[Rumor & Poll] LG to Make the Next Google Nexus Phone, Again

Which smartphone OEM would you like to see build the next Nexus phone?

• LG is fine with me again.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony would be something fresh.

• HTC makes gorgeous devices, let's see what they can do.

• Samsung deserves another crack at a Nexus smartphone.

• I would be really excited to see what Motorola can do with the Nexus line.

• Other... someone we might have missed.

• Total voters

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus-6-gflex-style-concept.jpg

The above image is simply a concept render found randomly on the web.

There are more rumors floating around the internet suggesting that LG will again get the contract with Google to build the next Nexus phone. We shared a similar tidbit just a few days ago, here. If this turns out to be true, it will be the first time that Google has kept the same manufacturer for a Nexus phone for more than two times in a row. This doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, as there is no real way to predict what Google will decide. So far, LG has done a good job for Google, so they may stick with what is working.

It would obviously be nice to see Google go with someone else this time (like maybe Motorola finally?), but it seems unlikely. There's still no solid evidence of what the next Nexus smartphone will be. There have been hints at a Nexus 6, but the model number corresponds with the size of the display, so that would mean a 6-inch phablet style phone. It's possible Google might venture into that market with a secondary/new device, but we hardly think it would be the only Nexus phone. It's still possible the next Nexus will be another Nexus 5, but will be simply called the 2014 Edition, (like they did with the latest Nexus 7 from last year).

Regardless, we were curious to see what you guys desire in the next Nexus smartphone... specifically: "Which manufacturer would you like to see build the next Nexus smartphone?" Here's a poll to provide your opinion.

1. LG is fine with me again.
2. Sony would be something fresh.
3. HTC makes gorgeous devices, let's see what they can do.
4. Samsung deserves another crack at a Nexus smartphone.
5. I would be really excited to see what Motorola can do with the Nexus line.
6. Other... someone we might have missed.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
That may be a random render you found on the web, but it's very attractive nonetheless.

I am tired of Samsung devices littering the Android field. I'd love to see Sony make an affordable Nexus device, but I don't think Sony would be interested. HTC was the first, and they deserve another crack at it.

Whoever gives it a go, if it's not carrier agnostic, I don't really care who makes it, I won't be buying it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'd like to see Motorola do a nexus before they go to lenovo

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just want it to be Verizon compatible.

I was about to make a similar comment, but with much longer, sharper fangs in it. Something like:

I don't know what percent of VZW customers are members on this forum -- 10%? 40%? 80%? -- but as one of them, I petition that WE NO LONGER POST NEWS ABOUT NEXUS PHONES!!!! I am so incredibly frustrated by the updates and teasers of these wonderful beasts, only to discover that at launch there ain't no way I'll get my hands on one (yeah, yeah, don't lecture me about "leaving Verizon" please!). As the N5 appeared and launched, I told anyone and everyone I could that there would never be a VZW version, only because I'm that bitter. Of course it never had a hope, but somewhere deep within me there was a desperate wish that just maybe...

OK, that little rant ^^^ was mostly just me venting. But you TMo, AT&T, and Sprint customers...put yourself in our shoes for a second. Now I (sorta) know how Tantalus must have felt! :p It really, really sucks to see a phone you can't have.

-Matt

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was about to make a similar comment, but with much longer, sharper fangs in it. Something like:

I don't know what percent of VZW customers are members on this form -- 10%? 40%? 80% -- but as one of them, I petition that WE NO LONGER POST NEWS ABOUT NEXUS PHONES!!!! I am so incredibly frustrated by the updates and teasers of these wonderful beasts, only to discover that at launch there ain't no way I'll get my hands on one (yeah, yeah, don't lecture me about "leaving Verizon" please!). As the N5 appeared and launched, I told anyone and everyone I could that there would never be a VZW version, only because I'm that bitter. Of course it never had a hope, but somewhere deep within me there was a desperate wish that just maybe...

OK, that little rant ^^^ was mostly just me venting. But you TMo, AT&T, and Sprint customers...put yourself in our shoes for a second. Now I (sorta) know how Tantalus must have felt! :p It really, really sucks to see a phone you can't have.

-Matt

Put the Sony in the same vein as the Nexus.
I would buy either of those phones over an S5 in a heartbeat.
I have an S4 and have no plans, what so ever to buy a S5 after the "KNOX Pox" that has infected the Galaxy devices.
Give me a choice! Verizon is probably being paid by Samsung not to carry other devices.

Also like Gadgetrants said, don't try to extol the virtues of leaving Verizon, I have unlimited data and I get it an extreme discount.
I have handcuffs because unlimited data at a dirt cheap price is more important than device choice.

tommyleeruiz

Reaction score
Question

If Samsung is paying verizon to not carry other devices then why is it that the Galaxy S4 that came as a Google Edition phone didn't come out for verizon??????????

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Also like Gadgetrants said, don't try to extol the virtues of leaving Verizon, I have unlimited data and I get it an extreme discount.
I have handcuffs because unlimited data at a dirt cheap price is more important than device choice.

Add to that list "and Verizon is the only carrier with coverage near my house" and yeah, I'm pretty much handcuffed too.

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sony...definitely Sony.

Funny you mention Sony. Played with a really cool, but very rough, app from one of the developers at XDA...."meta widget"....You could make your own custom widget from basically any website, and specify how frequently to update. The potential seems huge to me.

And apparently the app and project was sold to none other than Sony.

jspradling7

Reaction score
What was the conflict between Verizon, Samsung and Google over Nexus or Galaxy Nexus? I had a GNex for a long time and never did find out what the problem was or why Verizon would never get another Nexus.

Bratster2

Reaction score
What was the conflict between Verizon, Samsung and Google over Nexus or Galaxy Nexus? I had a GNex for a long time and never did find out what the problem was or why Verizon would never get another Nexus.

Verizon likes to have control over anything on its network.
The point of the nexus is that Google has control.

Bratster2

Reaction score
Except for the iPhone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they said no to it for that reason. Then the iPhone got huge on att and vz realized they made a big mistake saying not without our control.