GPS Satellite Aquisition/Lock very slow on Milestone

WirelessGuy

Reaction score
I have a Telus Milestone (IHDP56KC5) that I am running on AT&T. When using the GPS it seems like it always takes 3-5 minutes to get a lock on the satellites and start navigating. Using GPS Status, I get satellite signal within 15-20 seconds of activating the GPS, but do not get a nav lock for 3-5 minutes, this seems excessively long. On my Motorola Q9h Global I had prior, I could start navigating with the GPS within about 30-45 seconds after turning on the GPS. Would this have anything to do with AT&T not having my IMEI for this phone (since from what I understand aGPS helps for a faster lock using the cell network and if they don't have my IMEI my phone possibly isn't using aGPS???). Under Location & Security settings I do have "Use Wireless Networks" checked.

Any help would be appreciated as this is an aggrivating issue as I'd like to use the GPS often.

pajo

Reaction score
I have a Telus Milestone (IHDP56KC5) that I am running on AT&T. When using the GPS it seems like it always takes 3-5 minutes to get a lock on the satellites and start navigating. Using GPS Status, I get satellite signal within 15-20 seconds of activating the GPS, but do not get a nav lock for 3-5 minutes, this seems excessively long. On my Motorola Q9h Global I had prior, I could start navigating with the GPS within about 30-45 seconds after turning on the GPS. Would this have anything to do with AT&T not having my IMEI for this phone (since from what I understand aGPS helps for a faster lock using the cell network and if they don't have my IMEI my phone possibly isn't using aGPS???). Under Location & Security settings I do have "Use Wireless Networks" checked.

Any help would be appreciated as this is an aggrivating issue as I'd like to use the GPS often.

well...if I turn aGPS, then I get lock in about 10 seconds, but if assisted GPS is turned off, then it takes for around 2 minutes to get lock - but this depends on a gps software that you are using (I'm using navigon...)

Bossman74

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I unlocked a Telus Milestone and use it on Bell Mobility, and I too have to wait 3-5 minutes for a satellite lock, and when I tried it with a Telus SIM card, it locked under 15 seconds.

There as to be a setting that needs to be configured for the aGPS to work with a different network.

OP
WirelessGuy

WirelessGuy

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I unlocked a Telus Milestone and use it on Bell Mobility, and I too have to wait 3-5 minutes for a satellite lock, and when I tried it with a Telus SIM card, it locked under 15 seconds.

There as to be a setting that needs to be configured for the aGPS to work with a different network.
Does Bell Mobility have your Milestone's IMEI number registered?

I am wondering if the network you are using aGPS on needs your IMEI number to properly use aGPS... Does anyone know if this is the case???

Bossman74

Reaction score
Yes, it's registered with Bell. On my HTC Touch running WinMo there was a different setting depending on which carrier it was running on.

OP
WirelessGuy

WirelessGuy

Reaction score
Yes, it's registered with Bell. On my HTC Touch running WinMo there was a different setting depending on which carrier it was running on.
Do you remember what the setting was called? I can't seem to find any settings with regards to aGPS in the Milestone except for the Settings/Location & Security/Use Wireless Networks

gizmo1908

Reaction score
Hello all.

This is my first post on the forum.

I own a Milestone UK version an i live in holland. I have the same problem with the GPS, i am using Sygic Maps 10. It takes 3-5 min to lock on gps. Also i cant see any activity in the gps screen in sygic. It just shows the position in degrees. And sometimes it takes about 30 sec. Weird.

But when i use Maps it takes like 20 sec to lock. I also tried it with motonav, same problem as Sygic.

And me too cant find any settings for aGPS. Only for GPS on or off.

Thnx for any help.

gizmo1908

Reaction score
Tried copilot live and works perfect. gpsfix in 20 sec.

Copilot is best till now (that i tried myself)

waiting for tomtom android

Bossman74

Reaction score
Do you remember what the setting was called? I can't seem to find any settings with regards to aGPS in the Milestone except for the Settings/Location & Security/Use Wireless Networks

It wasn't a setting we could change in a menu, but we had to run a little ".cab" file that was different for each carrier, and that would apply the required change.

I too looked for a setting that we can change for aGPS, but it's probably buried inside the OS somewhere...

Bossman74

Reaction score
Tried copilot live and works perfect. gpsfix in 20 sec.

Copilot is best till now (that i tried myself)

waiting for tomtom android

I tried it as well, but my sat locks take at least 2 minutes, and the program itself is very slow and unresponsive, I sometime need to re-tap buttons many times before it registers.

But that could be because of the version I'm using.

I do miss my Garmin Mobile XT that I had running on winmo, that was fast and reliable. If only they would release a version for Android.

gizmo1908

Reaction score
Weird. I have no problems with Copilot at all. Even in my livingroom it takes no more than 30 sec to connect and lock. And its very stable, and fast (but in my feeling Tomtom is the best).

i use v8.0.0.606. And Europe map.

gizmo1908

Reaction score

It wasn't a setting we could change in a menu, but we had to run a little ".cab" file that was different for each carrier, and that would apply the required change.

I too looked for a setting that we can change for aGPS, but it's probably buried inside the OS somewhere...

I thought Andoid isnt compatible with CAB files??

gizmo1908

Reaction score
aha oke.

i used to have a Xperia X1 (HTC manufactured) and it uses Quickgps. Damn thats fast. 20 Sec max on GPS lockdown.

I'm testing Copilot on the Stone right now but the GPS lock is still very unstable, in the beginning it took like 20 sec and now its back to 2-4 min. Like Sygic and all the others i tried. Hope they sorted this out in 2.1 update.

I have a N97 with sygic with aGPS but the Stone is much slower than the N97. Seems to me like the aGPS is crap. But on the other hand, if i use Maps, the GPS lockdown is way faster then the N97. Very confusing!?