Google Maps Navigation

jeffm1000

Reaction score
What is the point of the Google Maps Navigation app? Is there something that I'm not seeing that can't be done by going into your phone book and getting directions from there?

jchammer123

Reaction score
Not really. I use it for work and I just speak the destination into it. But you can get to the same place through maps or contacts. Its the same as, why do we have different icons for phone and contacts when you get to the same place either way.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
Phonebook and directions? If you're talking about the contacts app or the dialer, I don't think they give you directions. Unless you were to select the address displayed under a contact in the contacts app, then I would assume it would take you to google maps or navigation.

In case you don't know, google navigation is a gps app.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phonebook and directions? If you're talking about the contacts app or the dialer, I don't think they give you directions. Unless you were to select the address displayed under a contact in the contacts app, then I would assume it would take you to google maps or navigation.

In case you don't know, google navigation is a gps app.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

lol.....I don't think he did know. A GPS is lot different from just a map. Try it when you're in your car, simply press the search button and say "Navigate to" wherever you're going and watch it work it's magic.

fireman00

Reaction score
I retired my Garmin and have used Google Navigation for the last 5 months. I've had one problem with it, shot me off one exit early when heading to a restaurant in PA. The traffic alert notification is usually pretty accurate - actually turns yellow/ red when things go south. My Garmin would show green while I was sitting at a dead stop in traffic. Plus, there's no need to pay for map updates.

jchammer123

Reaction score
He is talking about going to an address in your phonebook! And, maps and navigation get the same result. Look up an address in maps then select navigate, or, open navigation put in the address and go. Same thing, only the navigation app is just a shortcut.

iRenegade

Reaction score
I used nav for the first time last week. I'm giving my GPS units away to friends. My only issue is that my charger couldn't keep up with the battery drain-I didn't have music or anything else going except the phone. Anyway, I just ordered a 2a/1a usb charger/adapter and hopefully that will take care of the drain.

jchammer123

Reaction score
I used nav for the first time last week. I'm giving my GPS units away to friends. My only issue is that my charger couldn't keep up with the battery drain-I didn't have music or anything else going except the phone. Anyway, I just ordered a 2a/1a usb charger/adapter and hopefully that will take care of the drain.

Mine does the same thing. I use my nav several times a day and have to leave my phone in the car to charge while I'm at an appointment, but I've found my phone nav to be more accurate than my gps.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is the point of the Google Maps Navigation app? Is there something that I'm not seeing that can't be done by going into your phone book and getting directions from there?
The directions you're getting are from Google Maps Navigation. Clicking on a contact's address launches Google Maps Nav unless you have changed your defaults.

xan

Reaction score

whats your favorite deli, thats not in your phonebook? lets say it Max's. Tell your phone "Navigate to Max's deli" and you will get directed and shown how to get there, be routed around traffic and construction and be given a street view of Max's when you get close.

Ive asked mine some truly random searches and it almost always surprises me with accurate results.

Big Lou

Reaction score
The directions you're getting are from Google Maps Navigation. Clicking on a contact's address launches Google Maps Nav unless you have changed your defaults.
He's talking about how the app list has "Navigation" as a separate link to the navigation app. He doesn't know if it does anything different than just finding the address in contacts and navigating from there.

Personally, I like having everything within reach, and it filters out contacts that don't have addresses. Plus, it's the only way you can get to 3D map view with traffic without having a set destination.

DroidJT

Reaction score
He's talking about how the app list has "Navigation" as a separate link to the navigation app. He doesn't know if it does anything different than just finding the address in contacts and navigating from there.

Personally, I like having everything within reach, and it filters out contacts that don't have addresses. Plus, it's the only way you can get to 3D map view with traffic without having a set destination.

Ha ha ha....You're giving him a lot of leeway. :) I wouldn't give him any breaks on this one without his own clarification b/c I'm still unclear why you wouldn't use navigation outside of only saved contacts.
Jeffm1000: You must have an extensive 'phone book'. Have you ever used navigation to go somewhere you didn't already have as a contact? If so, BAM, you walked right into the answer.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah yes. Easily answered by just clicking on the blue arrow... Don't be afraid to play around!

Last edited: