GNex or Razr Maxx?? I've read everything but I need help with my decision please!

leland_7

Reaction score
I have read article after article for individual reviews, comparisons, and even apple user reviews!
From what I gather, the biggest reason to choose the GNex would be for the ICS which seems to be a really nice UI.

I have seen the speculation on when (AND IF!) the Razr will get ICS. Apparently, Moto is quite frustrating with timely updates.

I keep reading that ppl don't like Moto/Razr b/c of locked bootloader and therefore cannot root. However, I keep seeing what appears to be rooting threads in the Razr hacking forum? I'm also seeing where they're installing ICS on the Razr's. What gives?

So, in my mind a Razr with ICS would trump a GNex. What are your thoughts about the different things mentioned here? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

jimmysif88

Reaction score
Ive had the maxx for a month or so,and i couldnt be happier.

I run mine with go launcher and dolphin browser.

I cannot see how ics is going to improve this beast,its super smooth,superfast,and lasts forever.
I fear the ics update because it seems as if they just got gb perfected.

All is just my opinion.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
A locked bootloader makes it so you can't flash kernels which can improve performance, improve battery life, allow overclocking (improves performance even more), allows underclocking and undervolting (improves battery life even more), and it allows a lot of other little things too...
A locked bootloader also makes it a little harder to flash roms and it will probably also limit any unofficial ics roms since ics requires a few kernel modifications...
Basically a locked bootloader makes roms harder to make and kernels nearly impossible and it also discourages developer support... Its just harder to work with a device with a locked bootloader

jimmysif88

Reaction score
Yea see i dont know about all that stuff.
Stock it is a very stable and fast beast

droidlady05

Reaction score
Wait for the Droid Fighter. Which is a Razr Maxx variant that's supposed to come out in April. You'll have ICS, HD screen and Motorola build quality, but you'll still have the locked bootlader.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Another big down side... IMO... Is with the locked bootloader... You can't have a true custom recovery... so if your playing around and boot loop... It's sbf time... Instead of just booting into recovery to fix it...

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid Fighter = too big. The razr/maxx are big enough by themselves. Bigger than that is basically a small tablet (Galaxy Note??).

If you're not much of a tinkerer, the Maxx will suit you fine and the locked bootloader won't be an issue, you'll get solid reception, and top-notch battery life.

If you are a tinkerer, the Gnex is like cocaine. It's an Android tinkerer's dream, to a fault.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
You can still root the RAZR and enjoy all the benefits of root. Like others said locked bootloader just means no overclocking. If you aren't huge on flashing ROMS and stuff the RAZR is probably the better choice to enjoy that huge battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
Thx for the replies and for clarifying on bootloader/kernel stuff. I know a lot is personal preference but... I wish I could find someone who has used and directly compared a GNex to a Raze Maxx with ICS.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thx for the replies and for clarifying on bootloader/kernel stuff. I know a lot is personal preference but... I wish I could find someone who has used and directly compared a GNex to a Raze Maxx with ICS.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I have both sitting in front of me right now - have for a few days... :blink:

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you are a tinkerer, the Gnex is like cocaine. It's an Android tinkerer's dream, to a fault.

Hey!
I resemble that...haha...

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

alboboy10

Reaction score
With a nexus you'll always have an updated Google device. With Motorola your phone will be old in a month. Only positive of the razr maxx is the huge battery. But other than that its nothing special.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only positive of the razr maxx is the huge battery. But other than that its nothing special.

That's the one thing keeping me with it, though, as it's a pretty nice feature - especially on such a solid LTE device. But I do love the Nexus...