Gingerbread is a problem

cainb96

Reaction score
Ever since the GB update, my phone has been acting up. It shuts off all the time, particularly when I have my Bluetooth headphones on. I also loose connection to the network even if I'm standing next to a VZ tower. I'm thinking that I need to reinstall the GB update. I did it the second it came out OTA and maybe I got a bad update? I just don't want to loose all my apps. Does the market keep track of apps or should I just jot them down to be safe. Anybody else having problems after the GB update?

ckball52

Reaction score
Installed GB, buttons started not responding, couldn't shut it off; plugged it in, just got hot. After 2 days it wouldn't even boot up. Got a little green light near the top, then that went away, and it was DED...
Took it in to Verizon where I was told "it is totally fried". What can cause that, I asked (innocently, I now realize). "Some software you downloaded," he says. I said, The only thing I've downloaded in a month is the new O/S. "THAT'LL DO IT", HE SAYS!!!!!!!!!
So now, I have a new (reconditioned phone--yeah, it was still on warranty), with GB preinstalled....

chiruscan

Reaction score
Funny how even the Verizon reps acknowledge that it can brick your phone. I walked into a Verizon store the other day and talked to some reps, the one guy who worked there said he hadnt even put GB on his phone due to all the problems people were having.

DXm0dx92

Reaction score
I am a Verizon employee.
The problems facing the DX are the inability of Motorola to execute a proper Partition cache control (i.e shutoff during video, music playback etc.). Gingerbread is muchh smoother than 2.2 however the fact it can run on less space makes troubleshooting the device a pain. Also, Advanced task killer (rechild) now inhibits the 3g connection (why does it request internet control as opposed to earlier releases?) and I have recently seen 4-5 DX's come back (even dx2's) with the on/off issue. Rooted devices running and using cache mate regularly aren't as prone to this but as a Verizon rep, I cannot back rooting your phone as it voids your warranty, so keep that in mind.
the best thing to do is backup your phone via mass storage mode to your desktop, factory data reset it (to rid yourself of the useless and constant sync) and use the on board task list module (located in menu>applications>running task list) or apps like watchdog to monitor the use of system resources. This may not be a solve all, but it works fairly well with my device.

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
If you want a solve all just sbf back to froyo... Personally why would I stay on an update where its going to mess with my phone possibly make me throw my phone or just overall brick it. Plus froyo wasn't all that bad. Or you can always root and go to the tbh gb leak.

Sent From A Modded X

csimo

Reaction score
Please blame Motorola and BLUR, not Google and Gingerbread. Gingerbread works just fine, BLUR is causing most of these problems.

leonozug

Reaction score
Both me and my girlfriend have the X and we both hated the update. All kinds of problems with it, so I SBF'd and went back to Rubix Focused 2.0.1 and I put her on Rubix Blurry 2.0, cause she liked stock 2.2.1, but Blurry is a sweeter version of it. I think Rubix Focused is one of the best Roms ever created for the X hands down. Never any issues or reboots with it ever.

I have a lot of friends with the DX that tell me they hate their phone now with the update as well. I'd help them and SBF their phone for them but they'd just get the annoying update reminder constantly if I didn't root them and block it, and I wouldn't want them to get stuck having to go to Verizon with a rooted phone and get flack if I wasn't around to help them go back to stock beforehand. Verizon definitely needs to get a fix in the works for 2.3.3 soon!