Gnex user with some questions on the Rezound.....thinking about switching

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yeah, I got kinda burned out on the Droid 1 doing that stuff.

The Droid 1 was massively underpowered as a stock device. I was able to overclock it to 1ghz...and stable! So I had an incentive to play with ROMs and root apps on it. The Rezound is probably already operating to it's limits as it is, so there is a lot less incentive to mess with it for me. There's not a lot to improve upon.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
One benefit I could see with the software buttons is that you could basically create or delete or re-arrange buttons as you see fit. You cant do that with the hardware ones. All you can do with them, at best, is re-assign their functions or disable them.

Also, software buttons do look cool. I admit.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Rezound is probably already operating to it's limits as it is, so there is a lot less incentive to mess with it for me. There's not a lot to improve upon.

Agreed. I just like to tweak the idle CPU settings and voltage to maximize battery life. The only other main reason I care about S-Off is to get timely Android updates (which beyond ICS I don't think will be that significant for a while). There might be some fantastic custom feature in a rom, too, although I never cared for or used any of those special hacks and tweaks, I was just trying to optimize my OG's battery and ram management.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
One benefit I could see with the software buttons is that you could basically create or delete or re-arrange buttons as you see fit. You cant do that with the hardware ones. All you can do with them, at best, is re-assign their functions or disable them.

Also, software buttons do look cool. I admit.

Agreed. It is slick the way they disappear for video and games. But I don't see much need to change them or mess with it - 3/4 buttons with 3 functions each...and, really, what more do you need besides a home, back, search and recent apps/manager button? I use the buttons a lot, and any more customization I might need or want I can accomplish with my launcher set-up.

jbg25

Reaction score
Hey guys...I have unlocked my bootloader and am running Bamf 1.0.2. Not overclocked right now...don't see the need...but running DBS's custom kernel that can clock to 1.83 stably on my phone...I do find taking advantage of the governor and undervolting is helpful.

As far as S-off...From everything I have read...we can do anything and everything discussed here EXCEPT custom radios. Every thread I have read over at XDA says that is the only thing S-off really protects. It also makes flashing kernels and boot img annoying as they cannot be done in recovery, but instead have to be done through the FASTBOOT on the Bootloader.

Imprisoned

Reaction score
I ordered the Rezound this morning for me and my wife, sounds like we also made the right choice. I wanted the Nexus because all of the hype, but there are just too many threads and bad reviews of poor signal to consider it. When I called Verizon this morning to order the phones I got an honest sales rep and she told me to avoid the Razr and the Nexus is having issue also,but by far the Razr got the most complaints. She told me that she couldn't really remember getting any complaints about the Rezound.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As far as S-off...From everything I have read...we can do anything and everything discussed here EXCEPT custom radios. Every thread I have read over at XDA says that is the only thing S-off really protects. It also makes flashing kernels and boot img annoying as they cannot be done in recovery, but instead have to be done through the FASTBOOT on the Bootloader.

Good to know. Now the question is how long before we see more kernels and an ICS build? I wonder if the capacitative buttons are causing a struggle if the current ICS AOSP doesn't have that support.

I'll probably flash the kernel at some point as I'll take whatever extra battery savings I get with undervolting. It definitely is a pain to not be able to do all that in recovery in 1 or 2 easy steps.