Google Account Anonymity

User0101

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. My Droid X arrives this week and I'll be going through the initial Google Account setup along with the Google Checkout function. I'm curious if I should use a pre-existing Gmail account or create a new one just for the Droid.

Is the account I create visible by anyone through normal use of the phone or would it only come into play if I'm using the Gmail function to send/receive email?

One of my concerns is that my Gmail account is not publicly distributed to my friends since I have my own domain email address and have for years. I understand I can set that account up on my phone which is great but I'm required to setup this Gmail account or use an existing Gmail account with the Droid and I don't want to start confusing my friends and family with yet another email address for them to try and remember.

Maybe things are much simpler than what I'm perceiving but I'm just trying to keep things simple, have the functionality of an associated Gmail address, and Google Checkout as well for the apps I want to purchase.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Use the one you have.
Don't leave the Gmail app on the desktop.....

OP
U

User0101

Reaction score
So I'll maintain the functionality of having an associated Gmail account and Google Checkout but wont be using the actual App for sending/receiving email?

Am I reading you right on that one Backnblack?
Thanks for your help.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
So I'll maintain the functionality of having an associated Gmail account and Google Checkout but wont be using the actual App for sending/receiving email?

Am I reading you right on that one Backnblack?
Thanks for your help.

Yes/No

If you use the app, it will send email with that account.
If you want to use a gmail account to send mail, you can add several accounts to the app. (I have 4). On 2.1 you select what account you want to send from, In 2.2 you can select on fly from a dropdown bar.

I use Touchdown to sync with my Exchange server for my other emails.

It's the first Gmail account you add that is used to sync with the market.

OP
U

User0101

Reaction score
I understand now. Thanks again for your help.