Google Now.

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Hello, all.

Google Now.

Anyone been using it? What are the benefits? My real concern is battery drain.

Been questioning whether or not to initiate it on my phone.

Thank you.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I've been unplugged for 33 hours. According to Battery Indicator, Google Now does not appear on the list of apps that have used 2% or more of my battery. It's not using much data either.

I like (not love) it so far. It gives quick access to sports scores for teams you select, traffic to home/work depending on where you are, quick access to package tracking if a tracking number is in your Gmail, and more. It's also alerted me that I need to leave in 15 minutes for calendar appointments. Some handy features... customizable if there are ones you want or don't want.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Does not seem to be any battery draining for me either. Battery life over all since the update is the same or slightly better I think. I also agree Google Now is nice but not great but I have not played with it a ton yet. Going on a trip tomorrow so will be interesting to see if is helpful etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

chhare

Reaction score
I have not used it much either than to look and "play around" a bit. I did get a reminder to leave for an appointment I had in my Google calendar yesterday. At first I thought it was my reminder I had set, but this was telling me it was time to leave for the drive, with the time just about right due to traffic. By the way, how did you get it to select what sports teams you want info for?

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
By the way, how did you get it to select what sports teams you want info for?

Show all the sample cards, scroll down to Sports and go to the settings for that card. It will also automatically add teams you search for.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I love the Google Now widget. Use it for traffic conditions to and from work every day, company stock update, and sports updates are generally what is displayed on the widget. And I use Google Now voice commands in the vehicle for voice text and voice calling....works great.

popeclif

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any battery drain from Google Now. It is a pretty rad app, still room for improvement.

fireman00

Reaction score
I've been using it for 5 days, for drive times to work/ home, stock quotes, weather. I haven't charged up since 6 pm Friday, 20% battery left. So far the only thing I haven't been able to find is to set alternate routes in the map card.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I love the Google Now widget. Use it for traffic conditions to and from work every day, company stock update, and sports updates are generally what is displayed on the widget. And I use Google Now voice commands in the vehicle for voice text and voice calling....works great.

I would think that using the Google Now widget (as opposed to opening the app from time to time) would use more battery and data since it's constantly updating. Have you noticed a difference?

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I would think that using the Google Now widget (as opposed to opening the app from time to time) would use more battery and data since it's constantly updating. Have you noticed a difference?

No. I am a heavy user though so I am usually down to about 30-40% battery life by 9pm every day. Yesterday I barely touched my phone and it was at 80% when going to bed.

_skibum

Reaction score
I'm liking Google now. I just wish that it would use the drive time for the back roads that I use every day instead of the highway route that I do not use. I'm hoping that it will learn after I make the trip a few more times.

Mike

thegreatone3

Reaction score
I'm liking Google now. I just wish that it would use the drive time for the back roads that I use every day instead of the highway route that I do not use. I'm hoping that it will learn after I make the trip a few more times.

Mike
It learned for me (after a few weeks) that I take the non-freeway route home every day. Now this routing shows up on Google Now. :thumbup:

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
It learned for me (after a few weeks) that I take the non-freeway route home every day. Now this routing shows up on Google Now. :thumbup:

Awesome. I hope it'll catch on to my route too. Hopefully I don't confuse it on days I work late and take the highway home. That's simply not an option in rush hour!

It's kind of scary how well Google Now figures us out. :)

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I hope it'll catch on to my route too. Hopefully I don't confuse it on days I work late and take the highway home. That's simply not an option in rush hour!

It's kind of scary how well Google Now figures us out. :)

They're watching us!! I'll use it, but I'm putting my tin foil hat back on.

Rogus

Reaction score
What triggers the map/traffic card for those of you who are commuting home?