Google May Partner with Chinese OEM for Next Nexus Phone [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-china.jpg

It's hard to fathom what Google's next plan is with the Nexus smartphone line. The next Nexus smartphone can't be called the Nexus 7 because they used that before for their first Android tablet. Of course, they seem to have carved out a fairly strait-forward naming convention, by simply matching up the size of the display with the number of the device (mostly).

With this numeric scheme, that basically relegates any Nexus numbered devices at 6 or below to smartphones, while anything larger would obviously be a tablet. Of course, it's also possible Google might ditch the numeric naming altogether and head in a different direction. Since we are speculating about Nexus devices, we might as well share the latest rumor regarding Google's Nexus series. Supposedly, the next Nexus smartphone from Google will be made from a Chinese manufacturer instead of the usual bunch: (LG, HTC, Samsung, etc.)

If true, this would push the next Nexus toward either Xiaomi, Huawei, or Lenovo. Of course, if it is Lenovo, then it might just be another Motorola device since they own them now. What do you guys think of this if true, and who would you like to see run with the Nexus ball next?

Source: PhoneArena

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think they went about the N6 very poorly... I'm not sure I want to see moto give it another try right away... But i think they deserve a better shot than they got.. And they should just leave vzw out of it.. Here we are with the next generation of flagships fixing to drop.. And just now... Vzw starts teasing the n6(not even sure what that really is yet.. Is a carrier specific or just a run of the mill unlocked n6) ..

Huawei has been making noise.. I'm guessing it might be them...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
What did they do wrong with the Nexus 6? I've been nothing but happy with mine. My only issue was the lack of quantity for it at launch...and even now. I waited a month for mine to ship.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's exactly it.. Vzw slow to get it.. Not having enough on hand. Long waits for shipping..

kinfolk248

Reaction score
We have a new Nexus for sale but we only have 37 or them ready and it takes us 6 weeks to make the next 37 which wont leave the factory warehouse for another 6 weeks. Oh yea almost forgot, all major US carriers will have it but its gonna be a play by ear staggered release...

Nexu6 was just as stupid as the OnePlus One launch...

Both Google and Moto f'ed up!!!!!! Google is still f'ing up b/c they are losing control of Android faster than updates are going out. Now they wanna push Wallet now that Applepay is coming online. Smartwatches are ditching Wear, Oems are developing their own smartphone os nowadays. Smh

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's exactly it.. Vzw slow to get it.. Not having enough on hand. Long waits for shipping..

Vzw being slow to get it is a vzw issue not a Google issue plus those on verizon who wanted a nexus could have gotten one.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We have a new Nexus for sale but we only have 37 or them ready and it takes us 6 weeks to make the next 37 which wont leave the factory warehouse for another 6 weeks. Oh yea almost forgot, all major US carriers will have it but its gonna be a play by ear staggered release...

Nexu6 was just as stupid as the OnePlus One launch...

Both Google and Moto f'ed up!!!!!! Google is still f'ing up b/c they are losing control of Android faster than updates are going out. Now they wanna push Wallet now that Applepay is coming online. Smartwatches are ditching Wear, Oems are developing their own smartphone os nowadays. Smh

As much as I love the nexus I agree. The constant sell out where people had to luck out and hope to get a nexus only to be disappointed was stupid. But I think this is one of those issues where Google trying to play ball with the carriers were trying to make sure carriers had enough to sell. And with a phone that cost so much it makes since because people are going to want to buy it through the carrier to either insure it or break the cost down into payments. Google unfortunately was put in a rough spot with the Nexus because they could not open up the flood gates and allow people to buy all through them or Moto as that would short change the carrier. But most people who want a Nexus want it because it do not have carrier logos and bloat so they would rather not buy it through the carrier. The Nexus 6 was a learning device for Google to figure out the best way to sell their phone and also a way to have a reference device for Vzw LTE tech (think trojan horse). They can use what they learned and hopefully create there own store for a nexus where a customer can buy a phone and take it to any carrier they want.

As far as Google losing control of Android I beg to differ. We have to get this mindset that the Google of old is passing away. Google want that enterprise and corporation money and to do that they are going to have to evolve android. So the android from the old droid days is just not going to fly with corporations trying to keep their network and information secure. The nexus 6 and lollipop is the poster child with encryption and lollipop being hard (if not impossible) to root without unlocking the bootloader.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
As much as I love the nexus I agree. The constant sell out where people had to luck out and hope to get a nexus only to be disappointed was stupid. But I think this is one of those issues where Google trying to play ball with the carriers were trying to make sure carriers had enough to sell. And with a phone that cost so much it makes since because people are going to want to buy it through the carrier to either insure it or break the cost down into payments. Google unfortunately was put in a rough spot with the Nexus because they could not open up the flood gates and allow people to buy all through them or Moto as that would short change the carrier. But most people who want a Nexus want it because it do not have carrier logos and bloat so they would rather not buy it through the carrier. The Nexus 6 was a learning device for Google to figure out the best way to sell their phone and also a way to have a reference device for Vzw LTE tech (think trojan horse). They can use what they learned and hopefully create there own store for a nexus where a customer can buy a phone and take it to any carrier they want.

As far as Google losing control of Android I beg to differ. We have to get this mindset that the Google of old is passing away. Google want that enterprise and corporation money and to do that they are going to have to evolve android. So the android from the old droid days is just not going to fly with corporations trying to keep their network and information secure. The nexus 6 and lollipop is the poster child with encryption and lollipop being hard (if not impossible) to root without unlocking the bootloader.

Corporate sponsors and encryption has nothing to do with Samsung, LG, OnePlus saying 'to hell with Google, we are going to take some of their own free code and build our own entirely new platform for our own products.' That's what Im talking about, believe it or not but Android is getting more and more diluted. Also believe this or not but Im gonna guess you'll get upset and throw a tantrum, buttttttttttt Nexus devices should have always been in 'all in' concept. Think about it like this, Andy is fragmented, Nexi are fragmented so how can Android consolidate when the very product that they say is 'supposed' to be the concept and ideology of Android is not one whole being....?!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Corporate sponsors and encryption has nothing to do with Samsung, LG, OnePlus saying 'to hell with Google, we are going to take some of their own free code and build our own entirely new platform for our own products.' That's what Im talking about, believe it or not but Android is getting more and more diluted. Also believe this or not but Im gonna guess you'll get upset and throw a tantrum, buttttttttttt Nexus devices should have always been in 'all in' concept. Think about it like this, Andy is fragmented, Nexi are fragmented so how can Android consolidate when the very product that they say is 'supposed' to be the concept and ideology of Android is not one whole being....?!

Tantrum, no. As much as the nexus is my phone of choice I have said many times that it is not the best phone out. Best nexus, yes. Top end specs, yes but there is still room to improve.

There is a difference between AOSP and the Android we are seeing on phones such as samsung, lg, moto, and the nexus. AOSP is open source so companies like Amazon, Cyanogenmod, or even you have the right to take that to build your own custom software. But the Android that is on Nexus device (which is still used as a reference device for Google's software) and the Android that Samsung, LG, HTC, and Moto build upon is controlled by Google. Yes google give some lead way but even with Samsung they basically set some ground rules. Google made those changes so that they continue to make sure their core apps and services continue to remain up to date. Where we are at with android now is an improvement from a few years ago when you would buy a high end smart phone from a big name oem that would only see one update.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Tantrum, no. As much as the nexus is my phone of choice I have said many times that it is not the best phone out. Best nexus, yes. Top end specs, yes but there is still room to improve.

There is a difference between AOSP and the Android we are seeing on phones such as samsung, lg, moto, and the nexus. AOSP is open source so companies like Amazon, Cyanogenmod, or even you have the right to take that to build your own custom software. But the Android that is on Nexus device (which is still used as a reference device for Google's software) and the Android that Samsung, LG, HTC, and Moto build upon is controlled by Google. Yes google give some lead way but even with Samsung they basically set some ground rules. Google made those changes so that they continue to make sure their core apps and services continue to remain up to date. Where we are at with android now is an improvement from a few years ago when you would buy a high end smart phone from a big name oem that would only see one update.

Tantrum was a joke lmaooo

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Vzw being slow to get it is a vzw issue not a Google issue plus those on verizon who wanted a nexus could have gotten one.
I'm not meaning that as a Google issue.. I am meaning it as an end user issue though.. Not everyone has the knowledge we have.. And there are so many scams out there... That when you tell a person that they should buy one from t-mobile and it will work on vzw. They look at you like you're the scum of the earth... Believe me..

And i also mean it.. As in it kept moto from getting all of those potential sales.. However they staggered the release of the n6 to give the turbo as much of a chance as they could.. Imho

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I'm not meaning that as a Google issue.. I am meaning it as an end user issue though.. Not everyone has the knowledge we have.. And there are so many scams out there... That when you tell a person that they should buy one from t-mobile and it will work on vzw. They look at you like you're the scum of the earth... Believe me..

And i also mean it.. As in it kept moto from getting all of those potential sales.. However they staggered the release of the n6 to give the turbo as much of a chance as they could.. Imho
tis true

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

True heck even verizon people looked at me like scum when i asked for a sim card for my att nexus 6. Though you right about us Android nerds. But the main people who buy nexus devices are the nerds who visit forums like these. Google barely advertise the nexus at least not at the scale that a Samsung, Motorola, or a HTC. And the target audience, those that know what vanilla Android is, well we already know. Plus as much as I love nexus phones (particularly the 5 & 6) I don't think it is a phone that appeal to the average consumer any way. What do people mainly care about, camera, trendy, gimmicks. Well the nexus is none of that. Hence why I send those people to Samsung.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not sure why they even bother to release a Nexus anymore. Well, I know why... but at a business standpoint, they can't be making all that much money with this device. If any other company besides Google was behind it, they would have stopped making this device 2 years ago.
Compared to other flagship devices, they don't even come close IMO.
Google knows this isn't a device for the masses and that's one of the reasons they don't waste money on advertising or seem too concerned with having it readily available on release day. IDK
It's the crash test dummy of the smartphone world.

S5 tap'n

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Not sure why they even bother to release a Nexus anymore. Well, I know why... but at a business standpoint, they can't be making all that much money with this device. If any other company besides Google was behind it, they would have stopped making this device 2 years ago.
Compared to other flagship devices, they don't even come close IMO.
Google knows this isn't a device for the masses and that's one of the reasons they don't waste money on advertising or seem too concerned with having it readily available on release day. IDK
It's the crash test dummy of the smartphone world.

S5 tap'n
Its not for the masses b/c nobody knows about it.... Wonder what would happen if they ran those tear shedding commercials like Apple lol (yall know that one Christmas commercial Im talking about lmao) think they had one for a widowed grandmother too, whoever made that one it was nice too...

Last edited: