Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Could some terminal wizard tell me the right scripts I need to punch into the emulator to uninstall the Gmail app so I can update it? Apparently it tried to do it automatically and now I can't get it to reinstall. Thanks!

OP
furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Nope. I can't afford gas to get back and forth to the grocery store, let alone apps for my phone.

Cyanogen's official fix is to install the new Google app pack. While I applaud the fix, I'm finding I enjoy doing it myself, even if someone has to hold my hand to do so. ;)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well at least you know what the important things are ;)

I know the commands to push a system app, let me dig back in my folders and see what I have

Waiting*

O.K. here we go

Remove system app

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk3 /system
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk

Hopefully it works :)

OP
furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That looks a lot better than the scripts I was seeing elsewhere. I'll dig up the pm uninstall part (Do I really need to? It's already BEEN uninstalled during the botched update...) and punch it in as soon as I can.

Word of advice -- if you're chopping Habanero peppers, don't do it bare handed. I absorbed so much that my sweat started to burn my forehead.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
su
sysrw
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
sysro
reboot

Sent from my Droid

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
su
sysrw
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
sysro
reboot

Sent from my Droid
Um, usually "sysrw" and "sysro" are scripts included by a rom builder to shortcut the necessary commands and Cyanogen is not in the habit of including any scripts with his. And somewhere back in my folders/research it was pointed out that it was 'mtdblock4' that needed to be used, not 'mtdblock3'.

So, unfortunately my reply will conflict with the rest. And I'm not going to have you remove the app, just in case:
Code:
su
mount -o remount, rw /dev/block/mtdbock4 /system
mv /system/app/Gmail.apk /system/app/Gmail.bak
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot
good luck

Last edited:
OP
furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Thanks guys! I got it working, eventually. The joys of having to tether to get online...

tparker's command worked, but I had to reboot to finish it. I think part of that was because the market had already tried to update me, but that's neither here nor there. It's good to have all these options in one place! :)

su
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
reboot

That worked for me, but I was absolutely sure I wanted to replace the app. teddyearp had the right idea in backing it up, too. It's too bad the wiki page is down over at cyanogenmod.com, otherwise I could probably get the scripts figured out for anyone else who might like doing things the hard way. ;)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Um, usually "sysrw" and "sysro" are scripts included by a rom builder to shortcut the necessary commands and Cyanogen is not in the habit of including any scripts with his.

Good to know. I've never used cyan : 0

Sent from my Droid

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I got it working, eventually. The joys of having to tether to get online...

tparker's command worked, but I had to reboot to finish it. I think part of that was because the market had already tried to update me, but that's neither here nor there. It's good to have all these options in one place! :)

su
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
reboot

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important part....reboot :)

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important part....reboot :)

Indeed, that was the part that stuck me as well. I had to clear gmail data, delete the Gmail.apk file, REBOOT, then I could go into the market and reinstall it. Then I copied the gmail apk from /data/app to /system/app and rebooted again.

The new Gmail app is great! I hated having to tap twice to reply - this new app only needs one tap! (and has a separate arrow for getting to forward and reply-all). Well done, google.

kevdog

Reaction score
CM 6.0 can have scripts or even scriptybox. Just not by default however -- but its really easy to add these features.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
And somewhere back in my folders/research it was pointed out that it was 'mtdblock4' that needed to be used, not 'mtdblock3'.

For those that are curious:

You can actually type anything you want in there, the mount command doesn't care!
Normally, when you mount a device, you need to specify the device node, the filesystem type, and the mountpoint (or those options need to be either detected or specified in the fstab). When you use the "remount" option, however, you're just changing the mount options (ro to rw), so the device node is not needed (it's already mounted).

The version of mount included with android by default requires all three options, even though only the mountpoint gets used when you use the remount option. The version of mount that CM uses is actually busybox instead - which does not require the extraneous options.

The mtdblock3 / mtdblock4 discrepancy came around because different devices use different partitioning schemes. Somebody at some point tried out a command for a different device, and since it worked fine, they assumed it was correct, posted it online somewhere, and it propogated. Not a big problem, since the only time it gets used is in this remount case, and it's ignored anyway.

In summary, if you use the busybox version of mount (like CM does) all you need to type is this:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Thank you for the info. I also saw something like this posted by Camel way back and he just used 'null' for basically the same reason, i.e.:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system
but yours is even shorter and if there's no harm, then all the merrier.

Thx again.