GPS Issies

map11586

Reaction score
So I've had my nexus for about 3 weeks now and have noticed that sometimes when I use my gps for navigation it takes minutes to lock in my position and sometimes won't work at all. The strange thing is sometimes it locks within 10-15 seconds. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the nexus or if there may be something wrong with mine. I'm currently stock, not rooted. Other than this I've had no issues it the phone and I'm enjoying it so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Where exactly are you trying to start gps?

I noticed that in a car, I can't lock GPS as well, same with buildings. However, if you know you're going to need GPS, just have it ready to navigate before you enter your car. I know this may not be the ideal case, but it's the easiest solution.

I've also heard alot of Samsungs have trouble locking onto GPS sometimes. Better to just turn it off if it doesn't lock within 30sec - 1min, depending how patient you are, and just turn it on again. I rarely use GPS, but when I need it, it usually locks within 20-30sec.

OP
M

map11586

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Usually u turn it on when I'm in the car which I suppose could be an issue its strange cause prior to the nexus I had an Incredible 2 and it would lock almost instantly in my car.
I also tried toggling it on then off, exiting out of navigation and even powering the phone off then on but still had the same issue

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for the quick response. Usually u turn it on when I'm in the car which I suppose could be an issue its strange cause prior to the nexus I had an Incredible 2 and it would lock almost instantly in my car.
I also tried toggling it on then off, exiting out of navigation and even powering the phone off then on but still had the same issue
Yeah, unfortunately Samsung doesn't use the best radios for either their phone radio or gps. Sometimes you just gotta keep toggling it on or just wait, pain in the butt. I did experience it one time, recently, and I had to power cycle the phone then it worked within 10 seconds. In that time I traveled a good half mile though, so it's most likely hit or miss situation. Like I said, I rarely use GPS as I'm quite familiar with the area I live in within a 50mi radius, but definitely understand your frustration.

I'm not aware of any update that fixes it either, unlike the phone radios.

azules9780

Reaction score
I have found that if I start up Google maps and do my address search through that and then click on navigate from inside the maps app, it locks on and starts navigating very quickly! Maybe that will help you because I used to suffer from the same thing as well.

OP
M

map11586

Reaction score
So I went from Google maps and entered in the address then went to Navigation and it locked immediately. I'll have to check this out a few times to see if it works.

Doesn't leaving the gps on all the time kill your battery life?

alboboy10

Reaction score
As far as I now, no. Unless it's being used constantly. Anyway, I've left it on and off and don't see a big difference.