Google Announces CR-48 Chrome OS Netbook

J

JohnDroid

As we mentioned earlier, Google finally took the plunge and announced the first developer hardware available for Chrome OS developers and Chrome OS testers (pilot program) alike.

What do we know about the Netbook? Well, we know the hardware and we know that Google is specifically making sure the Netbook has no branding on it whatsoever. It's pretty generic and will have versions made by both Acer and Samsung.

The Specs are as follows:

• 12.1" Display
  • SSD Hard Drive
  • Full Size Keyboard
  • Intel Atom Processor
  • World Mode 3G (Verizon)
  • 8+ Hour Battery (Active Usage)
  • 8+ Day Standby Time
  • Webcam

The specs are nothing to write home about but this is a test/reference platform... and, best of all, you have a chance to get one for FREE from Google. All you need to do is sign up here.

Also, we'd like to take this opportunity to announce that we've created a forum dedicated entirely to Google's Chrome OS. We think this has the potential to be a very popular and disruptive OS and it deserves it's own home. Enter the Chrome OS Forum. We would appreciate you checking it out and registering an account and participating in the discussion! To do so, visit Chrome OS Forum

(Source: Chrome OS Forum & ChromeSource)

DroidsRUs

Reaction score
I signed up. Will be interesting to see how many people from this forum actually get one.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I signed up on another forum of mine. I'd imagine they won't be "giving" away too many of these.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Applied.. hope i win!!!

megawatz

Reaction score
I applied as well. Although I LOVE black (my favorite color), im worried about overheating issues. Anyone think it might overheat? Black does attract the most heat.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I don't think you'll have too many issues with black and over heating unless you're in direct sunlight.. At least I would think... But I applied, that'd be a cool Christmas present from Google haha. I used to have the OS on my laptop (Parallels) but it was in the early stages when I had it. (over a year ago).

Dan_08

Reaction score
I signed up too, hopefully if any of you guys get one you give us all a good review! I will do the same.

kastj

Reaction score
Sweet, I just applied for one. Hopefully the competition for these isn't too stiff so I can get my hands on one.