Gingerbread fails

jkiddkilla

Reaction score
i used z4root now droid x won't update

i used the z4root and now my droidx wwon't install the new gingerbread up date ive tried factory restoring my droid several time even tried to wipe data through recovery still nothing and my text messiging apk that comes stock on the phone is gone i believe i uninstalled it through titamium backup but since i restored my phone the info is gone can anyone help i gont want to spend another 500 on the thunderbolt

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You will have to sbf back to stock using a computer.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sbf requires flashing your phone with stock Froyo putting it back exactly to how it was out of the box.

You will need RSD Lite 4.9, the 2.3.340 VZ sbf file and the current Motorola drivers. You will also need a Windows PC.

There are tons of how to's. You should read those and watch a Youtube video or 2 before you do it. Its simple but you have to follow the instructions.

pool_shark

Reaction score
You can't do OTA updates if you're rooted.

If you want GB, install an already rooted version from the Hack thread.

This is not a correct statement.
Even rooted devices can get OTA updates. It only fails if you have removed, frozen, or renamed any of the preinstalled apps.

kytprice

Reaction score
OK I rooted using Z4root kept it a few days. Until gingerbread came out. Then I used z4 to unroot now the ota will not take. I did not remove or rename any files. Does this mean I have to spf back to get it to install?
P.S. If gingerbread is still that crappy blue the prerelease was I may stick with 2.2 anyway my wife is happy with this phone anyway.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
OK I rooted using Z4root kept it a few days. Until gingerbread came out. Then I used z4 to unroot now the ota will not take. I did not remove or rename any files. Does this mean I have to spf back to get it to install?
P.S. If gingerbread is still that crappy blue the prerelease was I may stick with 2.2 anyway my wife is happy with this phone anyway.

Did you use Titanium Backup to freeze any apps?

To my knowledge the only thing that would make it fail is not having all of the preinstalled apps in place.

kytprice

Reaction score
No all I did was root then install wireless tether. Then I uninstalled wireless tether unrooted and tried the ota. It has failed twice. O well not crazy about the blue anyway.

OP
S

Sponfry

Reaction score
You will need to go back to stock first (sbf to .340) then use method #2 to update. This will give you a pre-rooted GB .596 (oxeded) as you will not be able to get root using Method #1 (for now).

I had a weird thing happen 2day. This morning when my alarm went off, my touch screen was not working. I had to pull the battery and restart my phone. After that the touch screen worked, but now when I rotate my phone, the screen does not. I checked my settings and they r fine. Anybody else have this issue. Is my phone dying?? Hope not, got it set the way I like it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

pool_shark

Reaction score
You will need to go back to stock first (sbf to .340) then use method #2 to update. This will give you a pre-rooted GB .596 (oxeded) as you will not be able to get root using Method #1 (for now).

I had a weird thing happen 2day. This morning when my alarm went off, my touch screen was not working. I had to pull the battery and restart my phone. After that the touch screen worked, but now when I rotate my phone, the screen does not. I checked my settings and they r fine. Anybody else have this issue. Is my phone dying?? Hope not, got it set the way I like it.

It never rotated on the home screen without a 3rd party launcher.

It doesn't rotate in the apps either?

OP
S

Sponfry

Reaction score
My phone is rooted, last week I wiped and downloaded Gingerbread. Some things rotate and somethings don't. ie.... homesreen and phone do not rotate, e-mail does and the app screens do. Confussed.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone is rooted, last week I wiped and downloaded Gingerbread. Some things rotate and somethings don't. ie.... homesreen and phone do not rotate, e-mail does and the app screens do. Confussed.

That's normal. You need to use a launcher to rotate the homescreen

OP
S

Sponfry

Reaction score
Like launcher PRO ?? Also why was it OK yesterday, and then today not ??