Question about Foote Explorer and CM6

MaverickVirus

Reaction score
So I keep on running into the issue of wanting to update the official google apps (e.g. gmail, google search) and installation always fails. Does anyone know if I can use something like root explorer to uninstall the gmail.apk and then reinstall via the market... would that work?

Any tips or help is appreciated.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
That sometimes will work. I would rename them .bak though instead of deleting them so if it doesn't you can get them back easily.

Sent from somewhere...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I know the terminal commands work -- but whenever the Google apps are updated, so too is the app pack. That means you just need to reflash the app pack to get them updated if you want an all-in-one solution.

I'd think they could fix it so the individual apps can be updated in the Market, but that's not how thins are.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For any app that is included as part of the rom, updates from the market generally won’t install. This is because they are in system/app, and are designated as read only (unless, like some roms, there is a mechanism that allows system apps to be moved to data to allow for updates). If you really want the updated app, and don’t want to wait for an update to the rom, you can accomplish it in one of three ways.

the easiest way is thru root explorer. go into system/app, and then click the "mount r/w" button (to change the system files from read only to read/write). then find the app, long press on it, and then hit "delete". then push the "mount ro" button to change back to read only, exit out of root explorer and then reboot (this is important to get the change in system apps to "take.") when you boot back up, you should be able to install the app from the mkt, with the update.

the second avenue is thru Terminal Emulator. type in:

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/[name of app].apk
sysro
reboot

again, it's necessary to actually type in "reboot" and enter, to get the change to take.

finally, you can go into the rom zip file, manually delete/remove the app, and then reflash the newly configured rom zip file w/o the system app. then you should be able to dl the updated app from the market.

Word of warning: if you are running a theme, the themed app is for the version that is contained in the rom. If you delete the app in system, and then update from the market, you will lose the “theming”. But, you may be able to go into the theme zip file, extract the app icon, and replace it on your updated app.

OP
MaverickVirus

MaverickVirus

Reaction score
So it looks like the Root Explorer method is the winner? Any objections? And atleast if I try it and it doesn't work, I'll try to get a refund. But I've been hearing good things about it anyway.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
For them that can afford it, yes. For us po boys who can't afford gas to get to the grocery store, let alone the food therein, it's not an option. :)

I could dig up the code if you need it, but it's a pain in the butt to type it all in, so if you have Root Explorer run with that instead.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok, let me clarify: for a non-brainiac simpleton like me, Root Explorer is a must-have... ;)

catpaws

Reaction score
I use the Root Explorer method too. But I rename them to .bak instead of deleting them, just in case.