To Gingerbread Or Not To Gingerbread?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's my pleasure brother. I see you around as well, passing it on. Good stuff!

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.9

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
This is where I am right now. Someone asked me what apps are not working under GB. The ones I can think of are:
Google Sky - motions are all reversed
Skeye - motions are all reversed
Essential Widget - FC's every few seconds (behaves for a while after reboot).
All clock widgets will not display time correctly/fails to update. (not even Googles own app)
App Backup and Restore works intermittently.

The other problems I am having with GB:
Market is unstable
Keyboard lags terribly
Swype is unstable
Keyboard reads incorrect key presses
Restarts itself at will
Frequent FC
Frequent loss of WIFI connection
Frequent loss of G3
Phone numbers getting scrambled and merges similar names
Frequently loses wallpaper (needs restart to get it back)
Slows down to virtual stop after a while (needs restart to run)
Loses alert/sound associations (need to re-set)
Alerts are intermittent, often don't work
GPS accuracy is in the toilet
"Can't find GPS" error message (needs restart to work again)
Doesn't know when it is put in to/or removed from the car dock
Doesn't know when it is put in to/or removed from the media dock

This is what I have written down. I think there were a couple other issues that I can't remember at this time.

I have heard numerous rumors of a fix due out in a few weeks and I am hoping to get the fixed GB and have my probs go away. I love the GB interface! I don't want to go back to Froyo, but last night at an astronomy event all GPS functions were either gone completely or reading incorrectly.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
How could I forget the battery draining like I was starting a car on it. I feel like I am always having to recharge the thing!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You seriously need to try a Gingerbread ROM. Apex, Liberty AOSP and ZombieStomped never gave me any of those issues.

BTW, most people with issues need to do a data reset. I hate to keep harping on it but it really does help

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
So far I have done a "wipe cache partition" twice, and done a "wipe data/factory reset" twice. The problems get worse with each factory reset.

To do the roms, does the DX need to be rooted? I don't want to screw up my warrantee.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes you'll need root, but from the look of your posts it can't get any worse!

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.9

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Verizon's tier 2 tech support. The reason, they say, for the problems was that I didn't remove the SD card when I upgraded to GB. She had me remove the card and run the DX without the card. The clock and GPS issues appear to be fixed. Then I replaced the memory card and I am trying it out. Will post more later.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
It's still not right, and she said if this didn't work, to take the SD card out and clear the cache and do a factory reset. Just doing that now and will post the results. If it's still not working, I am going to request a replacement.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Things still aren't right, so they're sending a replacement. I have to wait 5 days fot it, but hopefully it won't have all the problems!

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Well I got the replacement DX, preloaded with GB, and sad to say most of the problems I had with the old one I am having with this one. GPS doesn't say that it can't be found, but is accurate to about 3000 meters. Still losing my wallpaper, but my alerts are working better. Also my battery life is better too. Not sure about the 3G, but it looks to be better. Keyboard isn't any better, with or without Swype. I am so hoping that the update comes soon!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would definitely install the rooted version of GB or a custom ROM if I were you. You really don't have anything to lose since you have so many issues.

A custom ROM will wake up your phone and give you better battery life. If you like the stock feel, I would go with ZombieStomped or Liberty. If you want to get rid of Blur, go with Apex or Liberty AOSP. Justice, CM7 and Liquid are the hardcore AOSP Source ROMs and require you to install from Froyo but give you Gingerbread 2.3.4

Liberty Justice

Branski81

Reaction score
I was all for gingerbread, but today I'm going back to Froyo. WAAAAY too many issues. My phone is constantly lagging. When I'm in an app or watching something for a short time, I go back to the homescreen and it has to load it like when it boots, its always restarting, the screen will go blank at some points and I have to hard reset it. I'm getting way to many upload failures to facebook and email stuff. The "server certificate" on my yahoo isn't valid anymore..? The thing I hate the most, is the constant lag. Its really bad and you can really see it well when switching through homescreens. Gingerbread is sexy, but whatever I have on my phone that is making it act up like this, is making me leave it. Back to Froyo!

Branski81

Reaction score
You seriously need to try a Gingerbread ROM. Apex, Liberty AOSP and ZombieStomped never gave me any of those issues.

BTW, most people with issues need to do a data reset. I hate to keep harping on it but it really does help

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

THE DATA RESET NEVER HELPED! I thought it would, and I completely dreaded it, and I did it to save my phone. I actually lost some of the old issues, and got new ones. If you guys could help me, I just posted a new thread last night on going back to froyo, or maybe a GB rom? But I want to .sbf first. I don't know how to do all this and I need some instructions, step by step. Can someone help?