Going Raw on ALLO

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

After using ALLO for the past 4 days here are my thoughts while touring the CNN area.

After 4 days are you still using it?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
pc747, there is nothing I can disagree with you in your opinion of Allo. It would seem they could have just added the changes/enhancements to hangouts.

Jonny Kansas mentioned (somewhere) that he thought maybe the purpose of Google having both apps is to make hangouts more for business and Allo for social. I think people would rather reduce the number of apps that have similar functions. Why do we need one for business and one for social? Why not include a function in one app to have two or more different social purposes (business, friends, family, customers, etc) where you select a tab at the top to go to the group you are texting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
pc747, there is nothing I can disagree with you in your opinion of Allo. It would seem they could have just added the changes/enhancements to hangouts.

Jonny Kansas mentioned (somewhere) that he thought maybe the purpose of Google having both apps is to make hangouts more for business and Allo for social. I think people would rather reduce the number of apps that have similar functions. Why do we need one for business and one for social? Why not include a function in one app to have two or more different social purposes (business, friends, family, customers, etc) where you select a tab at the top to go to the group you are texting.

I would rather them keep hangouts as the main and allo for business since it requires a number and people in the group.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I would rather them keep hangouts as the main and allo for business since it requires a number and people in the group.
I think they need to combine the features of both into one app (why do we need two) and if they want to make a distinction between business & social, do it within one app.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My wife & I have been using it in place of texting. That's it. I may dump it though, because I found out today when I took the baby to get his brother's birthday cake that it doesn't support voice to text from Android wear.

What I said elsewhere is that I read something that hangouts might be transitioning to a business only app. Not necessarily that you'd use it for business & allo for personal, but that hangouts would be for businesses & allo for consumers.

I also don't get allo & duo being separate.

Didn't Google just go through a period of consolidating apps a few years back?

Isn't that why they rolled Google Voice into hangouts?

I'll keep so around for now, but until I can text everyone I know without spamming them to install it, I'll only use it to talk to my wife.

Sent from my Moto Z