Go SMS Vs. Handcent

cece5702

Reaction score
I just downloaded Handcent, but was going to try Go SMS also. No sure if its much different from Handcent. Which do you prefer for your texting App?

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I personally use Handcent, but I hear a lot of positive feedback on Go SMS. To each their own I suppose, and both seem to be great platforms. I have had handcent for years and just this week tried the themes. Very cool, but that's how far behind I am. Ha!

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I used handcent for the past couple of years. switched to GO about a month ago...thinking of going back just because of the lil things that I have become accustomed to on Handcent. best example i can give is settings and new sms are on opposite sides of each app (if that makes sense) and i am always hitting the wrong button out of habit

thegreatone3

Reaction score
Have tried both. I prefer Handcent mostly due to the visuals. That's strictly personal preference though. Both have a ridiculous amount of options to spice up your sms.

SallyC

Reaction score
What bugged me in SMS - and it's probably stupidity on my part - is how to only reply to one person when the message is to a group. I see where it says Send to and you can touch it and see all the recipients, but I can't figure out how to just have it go to the sender. I figure it's gotta be possible, but I emailed the developer and he didn't reply and I tried to find it elsewhere and couldn't. If someone can set me straight on that, I'll be a fan again.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
What bugged me in SMS - and it's probably stupidity on my part - is how to only reply to one person when the message is to a group. I see where it says Send to and you can touch it and see all the recipients, but I can't figure out how to just have it go to the sender. I figure it's gotta be possible, but I emailed the developer and he didn't reply and I tried to find it elsewhere and couldn't. If someone can set me straight on that, I'll be a fan again.

I just tried to find an option on both Handcent and Go and I was unable to find it... did you try and contact Go or Handcent?

SallyC

Reaction score
I just tried to find an option on both Handcent and Go and I was unable to find it... did you try and contact Go or Handcent?

Haven't tried Handcent. I only contacted Go but got no reply. Makes me feel a little better you couldn't find it either. :)

mbell75

Reaction score
Used Handcent for a long time, switched to Go and I prefer that. More ability to customize and the themes are great.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I use Go. I have tried pretty much every texting app out there in the last two years and always go back to go. The thing for me was the pop ups over the lock screen. Go just works the best(for me).

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I use Go. I have tried pretty much every texting app out there in the last two years and always go back to go. The thing for me was the pop ups over the lock screen. Go just works the best(for me).

Yeah I like the pop up over the lock screen with Handcent. For some reason the pop ups over the lock screen don't work for me with Go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

friguy3

Reaction score
So tried both of these and they are basically the SAME. Even the menus are almost identical. Almost like they are the same app and then kinda skinned alittle different. Only went back to handcent bc...there is an option to have the keyboard automatically pop up for a text (only option i couldnt find on GoSMS).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I started with handcent on my og Droid but it was using too much memory on that phone and the og couldn't handle it even after it was rooted, clocked and cleaned of boat and garbage. My og Droid didn't have that problem with go sms and is the only reason I switched. If course with the Razr I don't anticipate having the problem if running out of memory but the two are so similar there is no reason for me to switch back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

kagood

Reaction score
Handcent does the same thing as GO, it replies to EVERYONE in the group. I have not found a way to edit the settings, my work around is to start a new msg to the individual that I want to talk to rather than reply to the group msg

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So tried both of these and they are basically the SAME. Even the menus are almost identical. Almost like they are the same app and then kinda skinned alittle different. Only went back to handcent bc...there is an option to have the keyboard automatically pop up for a text (only option i couldnt find on GoSMS).

It is kind of hidden, but if you go Appearance settings and then under Conversation Appearance and click Conversation other settings. There you can tell it to show virtual keyboard automatically when entering conversation.