Google Now.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
What triggers the map/traffic card for those of you who are commuting home?

Typically when I'm home it shows traffic & driving time to work, and vice versa. If I'm at neither location I think it tries to determine which one to suggest based on time & day.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it can figure out what route I'm driving if it doesn't have the GPS turned on all the time. I don't see the GPS icon in the notification bar, but I assume it must use it constantly. I'm sure this is somewhat of a battery drain, but my battery life seems OK so far. As long as it doesn't decrease, I'll keep using it for now.

Droidology

Reaction score
How are you able to get more than one card on the Google Now widget? All I seem to be getting is a single card that just randomly changes. I resize the widget to 4x4 but nothing else appears. I am using Go Launcher, if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't even use the widget. I just open Google Now to see the cards. I don't think you can get more than one card at a time on the widget and they do just randomly change.

Danny123

Reaction score
umm where is the widget? Iscanned the entire widget list 2x and nothing under google, now, or search. I even downloaded the updated google search app from play. Strange.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
How are you able to get more than one card on the Google Now widget? All I seem to be getting is a single card that just randomly changes. I resize the widget to 4x4 but nothing else appears. I am using Go Launcher, if that has anything to do with it.

I just added a Google Now widget to test this. It showed one card. I opened Google Now and it too showed one card. When I clicked on show more cards at the bottom, it also added cards to my widget.

umm where is the widget? Iscanned the entire widget list 2x and nothing under google, now, or search. I even downloaded the updated google search app from play. Strange.

I went to add Widgets, and selected Google Search (alphabetically on the list). It said there were two options, one of which is Google Now. The other is a Google Search bar.

Droidology

Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting. I have clicked on the "show more cards" in the actual app, but still stuck with one card on the widget. Definitely not worth the space it takes up (4x4).

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I've had as many as 5 cards show on the widget in a 4x4 space. Right now it has 4 cards showing on the widget: Drive Home time, a stock quote, sports card for tonight, and weather.

pdholtz

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my wife's phone, in the apps select the google search and it should do an update. After that you should be able to find the widget.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Danny123

Reaction score
I went to add Widgets, and selected Google Search (alphabetically on the list). It said there were two options, one of which is Google Now. The other is a Google Search bar.

How did you get the two options? When i hold it down, i just get the 4x1 google search bar option. No google now option.

Danny123

Reaction score
I figured it out. I didn't restart after updating google search from the play store. once I did the google now widget appeared for me. By the way, it shows up as a 4x4 only widget, but once on your screen, you can resize it smaller.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm not sure how it can figure out what route I'm driving if it doesn't have the GPS turned on all the time. I don't see the GPS icon in the notification bar, but I assume it must use it constantly. I'm sure this is somewhat of a battery drain, but my battery life seems OK so far. As long as it doesn't decrease, I'll keep using it for now.

It uses cell tower locations as well if gps is not on. I have left gps on and did not notice a big battery drain. I am beyond impressed with the battery life right now. The drain when on mobile data seems less too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Danny123

Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting. I have clicked on the "show more cards" in the actual app, but still stuck with one card on the widget. Definitely not worth the space it takes up (4x4).

The widget seems to reflect the actual cards you use. It started with one but then once I clicked through a few in the actual app, it appeared on my widget.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I'm still not sure about using the widget. It could be quite a battery drain for two reasons - constantly updating the info and the fact that there's so much white on the widget. Isn't the darker your screen, the better it is for the battery?

Yes, I'm getting great battery life so I shouldn't be concerned. And I usually only charge every other day. But I don't want to waste extra battery if I don't have to.