Developer
Developer
Reaction score
OP
Hikertrash

Hikertrash

Reaction score
I use these apps for travel: Google Maps, MapQuest

I've always used Mapquest online for direction and to send to a Garmin GPS (Legend for hiking which worked "just OK" on roads).

I took the Droid for a spin to the local Lowe's and a liquor store and I have to say I'm totally impressed with Google Navigation. I'm from New England with an accent and speech destination recognized my voice right away (as opposed to voice command for dialing which had troubles). The app gave me a choice of three local liquors and when I arrived at the destination, a photo of the store, just like pulling in live, popped up. Every labeled street we passed was correct. It may even have live traffic, how would it know?

I'm still new at it and have to figure out how to change to a new destination, but other than that and apparent heavy battery usage (most of the time it will be connected) it worked great.

Dave Lister

Reaction score
To change to a new destination, hit the menu button, then "More", then "Set Destination".

OP
Hikertrash

Hikertrash

Reaction score
To change to a new destination, hit the menu button, then "More", then "Set Destination".

Oh great thanks for that.

I got the car dock from Motorola. As soon as it's snapped into the holder a message from Verizon pops up saying use of the VZ Navigator comes with a monthly subscription, accept or decline. of course, I decline and use Google Navigator for free.

Is there a way to stop these nag screens?

txter

Reaction score
Try going to settings/apps/all and scroll to the bottom to VZ Navigation and disable it. That might work.

OP
Hikertrash

Hikertrash

Reaction score
Try going to settings/apps/all and scroll to the bottom to VZ Navigation and disable it. That might work.

No disable button. I check the box to make Google Navigator the default we'll see if that works but something tells me VZ will keep on nagging.

txter

Reaction score
Are you updated to ICS ?
If i follow the steps i told you, i get 2 buttons. One says FORCE CLOSE and the other says DISABLE.