Messed up my Razr Maxx, need help?

DrifterX

Reaction score
After attempting to install the OTA ICS 3x's. I was on rooted stock GB and finally got it thru after removing safestrap. Everything was fine and dandy, until stupid me decided to change the font using custom font changer. Well that made my phone stuck at the red eye. I installed Razr Utility 1.6 and thought that maybe I can wipe data/cache and go back to .181 and take the ICS OTA again, but that didn't work. It now loads up the M logo, then shuts down. I'm thinking that since I already did get on .211 (ICS) should I dl Razr Utility 1.7 and try to sideload ICS instead? I can still get to stock recovery so I'm hoping all is not lost. I don't know exactly what my battery status is now, but left it plugged to the wall outlet. Not even sure if it's charging.lol Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP! ICS tasted sweeet for the 2 mins I spent with it.hehee:hail: Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
Guess, no one knows what to suggest. Ok then does anyone know how I can try to sideload the ICS to my phone? I'm trying to connect phone to PC so I can drop the "Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" onto my sd card. But PC is not reading phone because I can't even get past the M logo. I'm gonna try to redo this with the Razr Utility 1.7 and sideload ICS. As soon as I can figure how to "connect" my phone to PC so I can drop in that zip file.

rotordroid

Reaction score
Try holding power + vol (+) + vol (-) all together until the phone goes into recovery menu, then select Fastboot to run the Utility.

You might have to hold those keys down for 10 sec or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
Try holding power + vol (+) + vol (-) all together until the phone goes into recovery menu, then select Fastboot to run the Utility.

You might have to hold those keys down for 10 sec or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the help. But I've done all that. I can get into fastboot and run the Utility but it didn't help out. I might've done more more damage trying to go back to .181 when I just got on .211. Right now I'm trying to somehow get the phone to "connect" with PC so that I can drop in the Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip. Don't think I can run the option 1 in Utility until I at least drop that ICS zip on my sd card first, correct? If there is another approach I should take, please let me know. Tried going back to .181 and failed so I'm lost right now. My last resort is to go back to my old rooted DX. But I'm afraid by doing that, It may somehow affect my sim card in the RAZR Maxx? I'm holding out a little bit longer hoping someone has a better suggestion...:biggrin:

leftspin

Reaction score
I might've done more more damage trying to go back to .181 when I just got on .211.

You did, unfortunately I don't think there's a way to rescue the device at this point since you can't boot into the OS to put the update file on the SD card. How did you get the update initially? OTA or via sideload? If you sideloaded it yourself manually then you may be able to run option 1 on Matt's Utility 1.7 and then install the ICS update through recovery the same way you did the first time IF the file is still on your SDcard or in /cache but I think that's your only hope.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there's another way to get you back up and running.

Last edited:
OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
Took the OTA. I'm hoping I can manage to somehow drop in that ICS zip on sd card then apply the zip thru external memory. I might be lucky enough to get the phone back up and running.

leftspin

Reaction score
Took the OTA. I'm hoping I can manage to somehow drop in that ICS zip on sd card then apply the zip thru external memory. I might be lucky enough to get the phone back up and running.

Just thought of something-

You said you had a Droid X laying around, correct? Stick your SD card in the DX and use that to put the ICS update zip on the SD card. You don't have to activate the DX or anything to do that, just boot it as far as the homescreen and transfer the file over.

Then once you have the file on your SD put it back in the Razr and you should be able to run option 1 on the 1.7 utility and then sideload the update and be able to boot back into ICS. I say should because I'm not sure what actually happens when you're on ICS and try to fastboot back to GB, whether it permanently screws something up or it's just a temporary soft brick.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-installation-guide-droid-razr-razr-maxx.html this thread should also be of some help to you

Last edited:
OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
Just thought of something-

You said you had a Droid X laying around, correct? Stick your SD card in the DX and use that to put the ICS update zip on the SD card. You don't have to activate the DX or anything to do that, just boot it as far as the homescreen and transfer the file over.

Then once you have the file on your SD put it back in the Razr and you should be able to run option 1 on the 1.7 utility and then sideload the update and be able to boot back into ICS. I say should because I'm not sure what actually happens when you're on ICS and try to fastboot back to GB, whether it permanently screws something up or it's just a temporary soft brick.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-installation-guide-droid-razr-razr-maxx.html this thread should also be of some help to you

Does that mean I have to pry apart the Razr to take out the sd card? I thought it was sealed, is there some access points on the Razr that makes it easier to pull apart without doing a whole lot of damage to the shell? Is there an old sbf method like on the DX or does that Utility tool kit pretty much does it all. Btw Thanks for taking the time to help out. I did too much flashing Roms on the old DX and got ahead of myself in my confidence on rooting.lol The wife's not too happy right now. hahaa

leftspin

Reaction score
Does that mean I have to pry apart the Razr to take out the sd card? I thought it was sealed, is there some access points on the Razr that makes it easier to pull apart without doing a whole lot of damage to the shell? Is there an old sbf method like on the DX or does that Utility tool kit pretty much does it all. Btw Thanks for taking the time to help out. I did too much flashing Roms on the old DX and got ahead of myself in my confidence on rooting.lol The wife's not too happy right now. hahaa

Haha I don't blame her, but don't worry, we're gonna get you out of this mess :)

To take the SD card out, look on the left side of the phone towards the bottom. You'll see a little rectangle cut out from the rest of the siding. There's a little spot on that rectangle that you'll look and and go "hey, I bet I can stick my fingernail in there and pry it open!" Well, you'll be right about that. Open that bad boy up and you'll see two cards in there, a white one and a black one. The white one is the SIM card, don't touch that, but use your fingernail to press in the black one a little bit till it makes a little click sound. Then just pull it out and put it in the DX. Then once the file is on it you can put it back in the same place.

EDIT- About your SBF question, yes there are SBF files for the Razr but unfortunately they won't help you at this point

Last edited:
OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
It's gonna take a little to get this set up. My Razr is at 90% battery life. So let me see if this is the method we're gonna try.
1. Remove sd card from Razr and place in Dx
2. Copy and paste ICS zip file onto the sd card, then place back in Razr
3. Run Utility 1.7, go to Fastboot, then select option 1. Wipe cache then run the zip?

Ok so do I need to wipe data/cache before installing ICS zip?
I'll need a few minutes to do this, then I'll report back. Thanks again :)

leftspin

Reaction score
It's gonna take a little to get this set up. My Razr is at 90% battery life. So let me see if this is the method we're gonna try.
1. Remove sd card from Razr and place in Dx
2. Copy and paste ICS zip file onto the sd card, then place back in Razr
3. Run Utility 1.7, go to Fastboot, then select option 1. Wipe cache then run the zip?

Ok so do I need to wipe data/cache before installing ICS zip?
I'll need a few minutes to do this, then I'll report back. Thanks again :)

You got it, just gonna clarify a couple quick things to make sure we're 100% on the same page. 90% battery should be enough-

Have the phone standing ready in AP Fastboot mode before you even open the utility. Once the utility is open, plug in the phone and run option 1. I would recommend doing the data wipe, it can't really hurt at this point. Wipe data, then wipe cache, then select apply update from SD card and select the update and let it do its thing.

Here's hoping this works :)

OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
You got it, just gonna clarify a couple quick things to make sure we're 100% on the same page. 90% battery should be enough-

Have the phone standing ready in AP Fastboot mode before you even open the utility. Once the utility is open, plug in the phone and run option 1. I would recommend doing the data wipe, it can't really hurt at this point. Wipe data, then wipe cache, then select apply update from SD card and select the update and let it do its thing.

Here's hoping this works :)

No luck...Already tried 3x's. I'm getting this:
Installing update...
assert failed: mount("ext3", "MID", "system", "/system")

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
:disappointed:

leftspin

Reaction score
That's not a good sign... I think something got seriously screwed up when you tried to fastboot back to GB off of ICS. You could try formatting /system if the option is there in the recovery but to be honest I don't think it'll do anything. Unfortunately I don't really know what else to do at this point. I hate to say it but you might be at the point of no return unless someone else who knows more than me (very possible) comes along

Last edited:
OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
I know. That's what I was afraid of most. Guess it may be back to the old DX for awhile until someone else can suggest another method. But thanks anyways. I may have to save up for the new droid Fighter HD or Razr HD or whatever it's called.lol But have to pay full price to keep my unlimited plan. ;(

leftspin

Reaction score
I know. That's what I was afraid of most. Guess it may be back to the old DX for awhile until someone else can suggest another method. But thanks anyways. I may have to save up for the new droid Fighter HD or Razr HD or whatever it's called.lol But have to pay full price to keep my unlimited plan. ;(

I'm sure that at some point in the near future we'll get .211 fastboot files which will probably unbrick you, but until then it's probably back to the old DX :/ sorry man, what a crappy situation.

If nothing else though, look at this as a learning experience. Always always always ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS read anything and everything you can about what you're doing so that you don't end up with expensive paperweight for a phone