Gnex user with some questions on the Rezound.....thinking about switching

acousticshade

Reaction score
Both phones are really great devices and I spent a month reading up on both and agonizing about my choice. I ended up with the Rezound because of the following.

1. The camera is fantastic. The camera on the Nexus is ho-hum at best. Although the shutter speed and panoramic modes on the GNEX are pretty awesome, the biggest problem is getting focused shots. I probably took over 100 shots at several different Verizon stores & was lucky if I got a majority of them to be in focus. Even decent in-focus shots are often fuzzy looking and I'm shocked at some of the reviews that say the GNEX camera is the better of the two. I've had absolutely no problems with the Rezound camera and the shutter is almost as fast.
2. The LCD screen. Yes the Amoled screen looks better in some circumstances, but, like a plasma tv, they can suffer burn-in. I plan on handing my phone down to my kids after two years, so don't want a ghosted out screen from the dumb software buttons.
3. The sound. Free $100 headphones, great call quality, both much better than what the GNEX had.

I'm not knocking the GNEX, but other than the better battery life (which is questionable from a lot of the threads I've been reading), ICS and probably better upgradibility/modding in the end, the Rezound wins for for me.

I think you'll be happy with the Rezound. The only thing I'm concerned with is the battery life, but the jury is still out on that for me since I've only had it for two days and am still conditioning it (although I am really not impressed so far).

samiusmc

Reaction score
I finally got rid of the GNex and got the Rezound. Best decision I ever made.

OP
bigjunior45

bigjunior45

Reaction score
Thanks for the response back everyone. I'm going to head back to Verizon tonight and will be exchanging my Gnex for the Rezound or the Razr. The only thing that bugs me about the Rezound is the audio distortion when watching a video that you record on your PC or laptop. Every video I've watch on Youtube has this audio distortion/scratchy sound.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Taking my GNex back for the Rezound this weekend, more than likely. I want the extra storage the Rezound has (perhaps even much more given 64gig cards are working in some other phones, probably will work in the Rezound as well). People rave about the camera. And I also miss the capacitative buttons (really more of an issue that I don't like how the software buttons work on my GNex, and also miss a dedicated search button).

If and when the Rezound gets S-off (I think it will soon), then IMO the only area the GNex trumps the Rezound is a slightly larger screen (even then, 5-8% larger which is probably barely noticeable).

jcardona1

Reaction score
Taking my GNex back for the Rezound this weekend, more than likely. I want the extra storage the Rezound has (perhaps even much more given 64gig cards are working in some other phones, probably will work in the Rezound as well). People rave about the camera. And I also miss the capacitative buttons (really more of an issue that I don't like how the software buttons work on my GNex, and also miss a dedicated search button).

If and when the Rezound gets S-off (I think it will soon), then IMO the only area the GNex trumps the Rezound is a slightly larger screen (even then, 5-8% larger which is probably barely noticeable).

After having owned both phones, my honest opinion is that there is really nothing that's better on the Nexus. Aside from ICS and the unlocked bootloader, the Rezound trumps the Nexus in every aspect. With the extended battery, I can get 20+ hours with very heavy usage and the screen on full brightness at all times. I no longer have to dim the screen to make my battery last.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
After having owned both phones, my honest opinion is that there is really nothing that's better on the Nexus. Aside from ICS and the unlocked bootloader, the Rezound trumps the Nexus in every aspect. With the extended battery, I can get 20+ hours with very heavy usage and the screen on full brightness at all times. I no longer have to dim the screen to make my battery last.

Yeah, I may look at an extended battery...will depend on the case options - I don't want to carry a brick or have people think I have one of those '90's bag phones. Having to turn off the screen to conserve battery is a major drawback - when you get a text or email, you want to be able to just glance at the screen and see it. So if you need some security, a few lockscreen widgets make that about perfect.

Agree with your take on the Rezound vs. Nexus. Some Nexus owners have really dug-in over how great the developer community makes it. But I think, truthfully, even a hardcore modder/flasher has difficulty trumpeting 50 roms vs. 20 roms as a real advantage, no matter how marginal. If the Rezound had 5 or even just 2 quality roms, then having choices of a bunch of sub-par alternatives really adds nothing.

Maybe the larger screen matters on the GN, although hard to notice perhaps. I can see an argument for not wanting the capactitative buttons, but as I said I think the software buttons in their current form/function are a fail. And aside from a teeny bit of extra screen you get when watching video or playing a game, there's really very little difference/advantage to the software buttons. Yeah, maybe some roms will enable you to add or remove buttons, but between a double-click and long-press each capactitative button can do up to 3 things.

jcardona1

Reaction score
But I think, truthfully, even a hardcore modder/flasher has difficulty trumpeting 50 roms vs. 20 roms as a real advantage, no matter how marginal. If the Rezound had 5 or even just 2 quality roms, then having choices of a bunch of sub-par alternatives really adds nothing.

I agree. The Nexus is very much like the OG Droid, in the sense that you need a massive developer following to constantly put out ROMs that make the phone usable in the real world with no issues. Think about it. It weren't for all the custom ROMs, most of these phones would have been returned. Folks say flash this and flash that to fix all your bugs and issues. I shouldn't have to rely on the developer community to make my phone hold a data signal and have decent battery life. The Nexus came out of the box with tons of issues that affect it's everyday use. I like that the phone was unlocked, but I HATE flashing. It takes too much time out of my busy day to get everything up and running the way it was.

That simply IS NOT an issue with the Rezound. It works out of the box, and works damn well. I can't even see what software update it would even need at this point. I haven't even unlocked/rooted mine yet either. I'm waiting a few weeks to get some solid ROMs so I can do it all at once, flash a ROM, and enjoy the phone for the next several months without having to do it again.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It works out of the box, and works damn well. I can't even see what software update it would even need at this point. I haven't even unlocked/rooted mine yet either. I'm waiting a few weeks to get some solid ROMs so I can do it all at once, flash a ROM, and enjoy the phone for the next several months without having to do it again.

funny thing is, I need root to hack the gmail and email so Pure Messenger widget will show both. Doesn't work on ICS because Google cranked-up the security even more (and a bit beyond me to mod those apps myself). So going back to GB won't be horrible for me. Aside from the under-the-hood stuff and a few widgets, ICS doesn't mean all that much to me because my home is so customized with the launcher I'm using already.

JeffDenver

Reaction score

I really DO NOT like not having separate buttons. That really bothered me about the GN. Not only do those software buttons take up screen real estate, but playing with it in the store I noticed they are not always persistent. That is really annoying IMO.

The "larger screen" also means a lower PPI. And frankly, 4.3" is already a little on the big side IMO.

samiusmc

Reaction score

As far as I know, the Rezound's bootloader can be unlocked.

HTC Rezound Bootloader Unlocked at HTCDev Even Though It Isn’t Listed as a Supported Device – Droid Life

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what S-Off will do for me. From what I understand this would only be useful for overclocking or messing with the radio...the CPU is already very fast and the radio is almost perfect.

kparks

Reaction score
Thanks for the response back everyone. I'm going to head back to Verizon tonight and will be exchanging my Gnex for the Rezound or the Razr. The only thing that bugs me about the Rezound is the audio distortion when watching a video that you record on your PC or laptop. Every video I've watch on Youtube has this audio distortion/scratchy sound.

Let us know how u like it..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what S-Off will do for me. From what I understand this would only be useful for overclocking or messing with the radio...the CPU is already very fast and the radio is almost perfect.

Gives you access to the nand flash and complete r/w access to all system files, so you can flash a truly custom (unsigned) rom. I think the kernel plays in, as well, and the advantage there is auto under/overclock and voltage tweaks (without using SetCPU), which can significantly impact battery.

Another benefits is changing how the capacitative buttons work a little, along with some other relatively minor things like changing the status bar (i.e. putting in a power widget) and drop menus. And other minor things you can easily live without.

Until we get S-Off, it's just not truly on-par with the customizability of the Nexus, but agree with your point that a lot of that is overrated. My obsessive hacking/romming with the OG Droid stemmed from wanting to do much more than it was capable of with it specs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
but playing with it in the store I noticed they are not always persistent. That is really annoying IMO.

100% agree. Some of it is lag, but the little vertical settings bar in the lower right-hand corner is especially finicky. I've had the Nexus since launch, and I have not adapted to the software buttons nor have I grown to tolerate them, really. The missing search/voice search button is also something I miss pretty bad.

All of that could be fixed, probably, with a custom rom (which I haven't flashed any), but the only real benefit I see to the software buttons is a marginal gain in real estate for games and movies (neither of which I do much of). And, quite frankly, when I want to hit a button to exit a video or change something else, it's annoying and a bit tricky to get them to pop-up how you would like. And one final point - with the Otterbox Defender case the software buttons become "recessed", which only makes them harder to press. I also have apps right above them on my screen, so sometimes I misclick and launch the app (or vice-versa). In current form the software buttons are, IMO, a massive fail.

My suspicion is the capacitative/software buttons will become like the physical keyboard - some people will want them, some (maybe most) will not.