Frustrated with D2G GPS

KingDufus

Reaction score
I've had my D2G (CPO) for about a month now. It is stock and not rooted. Everything is great except for the GPS functionality. The satellite lock time is very erratic. Sometimes it takes 3 seconds, other times it takes 3 minutes or more. I recently traveled to London, and the GPS barely worked at all.
I've tried selecting and de-selecting all of the GPS options to no avail. I have an active D1 that I am comparing with my D2G side-to-side. The D1 always locks into the sats in seconds.
Does anyone else have a similar issue? Is this a known issue, or is my phone defective?
thanks!

snipes1003

Reaction score
I find leaving GPS on helps alot with this issue. Also uninstalling/reinstalling google maps seemed to help.

tothenet

Reaction score
I've had my D2G (CPO) for about a month now. It is stock and not rooted. Everything is great except for the GPS functionality. The satellite lock time is very erratic. Sometimes it takes 3 seconds, other times it takes 3 minutes or more. I recently traveled to London, and the GPS barely worked at all.
I've tried selecting and de-selecting all of the GPS options to no avail. I have an active D1 that I am comparing with my D2G side-to-side. The D1 always locks into the sats in seconds.
Does anyone else have a similar issue? Is this a known issue, or is my phone defective?
thanks!

Your device may or may not be defective depending on your usage. Just giving some background tech info, GPS satelites are moving very fast. Those are not stationary by any mean. So, receiving signal from those satelites and calculation relative distances from satelites doesn't mean your phone can determine current location.

GPS satelites also send out direction of movement so, GPS device can use it to predict next location of satelites and uses it accordingly. Problem is the signal bandwidth from satelites are very very very small so it takes very long time to receive such information from all satelites. This is the case for cold boot. It takes several minutes to receive all. So, if you turn on your phone from completely strange place, your phone needs to receive all such information for a few min.

If your GPS was off for a few sec, those informations are still valid and your GPS can lock immediately.

that's the story for standalone GPS. For the case of Android phone, it can query google server with satelite ID to get equivalent information to predict next movement. Google server responds immediately. So, most of the time, we can enjoy very short lock time. However, if you travel oversea and doesn't have data connection, it will need cold boot, which takes several min.