handcent sms

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by AHB900, Dec 5, 2009.

1. AHB900

AHB900 New Member

I just Dled handcent SMS which is suppose to be a free SMS app. Now heres the thing i need help with when i send txts its fine im assuming im not being charged for it, but when i recieve txts it still recieves it with the original SMS and the handcent which means im possibly getting charged for the messages i recieve and its really annoying when i get 2 popups for texts. Is there anyway to disable that SMS and only have the Handcent sms? also is this seriously for free? or is there a catch?

Thanks guys
  2. DroidFan

DroidFan New Member

I just checked my VZW online account and as I thought, you're still getting charged for texts incoming/outgoing (or using your SMS plan) when using Handcent. It's just another means to communicate, but it still uses your text plan.

Using Google Voice, however, will not use your SMS plan. (Again, verified this with texts through GV against my VZW account).

Hope this helps.
  3. Crewski

Crewski New Member

The Handcent SMS is a free application, but the texts that are sent and received are not free (unless of course you have an unlimited texting plan).
    The regular messaging app that comes with the phone will always be running in the background. However, what you want to do it open it up, go to settings, and turn off all notifications. That way you will only be notified by Handcent when you get a message.
  4. medicTHREE

medicTHREE New Member

Like posted above, it is just a free app, not a way to do free sms. To disable the messaging app from notifying you go into messaging, settings, notifications and turn them off. You can also turn of auto retrieval so they never show up in that app.
  5. AHB900

AHB900 New Member

hmm i must have misread the description... I guess ill be going back to my factory SMS, it has less problems.

Thanks guys
  6. greenchicken

greenchicken New Member

if you want free texting on a droid you have to use google voice, but you cannot send mms messages in google voice.

also that handcent is a cool program but I still can't get mms to work like it's suppose to... sometimes it works and sometimes not...
  7. medicTHREE

medicTHREE New Member

What problems? We gave you fixes to the other problems you described. It is by far better than the built in messaging app.
  8. greenchicken

greenchicken New Member

it's better looking but the mms still does not work right all the time, if it did, its the one I would use....
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Multiple MMS messages here... all work fine. What's not working about it?
  10. greenchicken

greenchicken New Member

no idea whats wrong, I send mms, it does not, other than that it's out of my hands.... it does work somethimes though but sometimes they take hours to go thru

no idea
  11. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Guess you can't be blamed there :unsure:. I got nothing unfortunately...
  12. cgarnes

cgarnes New Member

I have had issues with Handcent, too, but only the upgrade (everything was fine until there was a new release). I contacted the developer, who was VERY COOL and FRIENDLY, and he suggested that I download an app called Log Collector so that if another issue arose that he could troubleshoot.

What an excellent bit of customer service! If you contact him, I am sure he will do what he can to try and fix things (and it could be coincidental - my problem might not even be Handcent, at all, but maybe another app that isn't playing nice with it).

I'll let you know what I find out on my end.
  13. ashkev843

ashkev843 New Member

I've had a few problems with mms on handcent. If I send just a pic with no text it won't go through. But if I add text to the mms it does. Kinda strange, but not a big deal. I love the customizable options that handcent gives over the messaging app that came with it.
  14. Anomander

Anomander New Member

Ok quick question. I got a text through handcent the other day. It looked like it was trying to play an audio file then show a picture at the end (Happy Holidays from the Woods). I take it the Droid is not doing both audio and video in the same text message?
  15. Geofferson

Geofferson New Member

Has anyone downloaded any of the Handcent fonts? When I do, I can't get past the font install screen, so I had to uninstall the font to get back to Handcent SMS. Looked like a bug from what I could tell...
  16. greenchicken

greenchicken New Member

downloaded handcent again about 6pm Sunday.... and at 230 this morning the mms still has not sent.... I give up on it, must be a Verizon thing
Search tags for this page

does handcent sms use text plan

handcent annoying running in the background
handcent sms free or no
handcent sms is running in the background
handcent sms is running in the background click to open it
if you have unlimited texting is handcent free
is handcent free
is handcent sms free
is handcent sms free texting
is registering for handcent sms free
sending sms from handcent is not free