Google Pixel 4a 5G / Pixel 5 is here!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Pixel 5 seems great, especially at that price. We don't have 5G at all in out area, so I'm not looking to buy one anytime soon. Plus, my 4XLnisnt even a year old yet. But next Spring, maybe.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
6" screen and 4000ma battery? Take my money! :D

I'm on a Verizon plan, but I'm not sure going with the VZW model is worth it vs unlocked. the mmWave 5G just isn't available in enough areas.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yeah agree all these 5G phones really not useful now... If you keep them then future proof..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Pixel 5: Aluminum back with a hole cutout for the Qi wireless charger, filled in with special "bio resin" plastic. Cool! No glass back, makes me want one.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Pixel 5: Aluminum back with a hole cutout for the Qi wireless charger, filled in with special "bio resin" plastic. Cool! No glass back, makes me want one.

Haha.. Go for it! Good stuff

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's looking like there is a price to pay for fitting the 6" display into the small body of the Pixel 5. Early reports show that the under screen top speaker and down firing bottom speaker don't hold up well compared to dual front firing speakers of previous generation Pixels.

Oh well, I guess you just can't get everything.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just ordered my wife a Sage Green Pixel 5. Expected delivery around November 5th. Her 3aXL has had some Bluetooth issues after upgrading to Android 11 (and several factory resets didn't help) so we decided it was time for a new phone. I'll come back later when we get it and post my thoughts after setting it all up and getting it running.

Last edited:

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just ordered my wife a Sage Green Pixel 5. Expected delivery around November 5th. Her 3aXL has had some Bluetooth issues after upgrading to Android 11 (and several factory resets didn't help) so we decided it was time for a new phone. I'll come back later when we get it and post my thoughts after setting it all up and getting it running.

Sweeeet!!! My wife's OnePlus 5T is showing its age and giving her fits. I'm trying to point her towards the P5 as well.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

Awesome... I'm sure you made a great choice... It's getting great reviews
Sweeeet!!! My wife's OnePlus 5T is showing its age and giving her fits. I'm trying to point her towards the P5 as well.
Haha good man.. 8T also a nice upgrade if you can't get her on Pixel

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Awesome... I'm sure you made a great choice... It's getting great reviews Haha good man.. 8T also a nice upgrade if you can't get her on Pixel
I'm thinking it's a great phone, even with that 700 series chip. I think Google might be into something here. If it's as good as it seems, I might get one also. But no rush for me, my 4XL is running fine and as good as new.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm thinking it's a great phone, even with that 700 series chip. I think Google might be into something here. If it's as good as it seems, I might get one also. But no rush for me, my 4XL is running fine and as good as new.

Definitely good enough with that 700 chip.. Your 4 XL is brand new still

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So, my wife's new sage green Pixel 5 arrived the other day and we set it up last night. My first thought when opening the box was...."man that seems small". It's crazy that a 6" phone seems small to many of us. I guess all of these ultra and XL phones have made us think a 6" phone is small. The Pixel 5 is not small, just seems like it to me compared to my 4XL. The screen to body ratio is nice, almost a full 6" of usable screen. I don't think most people are ever going to notice the lack of a "flagship" chip (I hate that flagship term), this phone is fast and smooth as a hot knife through butter. She couldn't believe how smooth & snappy it is compared to her Pixel 3a, and how much faster it downloads & installs apps. I think it's going to be a great phone. Oh, the new Google fabric cases are really nice too. I think they look & feel better than last year's cases. I like the new case design. Overall, she's very happy with it and I'm happy with the price - the Pixel 3a trade-in that Google offered.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
So, my wife's new sage green Pixel 5 arrived the other day and we set it up last night. My first thought when opening the box was...."man that seems small". It's crazy that a 6" phone seems small to many of us. I guess all of these ultra and XL phones have made us think a 6" phone is small. The Pixel 5 is not small, just seems like it to me compared to my 4XL. The screen to body ratio is nice, almost a full 6" of usable screen. I don't think most people are ever going to notice the lack of a "flagship" chip (I hate that flagship term), this phone is fast and smooth as a hot knife through butter. She couldn't believe how smooth & snappy it is compared to her Pixel 3a, and how much faster it downloads & installs apps. I think it's going to be a great phone. Oh, the new Google fabric cases are really nice too. I think they look & feel better than last year's cases. I like the new case design. Overall, she's very happy with it and I'm happy with the price - the Pixel 3a trade-in that Google offered.

That’s great to hear ...I agree with its build and screen to body ratio we call it small ...haha
Now time for her to enjoy it and run it through the paces ...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
And I forgot to mention....the battery life really is great. Noticeably great.