Traded GNex for RAZR...Now having second thoughts...Have some questions though

bamorris2

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I got the GNex on the day of launch. I really wanted to like the phone, and I did in-fact love several of the features. ICS is just amazing IMO. GB is no comparison at all. The OS was so fluid and smooth! But alas, there were a few issues that caused me to return the GNex and get the RAZR instead. I did that 1.5 days ago. And to be honest, I miss the GNex, and I'm thinking about going back to BB and getting the GNex again. But I want to ask if anyone knows if future (soon) updates will address any of these issues. Here are my gripes with the GNex, in order of importance to me.

1. The camera takes poor pictures IMO. They are dull (always) and blurry (sometimes). Conversely, the pics from the RAZR are vibrant. The number 1 reason for upgrading from my DroidX was to get a better camera phone. The GNex had hope with the zero shutter lag feature. And yes, I do focus and re-focus before taking pics, but the colors were still dull. I know some will say to adjust the settings, but I refuse to do that every time I want to take some quick pics.

2. I don't know if it was just my phone or not, but the LED had VERY limited functionality out of the box. It blinked white when I had an email, but that was about it. No LED notification for text messages (stock or ChompSMS) and no notification for missed calls. This is a huge issue for me. Yes, I downloaded Light Flow, but it worked sporadically for me. I think that this phone should natively support LED notification across multiple apps (The RAZR does it flawlessly for me, just as my DX did).

3. The only alarm clock that I've been completely satisfied with is the Blur one. My requirements for a good alarm clock are simple, yet missing from this phone as well as all other alarm clocks that I downloaded from the Market. I want (1) increasing volume [many have this]; (2) slide to dismiss [some have this]; and (3) whole screen acts as a snooze button [only Blur has this]. I downloaded about a dozen different alarm clocks from the Market, and none had all 3 features.

4. The accessories (docs) available for the GNex right now are a joke. Conversely, the ones for the RAZR appear to be solid units. Granted, I have not tried any out yet, so this is just based on observation in the VZW store and their website.

I guess my main issues are #1 and #2, with #1 being the deal-breaker for me. As far as the LED notifications, I "could" deal with Light Flow if I have to. But does anyone know if Google is looking to push out an udpate to address picture quality? And if so, when??

On a side note, has anyone been able to get the Blur alarm clock on the GNex? I read on a post where one user tried to pull the app from his Moto and install on his GNex, but it didn't work for him.

The RAZR is not a bad phone at all. I'm just not sure that it will keep me satisfied for 2 years. Whereas I know that the GNex would if these issues were fixed. I'm not big into modding though.

Reaction score
the razr pics suck. a LOT of digital noise.

the accessories for the bionic/razr are terrible and wrought with probs. (read the forums)

who cares about the LED? but just to mention it's unreliable on the razr too. try it for more than 1.5 days.

the GN has already received on update on the date of launch, and is expected to get 4.0.3 ICS in a couple weeks.

moto has a bad history of updating things properly. they pulled the gingerbread update from all it's froyo phones a day later because of all the probs, and it took over 3 months for the bionic fix, which didn't fix hardly anything with mine. i wouldn't expect ICS on the razr/bionic within the next millennium.

jmo :D

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score

the accessories for the bionic/razr are terrible and wrought with probs. (read the forums)

who cares about the LED? but just to mention it's unreliable on the razr too. try it for more than 1.5 days.

the GN has already received on update on the date of launch, and is expected to get 4.0.3 ICS in a couple weeks.

moto has a bad history of updating things properly. they pulled the gingerbread update from all it's froyo phones a day later because of all the probs, and it took over 3 months for the bionic fix, which didn't fix hardly anything with mine. i wouldn't expect ICS on the razr/bionic within the next millennium.

Gee, thanks for a useless post. Just shot down all of my concerns instead of answering my questions. I would have preferred no response at all.

Reaction score
Gee, thanks for a useless post. Just shot down all of my concerns instead of answering my questions. I would have preferred no response at all.

i did answer your questions, you just didn't like the answer and now you're whining because you wish you kept the GN :D

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
i did answer your questions, you just didn't like the answer and now you're whining because you wish you kept the GN :D

Yeah, okay. I'm not whining at all. Just wanted to see if there is a fix coming for any of my issues with the GNex. And I will only wish that I had kept it if the answer is YES. And if it is yes, then I will simply go back to BB and get it. No big deal.

dustinslee

Reaction score
I am worried my self if they will fix a few things I ain't happy with... I have until Thursday to decide weather to keep the gn or trade for the razr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

RobClay18838

Reaction score
Its googles phone. Its already had I think 2 updates since its launched. They will address all issues just like prior nexus phones id imagine.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
My Nexus takes great pics. Be sure to tap the middle of the screen before taking the shot to focus. Most people just snap away therefor you get blurry pics.

HTC1

Reaction score
I've had both of those phones but I've upgraded to a rezound. Better processor, screen, speaker, and camera. I know people don't like sense but this has the best specs of any phone. u can update software but not hardware

Also have constant 4g unlike the nexus or any moto phone

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
As to your two main concerns, I'm sure the software will get better in regards to the camera. However, I'm not sure the jump in quality will be as much as you hope. I honestly have not had problems with my pics being blurry or with the colors so maybe it was just a bad unit. As to the led, if you tweak the light flow settings it works perfectly. It took a few tries before I had it working exactly as I wanted though. I'm pretty sure they'll work on the led though because you really shouldn't have to have a separate app just to make it work right.
I also miss the blur alarm but I'm learning to live without it. Guess Moto actually had something right lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
As to your two main concerns, I'm sure the software will get better in regards to the camera. However, I'm not sure the jump in quality will be as much as you hope. I honestly have not had problems with my pics being blurry or with the colors so maybe it was just a bad unit. As to the led, if you tweak the light flow settings it works perfectly. It took a few tries before I had it working exactly as I wanted though. I'm pretty sure they'll work on the led though because you really shouldn't have to have a separate app just to make it work right.
I also miss the blur alarm but I'm learning to live without it. Guess Moto actually had something right lol.

Would you be able to share what settings you tweaked with in Light Flow to get it to work perfectly?

Reaction score

Yeah, okay. I'm not whining at all. Just wanted to see if there is a fix coming for any of my issues with the GNex. And I will only wish that I had kept it if the answer is YES. And if it is yes, then I will simply go back to BB and get it. No big deal.

:blink:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Would you be able to share what settings you tweaked with in Light Flow to get it to work perfectly?

The main problem I had was with the SMS Led. Since I use Handcent I also had to check the boxes for Alternate on and alternate off before I got it to work right. After that they started working great. They even alternate between the different colors when I have more than one notification.

kimintenn

Reaction score
I had and still have at times similar concerns that you posted in the original post... #1 for me being the camera. I love the phone though and can't see myself being satisfied with anything else. I've decided that if you are really still and tap the screen, allow it to lock green and then push the camera button that it takes acceptable pictures as long as that object is not the face of a child indoors. LOL (which is what I use mine for often) I've been getting great pictures of everything outside.

I think they'll fix the LED thing soon enough.

If you wanted a better camera you should have went with the Rezound from what I've read... my friend has a Razr and her pictures aren't much better than mine.

wil318466

Reaction score
I just can't believe you traded a GNEX for a Razr. lol, I'm sorry but... wtf were you thinking?

If you're #1 concern is the camera, then I think you have a legitimate issue. The camera on the GNEX is far from perfect. As far as LED all you have to do is download lightflow and change some settings around. My LED blinks different colors and pulses. I like it a lot.

Even speaker volume is fixable by downloading volume+. I dunno man, if you think the RAZR has a better camera and that is your #1 issue, then more power to you, but I'd have never made that trade.