long lock on period

Ryukashin

Reaction score
So when i use the GPS it takes a while to get a GPS fix and an accurate position, usually around 3-5 minutes.

I know it was faster on my old droid 1, but is it suppose to take that long?

lazarus2297

Reaction score
A fix is coming with the over the air update.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

The OTA update (that was leaked weeks ago) didn't help my gps.. mine still takes 5 mins or so and that's if it ever finds me at all

sent from my unlocatable rebootin' Tbolt

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

The OTA update (that was leaked weeks ago) didn't help my gps.. mine still takes 5 mins or so and that's if it ever finds me at all

Yep. The ota won't fix a the Gps lock issue if its the same as the leak a couple weeks ago.

OP
Ryukashin

Ryukashin

Reaction score

Yep. The ota won't fix a the Gps lock issue if its the same as the leak a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, i've done the leaked update, it never did help GPS. Though I've heard the OTA has been permanently delayed.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Probably due to the fact it didn't fix anything. I get same signal strength(100% 4G), same Gps lock time, etc.

OP
Ryukashin

Ryukashin

Reaction score
about the only thing it did for me was it keeps my data connection better than before which might not be from the update since we had the whole thing with no 4G shortly after.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Oddly enough today after opening VZW nav and using VZW services in gps settings gmaps is finding me spot on and almost instantly and that is with just standalone gps turned on... we will see how long this lasts

DroidStang

Reaction score
takes few mins, but using standalone gps, and the blue navigation arrow app is better than paying to use vz navigator.....unless you bought that service, I learned hard way, thought hey vz navigator better than my own nuvi gps, so used,,,,,,then got my monthly bill, the blue arrow w/ standalone gps cost nothing though.

OP
Ryukashin

Ryukashin

Reaction score
My favorite thing that happens sometimes is when the GPS is really off and i'm actually about a mile outside of the edge of the error circle.

I like using GPS status to get the gps working better, it seems to speed things up. It takes about 85s to lock on and then usually makes maps work extremely fast for a lock on. other than doing that gps lock-on sucks.

Last edited:

mustascio

Reaction score
If I have my phone on cmda only mode the gps locks on quick.. maybe the increased ping speed idk give it a try

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Mine wouldn't even lock before.

now it locks within a few seconds of opening maps

KillerKPD

Reaction score
If I have my phone on cmda only mode the gps locks on quick.. maybe the increased ping speed idk give it a try

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

I do not know about CDMA mode, but my phone gets a GPS signal very quickly. I have never had any issues with it finding a signal.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

Yeah, i've done the leaked update, it never did help GPS. Though I've heard the OTA has been permanently delayed.

That's strange because others who had the leaked update said their locking on ability improved.

Sent from the Bolt powered by Thunder using DroidForums app

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Link to Source?