GPS, Swype, and Maps Questions (FREE BEER INSIDE!)

Whitechapel

Reaction score
1) I disable my GPS when I'm at work for obvious reasons. Sometimes after I get out I need to go somewhere. I'll turn my GPS on and it refuses to locate. I know I get signal there because sometimes I'm lucky and it works first time. What might be causing it? I switch it off and I've even tried rebooting my phone to get it to work and it wont.

2) With Swype, how do you stop that annoying box from popping up from time to time. It covers the word suggestions and is extremely irritating.

3) How do I make it the Google Maps with Directions keeps my locations so I do NOT have to keep punching them in again???

I will buy a case of beer for whoever answers these questions the quickest and correct.
Beer90.jpg

HikenGruven

Reaction score
1) I disable my GPS when I'm at work for obvious reasons. Sometimes after I get out I need to go somewhere. I'll turn my GPS on and it refuses to locate. I know I get signal there because sometimes I'm lucky and it works first time. What might be causing it? I switch it off and I've even tried rebooting my phone to get it to work and it wont.

2) With Swype, how do you stop that annoying box from popping up from time to time. It covers the word suggestions and is extremely irritating.

3) How do I make it the Google Maps with Directions keeps my locations so I do NOT have to keep punching them in again???

I will buy a case of beer for whoever answers these questions the quickest and correct.
Beer90.jpg

1. I had a similar problem and discovered that I had disabled the network location service. Not sure what else it could be.

2. Go to settings, language and input, Swype, preferences, then un-check tips.

3. Not sure what you mean by this. You can star an area on a map. You can also press your home button instead of backing out.

Assuming I even got anything right, I'll pass on your offer. Lots of people here have helped me out and never asked for anything in return.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
1. I had a similar problem and discovered that I had disabled the network location service. Not sure what else it could be.

2. Go to settings, language and input, Swype, preferences, then un-check tips.

3. Not sure what you mean by this. You can star an area on a map. You can also press your home button instead of backing out.

Assuming I even got anything right, I'll pass on your offer. Lots of people here have helped me out and never asked for anything in return.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

1. Network location service, where is that located exactly for me to check?

2. Perfect, that did the trick for me! Thanks, I didn't know where to find the options at.

3. Let's say I need to go home from where I'm at. Every single time I need to go home, I have to punch in my address. My Droid 1 always kept the addresses I typed in, with my Galaxy Nexus I'm finding I have to constantly punch in the address regardless of how many times I visit a place. Edit: I found "Automatic caching" set to "Wi-Fi Only", I switched it to "Wi-Fi or mobile networks". Should resolve that issue.

HikenGruven

Reaction score

3. Let's say I need to go home from where I'm at. Every single time I need to go home, I have to punch in my address. My Droid 1 always kept the addresses I typed in, with my Galaxy Nexus I'm finding I have to constantly punch in the address regardless of how many times I visit a place. Edit: I found "Automatic caching" set to "Wi-Fi Only", I switched it to "Wi-Fi or mobile networks". Should resolve that issue.

1. If you don't know, then you haven't done it. Try going to settings, then to Location & Security, then selecting the option that allows you to use wireless networks for GPS. That may help your location searching move a little faster.

3. Previous addresses appear on mine if I tap the magnifying glass symbol. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Kenny Bats

Reaction score

2. Perfect, that did the trick for me! Thanks, I didn't know where to find the options at.

3. You can add a contact called "Home" with your address. Then start navigation, press "address book" and choose home. I frequently flash ROM's and clear the cache. It helps to enter addresses to contacts for easy navigation.

PhilD

Reaction score
3. You can add a contact called "Home" with your address. Then start navigation, press "address book" and choose home...
or, if your paranoid like i am, you might add the address of business near your home (instead of your actual home address) so anyone who steals your device won't also know where you live :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Unless you're running apps or services at work that use the GPS, there's really no advantage to turning it off. It doesn't constantly run. It will only turn on when an app or service needs to use it. So leaving it on, but not running anything that actively uses GPS, is the same as turning it off.

As for saving addresses for navigation, you can star locations in Google Maps, and that saves them to your account. When you start up the Navigation app, you'll see an option for "Starred Places." It also keeps a list of your recent destinations below that. From Google Maps, if you tap Maps at the top left, at the bottom of the list you'll see "My Places" with a star next to it. These are all of the locations that are saved to your account as well.

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Unless you're running apps or services at work that use the GPS, there's really no advantage to turning it off. It doesn't constantly run. It will only turn on when an app or service needs to use it. So leaving it on, but not running anything that actively uses GPS, is the same as turning it off.

As for saving addresses for navigation, you can star locations in Google Maps, and that saves them to your account. When you start up the Navigation app, you'll see an option for "Starred Places." It also keeps a list of your recent destinations below that. From Google Maps, if you tap Maps at the top left, at the bottom of the list you'll see "My Places" with a star next to it. These are all of the locations that are saved to your account as well.

Awesome dude, this post was extremely helpful. Thank you for everything you just said, it seems all common sense but still, obviously I lack it enough to not notice these. :) Thanks sir!!