Not bashing, but #3 is far from stellar...G'bye GNEX?

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
First off, I am torn. As much as I like the GNEX, it has far from been reliable.

#1 Bought in Nov 2011, would not hold a signal. Was told by CS that it was probably due to the network and the 4G drops...please wait while we get our sh*t together. Waited about a month and VZW finally said that the unit was defective...please return.

#2 BNIB GNEX...worked till about 2 weeks ago and started losing WiFi, would say connected but nothing. VZW tech at store duplicated the issue and said that I needed to call VZW. After a lot of frustration, I was able to get a Refurbished GNEX sent to me.

#3 Arrived Monday. Will connect to WiFi, but now has random reboots, powers off, lags in orientation and the toggle buttons work sometime and not so much. Loses time...seriously, woke up at 7:30 am late for work and looked at phone, happy blue 4G signal but time said 6:32 am and the alarm was set for 6:37 am...two reboots later and it came back to the present.

So after a long and I mean long talk with CS and Tech...they offered me a 4th one. I can honestly say that I am not happy with the prospect of device #4, the other alternative was a Refurb Rezound. I don't want a Rezound. More nonsense and they finally said they could get me a Refurb RAZR.

The dilemma now is that do I go back to Gingerbread? I like ICS, but I really need a reliable device. Don't care that the RAZR may get ICS in 2013...but am I being unreasonable? Should I wait til 4.0.? finally gets pushed to see if it fixes the GNEX or is this one just a turd. I've done the root thing, but is that a bandaid for the device? I know it's a developer phone and all.

Anyone drop the GNEX and go back to a Moto? I was an OG guy for a while and held off on updates for this phone.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i here of a lot of people doing it for that very reason.. i know 2 gnex users and both could not be happier with there phone . so i think it a user choice . ( granted neither one never connect to wifi unlimeted data and 4g is usually faster )

catfisher

Reaction score
I have had the OG, Droid 2, and now the GNex. I am not happy with everything about this device but I am happy overall. I don't think I could go back to GB now after ICS. If I were to get a Razr I would root right away.

This thing has its quirks and issues but overall it is a good device. Rooting the GNex wasn't so much a band aid for me. It pretty much took care of my issues. My first device was unrooted, tons of issues, and replaced. My second was rooted and it works just fine.

Good luck!

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using DroidForums

OP
R850R

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Point taken, but WiFi at work conserves the battery so that it does not fight looking for a signal 4G/3G...I can leave CDMA on only, but it still drains the battery while sitting at work. I guess I could leave it plugged in, but that really isn't a solution.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went back to the Razr Maxx, then back to the Nexus. The Razr Maxx is awesome - it's a truly incredible device... super reliable/strong signal, obviously incredible battery life, etc. However, I really love the Nexus - the form factor, the feel of the OS, the minimalistic sleek look to it, etc. As a device, I love it.

Now, I live in an area where 4G is strong and I have very few, if any, signal issues with the Nexus. I get sufficient battery life, and am near a charger 95% of my day. I also have had no problems with random reboots, lag etc (which most would probably suggest is related to an app that might not be working well with ICS yet). I've had a couple of Nexuses (Nexi? :tongue:), and the same "lack" of issues on each. I also never travel, so I'm pretty much in my strong area almost all the time.

That said, if I was having even half of the issues you were, I'd drop it in a heartbeat and go back to the Razr Maxx (or other device). Reliability in a phone trumps any form factor, OS, etc.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, supposedly the big problem with the Gnex signal issues is that the radio will actually go to sleep randomly - seemingly more in fringe areas. 4.0.5 has been rumored to fix this issue. The Radio on the Gnex will actually get better throughput than every other LTE phone out there right now b/c it's a class 3 radio (thanks to Snow02 for that info), so hopefully some software patches will help with the signal drops.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I had issues with my first Gnex, namely data/signal drops at least a dozen times a day. Would not stand for that, took it back to get a new one. Decided before hand that if my second one did not solve my signal issues or came with any other issues, I would reluctantly get a Rezound instead, but like many others, general functionality is of utmost importance to me. Luckily the only issue with my second Nexus is a bit of yellowish tint on certain colors at a certain brightness, usually only at night while charging is where it is the worst. I have learned to live with that because this phone is amazing in every other way. I get great signal, decent battery life outside the fact that I am also around chargers most of the day, including a car charger.

Like I said though, I was only going to give it 2 chances, mostly because I wanted to be sure I got a BNIB Rezound before my 14-day return window closed. Were I you, I would probably ditch the phone. Knowing the potential of this phone though, I could never give up on it now. It is simply the best phone I have ever owned.

goosedeath

Reaction score
I'm about to call up cs and demand a replacement phone as my phone has been dropping all service more and more. Last night after I went to bed, it was looking for any kind of signal for over 5 hrs! I wake up and my huge bulbous 3800mah battery is already half dead.
This is my second nexus as well, the first was suffering from multiple reboots a day before I exchanged it. Even after I rooted it. Number two was better, after rooting and putting liquid on it.

Just my experience so far.

Sent from my Galactic Unicorn!

catfisher

Reaction score
I have turned off background processes...it helped. I run wifi at home (duh)...it helps. Custom ROM and kernel, under clocked and undervolted...also helps. These are some easier ways to make life work but if rooting/ROMing are alien to anyone it may not be worth anything.

Signal was iffy at first but has improved some. I imported the radio "fixes" just to see. I am always on 3g as there is no option here. To be fair, I can always call, text, get email, browse, and get scores. Data hasn't been a real huge deal for a while. Whenever the device freaks out and stops transmitting, I restart and all is well.

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Man you really do have some luck. To be honest, giving a phone model 3 different chances is more than enough in my book. The most I went through was 2 with the OG droid and that was due to two blown out speakers. I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any problems with my Nexus, good luck with the Razr

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had to swap out 4 original Droids before I got one that worked 100%. It happens sometimes, but if you're just unhappy with the device I'd try something else.

OP
R850R

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
So far, the GNEX has been fairly stable today. No time warps or random nonsense. Maybe it was just nerves? I'm still being cautious due to being tied to a two yr contract again.

VZW shipped the RAZR, so I should have it Thur or Fri...I guess I'll have to make a better decision once it get's here.

My wife's RAZR has had it's share of hiccups, so I'm not a Moto Fanboi...just need a device that works.

I guess a couple more days and then screw it, if I keep it...I'll root it again.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well no matter the device there are going to be hiccups, I'm sure you know this. However, your situation seems pretty consistent and that would certainly bug the crap outta me. You've given it 3 chances, if you feel the need to switch to the Razr, no hard feelings. It's the people who try it for a week and then call the Nexus a dud due to known issues, that'll bring some hate from others around here. :p

Good luck with your decision.